IGNORED

Poll;if Danny Wilson Had Stayed After Brighton Playoff..

the frampton balti

I Do not wish to discredit GJ's achievments in any way.

Personally I'm not so sure. Possibly things needed freshening up at the time.Although the play off final ,dour as it was, could definitely be considered as progress on previous seasons.

I do, however ,reckon that if he manages to get swindon up this year , he would have acheived the same with City.

Guest pogopete
a big NO from me.

Lets not forget he had 4 years at city - in a poor league where city were big spenders compared to the rest.

Wilson problem was his teams inconsistency as good as any team in the league one game another day they were terrible.

His problem was he never had the bottle to sort out the dressing room which to there credit Tinnion & Johnson did.

I wanted Peter Taylor as Manager instead of Wilson at the time although he has never really made an impact since

Probably not - He made far too many mistakes in his last season, and I think it needed a change. The poor showing against Brighton really sealed his fate.

With reference to big spenders, we were not that big in comparison to Fulham, Wigan and Cardiff, we also had competition from a very strong Crewe side and QPR, so the League was not that poor, as Leeds have discovered in recent years. It's not what you spend, it's how well you spend it.

Quite. Shouldve been sacked alone for not starting Lita

Singly the biggest mistake he made with us. It was a essentially a cup final and we had no proper striker on the pitch or bench to win it! Hindsight is a wonderful thing but that was a simple decision surely and i suspect he cringed at every single one of Lita's 29 goals the following season!

Quite. Shouldve been sacked alone for not starting Lita

What the young bit parter that showed no signs of being a half decent striker - the player that many described as "a headless chicken".

my my my what a wonderful thing hindsight is.

Wilson problem was his teams inconsistency as good as any team in the league one game another day they were terrible.

His problem was he never had the bottle to sort out the dressing room which to there credit Tinnion & Johnson did.

I wanted Peter Taylor as Manager instead of Wilson at the time although he has never really made an impact since

:noexpression: really?? how did Tins sort it out?

What the young bit parter that showed no signs of being a half decent striker - the player that many described as "a headless chicken".

you are joking right? first time I saw him play I could see he was going to be a goalscorer who would play at a higher level.

Not with the restricted budget he was going to be forced to work with. Wilson had players who, in terms of pure ability, were well above the standard for the division but he couldn't get the best out of them.

He had 4 years and £2m to spend and he didn't manage it. That should have been more than enough. Let's not pretend that the football was all brilliant either. It started off good but towards the end it was as dull as ditchwater.

In terms of off the pitch discipline the club was in a complete mess with players free to do pretty much as they liked, which is why so many of them failed to reach their full potential. With the examples set by senior players like Peacock and Matthews, the young lads had next to no chance of developing into quality professionals. Tinnion could at least recognise the problem but it took Johnson to sort it out.

As for Lita, he looked like a goalscorer to me from day one. Like Shaun Goater before him it was often hard to justify quite what he was doing right but the ball always seemed to go off him into the goal. Not having him in the squad for the playoff final was frankly retarded.

You must have bad memory. He played quite few games that season, and looked decent, as well as scoring many goals in the reserves which showed he might be reasonable. I don't remember many saying he was a headless chicken- a player who had potential.

For him not to be on the bench was a bad decision when we had no other strikers on there.

I've always wondered how we would have fared if GJ had taken over that squad immediately after Danny left.

If GJ had been able to instill proper discipline back then would those players have fulfilled their potential here and would we have reached the CCC earlier?

you are joking right? first time I saw him play I could see he was going to be a goalscorer who would play at a higher level.

No i'm not joking - he was a bit part player that many fans thought was a useless headless chicken at the time. You might have though that but many conveniently forget that they though he was S**t that season because of what happened the season after when everyone all of sudden realized he was the best striker we had had since Ade.

You cannot be serious. Lita scored pretty much every time he came on as a sub! I seem to remember pretty much everyone saying he needs to play more so to not take him to the biggest game of Wilson's reign was ridiculous!

No i'm not joking - he was a bit part player that many fans thought was a useless headless chicken at the time. You might have though that but many conveniently forget that they though he was S**t that season because of what happened the season after when everyone all of sudden realized he was the best striker we had had since Ade.

no way was he shit. he was a typical goalscorer. does not do alot for most of a game then suddenly is in the right place at the right time....

during that season alot of people were calling for him to have a proper chance.

Most could see he was quality - apart from danny wilson,

Not with the restricted budget he was going to be forced to work with. Wilson had players who, in terms of pure ability, were well above the standard for the division but he couldn't get the best out of them.

He had 4 years and £2m to spend and he didn't manage it. That should have been more than enough. Let's not pretend that the football was all brilliant either. It started off good but towards the end it was as dull as ditchwater.

In terms of off the pitch discipline the club was in a complete mess with players free to do pretty much as they liked, which is why so many of them failed to reach their full potential. With the examples set by senior players like Peacock and Matthews, the young lads had next to no chance of developing into quality professionals. Tinnion could at least recognise the problem but it took Johnson to sort it out.

As for Lita, he looked like a goalscorer to me from day one. Like Shaun Goater before him it was often hard to justify quite what he was doing right but the ball always seemed to go off him into the goal. Not having him in the squad for the playoff final was frankly retarded.

Spot on!

For what it's worth, i didn't think Lita was anything special and never really rated him.

At the time, i had a season ticket in the Dolman and was always surprised that no one else noticed just how poor a footballer he was. Give me the Goat anytime, rather than Lita.

I think Maynard is twice the player he ever was.

For what it's worth, i didn't think Lita was anything special and never really rated him.

At the time, i had a season ticket in the Dolman and was always surprised that no one else noticed just how poor a footballer he was. Give me the Goat anytime, rather than Lita.

I think Maynard is twice the player he ever was.

for me, a good striker isnt about whether he can pass the ball like Ronaldo, its whether he knows what positions to get in, and if he knows where the back of the net is. Lita was a quality striker from day one

for me, a good striker isnt about whether he can pass the ball like Ronaldo, its whether he knows what positions to get in, and if he knows where the back of the net is. Lita was a quality striker from day one

I agree he could score goals, i just never took to him.

The Goat was a complete donkey, but i thought he was amazing.

I think the point i'm trying to make is that everyone knew Goater was useless as footballer (even the Man C fans), but he scored goals and had an endearing quality.

Lita has no such quality and the people around me genunely thought he was something special (he was never good enough for the premier league). This is probabaly what annoyed me, but i agree his goal scoring record was good and at the end of the day, that's all that matters for a striker.

no way was he shit. he was a typical goalscorer. does not do alot for most of a game then suddenly is in the right place at the right time....

during that season alot of people were calling for him to have a proper chance.

Most could see he was quality - apart from danny wilson,

I want to be clear here because I dont think your understanding what im saying - I am not saying he is or was shit.

To my recollection at the time a lot of people were saying how shit they "thought" he was and I can remember a lot of word like "headless chicken", "useless" and "looks busy but doesn't actually do anything" all being banded around.

Its a bit like looking back 4 years and saying how great Skuse was back then because of what he has done this year - up until this year a lot of people have been saying that they thought he was weak he has since proved them wrong much like the people that didn't rate Lita were proved wrong the season after the playoffs.

You patronising cock...and an uninformed one at that

So you don't remember the groans when ever he was bought on to the pitch - I don't know what is uninformed about my post I remember a lot of supporters refereed to him as a headless chicken that just ran about a lot and never actually did anything.

I want to be clear here because I dont think your understanding what im saying - I am not saying he is or was shit.

To my recollection at the time a lot of people were saying how shit they "thought" he was and I can remember a lot of word like "headless chicken", "useless" and "looks busy but doesn't actually do anything" all being banded around.

Its a bit like looking back 4 years and saying how great Skuse was back then because of what he has done this year - up until this year a lot of people have been saying that they thought he was weak he has since proved them wrong much like the people that didn't rate Lita were proved wrong the season after the playoffs.

And I'm saying that most thought he was good enough AT THAT TIME.

So you don't remember the groans when ever he was bought on to the pitch - I don't know what is uninformed about my post I remember a lot of supporters refereed to him as a headless chicken that just ran about a lot and never actually did anything.

Not round where I was sitting, no. Everyone seemed delighted that an exciting, young, goalscoring player was coming on. I genuinely can't remember anybody being disappointed to see him come on.

You probably sit in the Williams then. They would groan if we brought Kaka off the bench.

Archived