IGNORED

How Can It Be Gary Johnson's Fault?

Coach

Gary and his team assess the opposition every week, obviously. He sends out the team that he thinks can do the job, with a gameplan that he hopes will be superior to the opposition's gameplan. He may change things during the game, obviously, and by the 89th minute I would say, overall, one can judge whether Gary has done a good job or not.

Once the 89th minute has ticked by I would say that Gary can do very little; it is down to the players on the pitch to see the game out. I think that is fair.

Once every 89th minute ticked by this season we have been:

LEADING 11 times

Drawing 7 times

Losing 6 times

... that would be 40 pts, a +5 goal difference, and comfortably in the playoffs.

I see it as events after the 89th minute has ticked by as being out of control of either management team bar a manager telling a keeper he can go forward for a corner.

For me Gary is doing well and is absolutely the only man for the job.

I cannot believe some people suggest he is failing and should be sacked. Get a grip.

Gary and his team assess the opposition every week, obviously. He sends out the team that he thinks can do the job, with a gameplan that he hopes will be superior to the opposition's gameplan. He may change things during the game, obviously, and by the 89th minute I would say, overall, one can judge whether Gary has done a good job or not.

Once the 89th minute has ticked by I would say that Gary can do very little; it is down to the players on the pitch to see the game out. I think that is fair.

Once every 89th minute ticked by this season we have been:

LEADING 11 times

Drawing 7 times

Losing 6 times

... that would be 40 pts, a +5 goal difference, and comfortably in the playoffs.

I see it as events after the 89th minute has ticked by as being out of control of either management team bar a manager telling a keeper he can go forward for a corner.

For me Gary is doing well and is absolutely the only man for the job.

I cannot believe some people suggest he is failing and should be sacked. Get a grip.

So, at what point would you concede that he has to go for the sake of the club? Come the end of February when we could easily be bottom 6 (check the fixture list) would you still be saying that he is the man to take us forward? While I, for the first time in ages, actually felt a little sorry for GJ today, if the players cannot be coached to see out a game that they were comfortably winning for the umpteenth time, then I fear that the time has come for change.

So, at what point would you concede that he has to go for the sake of the club? Come the end of February when we could easily be bottom 6 (check the fixture list) would you still be saying that he is the man to take us forward? While I, for the first time in ages, actually felt a little sorry for GJ today, if the players cannot be coached to see out a game that they were comfortably winning for the umpteenth time, then I fear that the time has come for change.

Well, I'd concede that he has to go when we start getting well beaten on a regular basis.

We won't be near the bottom because Gary is too good a manager. His teams regularly lead in games in the Championship, they lead for a long time sometimes. This is not what happens if you have a poor manager in charge.

Of course, we have to start hanging on but sometimes freakish things happen in football as they do in life. In my opinion he is dealing with adversity well and making the right noises of clearing out players if they don't perform, even if he did sign them.

johnson says its a habbit and nothing else!!???

is he taking us for mugs???

if the team tighten up at the back when the board goes up at 90 mins then surely they are under instructions to do so?

if not then its obvious that johnson has lost the dressing room and th eplayers are not listening to the instruction they have been given by the manager??

i am frustrated with the ammount of late goals we have let in and the lack lusture displays that have been put on offer for us supporters!

the only person to blame at the end of the day is gary j!!!

i have been a big fan of him(GJ) during his time here and we would not be here (in my oppinion) if it wasnt for him but enough is enough and i dont think we can go any further with him in control (apart form league 1 on current offerings) and i think maybe it time for a new manager to take us to the next level!

So, it had nothing to do with his substitutions then? If Haynes or Maynard were injured, then i apologise in advance. If not , then there was no reason to take those 2 off.

I thought today was the best weve played for a long time, playing with width, Haynes was outstanding, Clarkson gave us width the other side. Hartley and Skuse were superb in the middle, Elliott getting back to somewhere near his best and Johnson finally picking a team that went out to attack.

When we went down to 10 men, his substitution was spot on, but, why the **** did we need to change the front 2? It was obvious Watford would push another man on, which gave us more space to attack them with pace on the break. Maynard and Haynes caused their defence problems all afternoon, and created chances when Nyatanga went off. We should of kept them on to tie up their defenders.

Im not one of those that want Johnson to go, but i want him to be honest with us and take some responsibility when he gets it wrong. Today he made subs to run the clock down, ( how many times do we slag off Warnock for that?)and paid the price.

It was his **** up today, not the players.

Well it can be his fault because -

a) He picks the team

b) He picks/changes the formation

c) He decides the substitutions.

Now in regards to the last min goal. Once is unlucky, twice is unfortunate, three times - there is something wrong.

You concede an equaliser in the last min occasionally through bad luck. If you consistently concede them, then you deserve to concede.

How many of you can say Watford didn't deserve that goal?

It was coming for 20 mins and they had a good goal disallowed only 10 mins earlier.

How many can say Reading didn't deserve theirs?

Both times, both sides deserved it and were better than us.

Quite frankly when that happens, you look nowhere other than the door of the Manager.

johnson says its a habbit and nothing else!!???

is he taking us for mugs???

if the team tighten up at the back when the board goes up at 90 mins then surely they are under instructions to do so?

if not then its obvious that johnson has lost the dressing room and th eplayers are not listening to the instruction they have been given by the manager??

i am frustrated with the ammount of late goals we have let in and the lack lusture displays that have been put on offer for us supporters!

the only person to blame at the end of the day is gary j!!!

i have been a big fan of him(GJ) during his time here and we would not be here (in my oppinion) if it wasnt for him but enough is enough and i dont think we can go any further with him in control (apart form league 1 on current offerings) and i think maybe it time for a new manager to take us to the next level!

See, I just don't understand this way of thinking.

Do you seriously believe that Gary says "right boys, when that board goes up at 90 minutes I want you all to panic, stop closing players down and don't clear the ball properly" ?

And if they do panic, not close down and fail to clear the ball then he has lost the dressing room?!? Very strange.

Did he also tell Nyatanga to tackle recklessly even after being booked?

Of course some things aren't going perfectly and we'd all do some things differently to what he has/does but his decisions, on the whole, are still seeing his team challenge very strongly - and winning more than losing - against equally matched opponents.

Well this is why it is his fault, It's his team, He has spent more than we ever have on putting it together, It's his tactics, His selections, His Subs, His Man Management and his training.

Well this is why it is his fault, It's his team, He has spent more than we ever have on putting it together, It's his tactics, His selections, His Subs, His Man Management and his training.

Absolutely.....he is quick enough to take the pludits when things go well, so its only right that the buck stops with him if things are not going to plan!

Shaker the reason it's GJ's fault is the following:

Our squad means that we always have at least two players playing out of position:

3-5-2 - our full backs are having to play win back roles and not full back roles which they are most suited for.

4-4-2 either two of our central midfielders have to play left/right midfield or like today Haynes (Striker) plus central midfielder plays right/left midfield.

4-3-3 two of our central strikers have to play wide left/right.

If the squad was balanced and included players who can play in the correct formations, then the pressure would be less at the end of the game as the players would be playing their natural positions and we would be either more than one goal ahead or we would retain possession easier by keeping the shape.

As to the substitutions today - I happen to agree with them - Haynes was knackered and wasnt closing down and was asked repeatedly if he was ok. Maynard wasnt able to hold the ball up nor chase down as Saborio could do but neither of those substitutions affected the result, the goal came from a cross when a foul on our player had been committed and no freekick awarded and our inability to clear the ball from our penalty area - Gerkin (an excellent shot stopper) looked well dodgy on the crosses and a more dominant goalkeeper could have relieved the pressure (whether the oalkeeper could have kept us in the game with the saves Gerkin did make is another discussion and this isnt meant to be a slight on Gerkin as I think he has done very well).

See, I just don't understand this way of thinking.

Do you seriously believe that Gary says "right boys, when that board goes up at 90 minutes I want you all to panic, stop closing players down and don't clear the ball properly" ?

And if they do panic, not close down and fail to clear the ball then he has lost the dressing room?!? Very strange.

Did he also tell Nyatanga to tackle recklessly even after being booked?

Of course some things aren't going perfectly and we'd all do some things differently to what he has/does but his decisions, on the whole, are still seeing his team challenge very strongly - and winning more than losing - against equally matched opponents.

just seems that when the board comes up mate its every man behind the ball and dont panic!!!

when teams are behind by the odd goal they throw everything at you but as already stated once unluky and so on !!!

things are not right and at the end of the day the only person to blame in my oppinion is the manager !

why are the team letting in so many late goals? surely under instruction to see the game out as todays substitutions showed!

if the team are all rushing back to try and defend the lead when the board goes up then why are they doing it?? surely they are under instructions to do so and if not then why are the doing it?

this makes me think has he lost the dressing room or is he getting it all wrong at the momment or maybe even both!

im not one for the sack the manager brigade or slag certain players of because of who there father is!!! but sadly i feel the time is right for a change at manager level

as i said mate gj done cracking job to get us here but unable to take us any further!

Well it can be his fault because -

a) He picks the team

b) He picks/changes the formation

c) He decides the substitutions.

Now in regards to the last min goal. Once is unlucky, twice is unfortunate, three times - there is something wrong.

You concede an equaliser in the last min occasionally through bad luck. If you consistently concede them, then you deserve to concede.

How many of you can say Watford didn't deserve that goal?

It was coming for 20 mins and they had a good goal disallowed only 10 mins earlier.

How many can say Reading didn't deserve theirs?

Both times, both sides deserved it and were better than us.

Quite frankly when that happens, you look nowhere other than the door of the Manager.

How many times have we deserved something out of games we have lost?

These Championship matches are very evenly matched and usually when one team scores the other comes back and dominates. Often a losing team has done everything but score, often the losing team is perceived as being unlucky to have lost.

How was Gary to blame for Peterboro's flicked goal into the very top corner?

And for the joke defending by McCombe and Johnson for Scunny's equaliser?

And for Nyatanga losing Church for Reading's goal?

And for the dodgy pen at Preston?

And for Sheff Utd's ridiculous route one winner?

He can stop all those mistakes can he? Is he God?

All he can do is bring in the players he thinks can help us progress. No manager has anywhere near a perfect record when it comes to transfers and what I like is that Gary has said they will go if they don't perform well enough, even if it was his signing.

As regards your a b and c, yes he does all that and until the dying minutes when other teams go gung-ho and our defenders fail to do their job, he gets the right results more often than not!

I must add the one hillarity of the radio phone in was that 'neutral' chap who then proceeded to lambast every city fan before starting to lord up about Lambert.. at which point he was cut off. Nearly up there with Wayne & Lisa..

I must add the one hillarity of the radio phone in was that 'neutral' chap who then proceeded to lambast every city fan before starting to lord up about Lambert.. at which point he was cut off. Nearly up there with Wayne & Lisa..

A neutral guy who listens out for City, Rovers, Paulton, Swindon and Yeovil.

Seriously - who the fk listens out for Swindon and Yeovil???

I can understand the ex-player bit for Paulton but this was stretching it a tad.

I have a sneaky feeling he might not have been as neutral as he would have liked us to believe!

So, it had nothing to do with his substitutions then? If Haynes or Maynard were injured, then i apologise in advance. If not , then there was no reason to take those 2 off.

I thought today was the best weve played for a long time, playing with width, Haynes was outstanding, Clarkson gave us width the other side. Hartley and Skuse were superb in the middle, Elliott getting back to somewhere near his best and Johnson finally picking a team that went out to attack.

When we went down to 10 men, his substitution was spot on, but, why the **** did we need to change the front 2? It was obvious Watford would push another man on, which gave us more space to attack them with pace on the break. Maynard and Haynes caused their defence problems all afternoon, and created chances when Nyatanga went off. We should of kept them on to tie up their defenders.

Im not one of those that want Johnson to go, but i want him to be honest with us and take some responsibility when he gets it wrong. Today he made subs to run the clock down, ( how many times do we slag off Warnock for that?)and paid the price.

It was his **** up today, not the players.

Quite right. No point whatsoever putting Sproule on for Haynes who was causing Watford all sorts of problems. I'm sure that Haynes would of made more of the chance Sproule was given but his first touch was too strong. No wonder Danny looked a bit upset when subbed.

Saborio is not good enough and subbing Maynard was pointless apart from the fact it put another minute on the clock!

Clarkson deserves a run of games and his 'fitness issues' didn't seem to trouble him as he was one of the most active players on the park.

Pushing Skuse out left was stupid as it took him out of the position where he had proved most effective.

Quite right. No point whatsoever putting Sproule on for Haynes who was causing Watford all sorts of problems. I'm sure that Haynes would of made more of the chance Sproule was given but his first touch was too strong. No wonder Danny looked a bit upset when subbed.

Saborio is not good enough and subbing Maynard was pointless apart from the fact it put another minute on the clock!

Clarkson deserves a run of games and his 'fitness issues' didn't seem to trouble him as he was one of the most active players on the park.

Pushing Skuse out left was stupid as it took him out of the position where he had proved most effective.

I agreed with the Clarkson subsitution.

We were down to ten me and had just had a central defender sent off.

When you are 4-4-2, you obviously bring on Fontaine and do 4-4-1.

However as regards the others, I agree with you 100%

Well, I'd concede that he has to go when we start getting well beaten on a regular basis.

We won't be near the bottom because Gary is too good a manager. His teams regularly lead in games in the Championship, they lead for a long time sometimes. This is not what happens if you have a poor manager in charge.

Of course, we have to start hanging on but sometimes freakish things happen in football as they do in life. In my opinion he is dealing with adversity well and making the right noises of clearing out players if they don't perform, even if he did sign them.

If Plymouth win there game in hand we could be 8pts off a relegation spot, if the 2 teams below us win their games in hand we WILL be a lot closer as well.

Got to be close to time, his players arent doing it, he has to get some different ones quick or he has to go; BECAUSE WE CANNOT GO DOWN.

Much better team performance today which would have resulted in a win if certain player hd not let themselves and their team mates down.

GJ picked a team to win today which appeared to work for 70 mins until a stupid tackle completely changed the course of the game. Why did he get a standing ovation for two yellow cards?

Other individuals also need to up their games but am not going to name names as my opinions will be different from some people.

I agreed with the Clarkson subsitution.

We were down to ten me and had just had a central defender sent off.

When you are 4-4-2, you obviously bring on Fontaine and do 4-4-1.

However as regards the others, I agree with you 100%

I didn't make myself clear.

Yes, someone had to come off and I suppose Clarkson was the obvious choice, but he had done really well until then and was still chasing down the ball well.

I would start him over Saborio.

• Admin
If Plymouth win there game in hand we could be 8pts off a relegation spot, if the 2 teams below us win their games in hand we WILL be a lot closer as well.

Got to be close to time, his players arent doing it, he has to get some different ones quick or he has to go; BECAUSE WE CANNOT GO DOWN.

Plymouth's game in hand is against Barnsley (which uses up one of Barnsley's games in hand).

Doncaster's game in hand is against Newcastle.

Just trying to cheer you up a bit as you seem a little down about this....

I think Johnson deserves some credit for trying to change the over cautious style that he's been dishing out for a season and a half. Today the tempo was far higher than it has been with City attacking with greater confidence. We still didn't create that many chances but at least the intention was there.

I don't blame Johnson for the late goal. His substitutions were spot on. It was not having an out ball that caused the pressure and of course having only 10 men didn't help.

I was genuinely pleased to see City at least try and be more entertianing. Lets hope Johnson encourages more of the same from here on in.

• Admin
I didn't make myself clear.

Yes, someone had to come off and I suppose Clarkson was the obvious choice, but he had done really well until then and was still chasing down the ball well.

I would start him over Saborio.

Generally I thought attacking wise we did better today but defensively was as bad as its ever been.

Bradley's never been a great passer but there was a 10 minute spell in the second half where he actually gave up his whole game completely after a few wayward ones got to him and even had to be told by Carey to conduct basic things like marking his winger at throw-ins & free-kicks. I honestly thought even Gary might consider throwing a debut to young Edwards he was that bad. Then Lewin got himself into trouble and that all went out the window. Except Bradders' passing, that was still shit.

Tomorrow I'd get straight on the phone to Mr Ablett at Stockport, apologise & inform him we need Christian back ASAFP and he'd be straight into my line-up for Saturday. As would Liam for Lewin (which I'd have done regardless of any ban). Then I'd have a look in the yellow pages for Left Backs and hope I got lucky in January.

The rest of the team I'd leave as it started at 3pm. Unless of course I'd signed a left winger. Then I'd drop Marvin (who wasn't brilliant but did actually make a couple of decent "Marv of old" challenges in the second half Alamo reconstruction).

I think Johnson deserves some credit for trying to change the over cautious style that he's been dishing out for a season and a half. Today the tempo was far higher than it has been with City attacking with greater confidence. We still didn't create that many chances but at least the intention was there.

I don't blame Johnson for the late goal. His substitutions were spot on. It was not having an out ball that caused the pressure and of course having only 10 men didn't help.

I was genuinely pleased to see City at least try and be more entertianing. Lets hope Johnson encourages more of the same from here on in.

I think - apart from the introduction of Fontaine - that his substitutions were incorrect, added time to the game that could only work in the favour of the opposition, and that the 'fresh' players were not as effective as the one they replaced.

Guest bigcheese

GJ: ""You have to win the first header, the second header, the third header and so on. We just don't seem to be able to do that. Nobody seems to be dominant enough to go 'bang' clear it, squeeze up and don't let them back in there.

"Unfortunately as soon as that fourth official's board goes up our boys are caught by elastic bands which pull them back into the penalty area. I know the opposition are going to throw bodies in there."

I am guessing apart from waving hands and the odd shouted instruction the manager doesnt have much say in the match when it gets going. But the whole team seemed quite willing to camp back in the penalty area and when they had the chance to get rid they passed and fumbled about and gifted Watford another attack. One for the training ground perhaps. Not sure who's fault that makes it.

(apart from that a very positive performance)

Totally agree, it looked like the players were being allowed to play, and they seemed to be enjoying it more. I also thought it was 4-4-2, with most of the players looking comfortable. Unlike others, I can't say that I saw anything in Clarkson to justify an outlay of £800K. Good to see 3 youngsters on the bench, the way the game developed, it was right to keep them there, let's hope it was not just a one-off.

Generally I thought attacking wise we did better today but defensively was as bad as its ever been.

Bradley's never been a great passer but there was a 10 minute spell in the second half where he actually gave up his whole game completely after a few wayward ones got to him and even had to be told by Carey to conduct basic things like marking his winger at throw-ins & free-kicks. I honestly thought even Gary might consider throwing a debut to young Edwards he was that bad. Then Lewin got himself into trouble and that all went out the window. Except Bradders' passing, that was still shit.

Tomorrow I'd get straight on the phone to Mr Ablett at Stockport, apologise & inform him we need Christian back ASAFP and he'd be straight into my line-up for Saturday. As would Liam for Lewin (which I'd have done regardless of any ban). Then I'd have a look in the yellow pages for Left Backs and hope I got lucky in January.

The rest of the team I'd leave as it started at 3pm. Unless of course I'd signed a left winger. Then I'd drop Marvin (who wasn't brilliant but did actually make a couple of decent "Marv of old" challenges in the second half Alamo reconstruction).

I agree with you on a few points here. We did look better in attack, I think Clarkson helps - unfit or not?!

I rate Orr a lot but as you say he would never run a distribution company. I would like to see Ribs given a go as you do. The old 'Two players competing for each place' is a good idea.

Also, an alternative option to Mr McAllister would be good as he doesn't 'bring enough to the table'.

How many times have we deserved something out of games we have lost?

These Championship matches are very evenly matched and usually when one team scores the other comes back and dominates. Often a losing team has done everything but score, often the losing team is perceived as being unlucky to have lost.

How was Gary to blame for Peterboro's flicked goal into the very top corner?

And for the joke defending by McCombe and Johnson for Scunny's equaliser?

And for Nyatanga losing Church for Reading's goal?

And for the dodgy pen at Preston?

And for Sheff Utd's ridiculous route one winner?

He can stop all those mistakes can he? Is he God?

All he can do is bring in the players he thinks can help us progress. No manager has anywhere near a perfect record when it comes to transfers and what I like is that Gary has said they will go if they don't perform well enough, even if it was his signing.

As regards your a b and c, yes he does all that and until the dying minutes when other teams go gung-ho and our defenders fail to do their job, he gets the right results more often than not!

I think the argument is that if we played a more attacking formation it wouldn't have mattered about any of those goals because we would have had that famous two or even three goal cushion. In reality we may have lost one or two but 3 points for a win rewards teams who aren't cautious and go for the win.

Plymouth's game in hand is against Barnsley (which uses up one of Barnsley's games in hand).

Doncaster's game in hand is against Newcastle.

Just trying to cheer you up a bit as you seem a little down about this....

:laugh: thats o.k. we will go to them if they cant come to us :yes:

We will have to get very lucky in Jan as I dont think we will have to many pound notes to spend early and will prob pick something up at the end on loan.

Yellow pages seems a more likely saviour :phone:

Archived