IGNORED

What Would You Do?

Us_and_Them

Can you really support 2 two teams? properly? like we all support city?

If they are a prem team (who just happen to be in the top 4) then of course you cant...

You may think you do. But its not the same...

I worked with a lad who "supported" man utd... The season city went up man utd won the league - I celebrated our promotion by running on the pitch then when out drank loads.... did'nt get home til 8am - got totally wrecked...

My mate.... had a cup of tea.... He never see's them play and expects "his" team to win the league....

Not the same at all

It really gets on my nerves when people say I support Man Utd, Liverppol, Chelsea etc - cos really I know they probabaly just buy a shirt once a year and watch "their" team on the telly at home of in the pub.

The reason i do FOLLOW man utd is cause when i was younger nobody took me down the gate, so the only football i got to watch was on the box and for some reason i chose man utd winner_third_h4h.gif, but since my first city game im city through and through, thats where most my wages go after all on trains, away tickets, hotels etc.

The 'for some reason' you started supporting Man. Utd was probably because they were winning almost every week.whistle.gif

Better a sinner repented and all that, but now that you've seen the lightwinner_third_h4h.gif why not dump the club for Mancunians.dunno.gif

They wouldn't have a good word to say about your home town club, you can be sure of that.

The 'for some reason' you started supporting Man. Utd was probably because they were winning almost every week.whistle.gif

Better a sinner repented and all that, but now that you've seen the light:winner_third_h4h: why not dump the club for Mancunians.dunno.gif

They wouldn't have a good word to say about your home town club, you can be sure of that.

A lot of Red Mancunians refer to us as 'carrot crunchers' - they haven't played us for so long that they've forgotten who we are. At least the likes of Baaadiff and the various Cockney clubs are more with it in calling us 'Wurzels'. :winner_third_h4h:

Team names get reeled out many times, and nos. 9, 10 & 11 are usually MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt.

A fine Half Man Half biscuit album too!

Back on topic, I don't subscribe to this supporting more than one team lark myself. Have a soft spot for West Ham stemming from the Brooking, Bonds, Lampard Snr era, but that's as far as it goes.

I dont buy the whole 'I support' Man UTD thing. Support being the key word.

For me support is buying tickets to watch your club and getting your bum in the ground and supporting your team vocally.

Too many say they support Man U/Chelsea etc just because they are the 'best' and rub it in there Liverpool 'supporting' mate's face when they get one over on them.

I SUPPORT BCFC because I love the club I invest in on a yearly basis and am there week in week out (minus some away games.)

I dont buy the whole 'I support' Man UTD thing. Support being the key word.

For me support is buying tickets to watch your club and getting your bum in the ground and supporting your team vocally.

Too many say they support Man U/Chelsea etc just because they are the 'best' and rub it in there Liverpool 'supporting' mate's face when they get one over on them.

I SUPPORT BCFC because I love the club I invest in on a yearly basis and am there week in week out (minus some away games.)

Do they?

Funny old world, it was just City or Rovers in my younger days.noexpression.gif

Do they?

Funny old world, it was just City or Rovers in my younger days.b%3Eression.gif

Years ago you'd also see 'BCFC' 'BRFC' 'Tote End Aggro' 'East End Aggro' etc daubed in red or blue spray paint all over Bristol. When a big opposition club would visit us or the Gas you'd see their logos sprayed everywhere. You don't see that these days as it seems to be the in thing to have banksy style grafitti. I don't remember many Bristolians 'supporting' non Bristol clubs years ago.

Sadly yes. Walk around town and you will see as many prem shirts as BCFC shirts if not more.

I know about the shirts, just didn't realise they'd reached the depths of having competitions amongst themselves to get at each other when one of 'their' teams was doing better. b>ression.gif

I don't expect they get much actual stick for wearing their Premier League shirts around town - those wearing City/Rovers shirts are more likely get abuse from the 'opposition', so that may partly explain it.

In the late 70's many young City and Rovers fans had motorbikes and part of the uniform was wearing your football colours. I used to wear my City scarf more or less full time, as did many others. We used to shout at each other/gesticulate/ try and burn each other off at junctions etc. all over town but it never came to blows.

Mind you, Tiffany's on a Tuesday, after 'hi ho silver lining' was played could be interesting.innocent06.gif

Isnt the positive GJ loyalist and starter of pro GJ threads a keen Gooner?

I'm from Manchester and was ST holder in Stretford end, I still have a soft spot for ManU, but my love is for City now, noone else. I could never envisage a situation where i would be supporting any other team aapt from City.

Many of us support a prem team as well as city, so i guess the question is, would you then drop your support for that team?

For most people should probably read "Many of us take a vague interest in a prem team"

Its a shame the definition of 'support' means so many things as it clouds the issue.

For most people should probably read "Many of us take a vague interest in a prem team"

Its a shame the definition of 'support' means so many things as it clouds the issue.

Very true, support means different things to different people, but thats what i meant, take an interest etc....

City is my one & only team, apart from the england team of course! :englandsmile4wf:

Isnt the positive GJ loyalist and starter of pro GJ threads a keen Gooner?

I'm from Manchester and was ST holder in Stretford end, I still have a soft spot for ManU, but my love is for City now, noone else. I could never envisage a situation where i would be supporting any other team aapt from City.

I've got family from Manchester so I keep an eye on their results, nothing more. These 'fans' who support prem teams don't know what it's like to 'support' or love their club. I do feel sorry for them if i'm honest. Scoring a last minute equaliser against one of your arch rivals or watching the under 18s play a 3rd round match on ITV. Which would you choose?

I was just interested to know what people would do if we reach the prem.....

Many of us support a prem team as well as city, so i guess the question is, would you then drop your support for that team?

Speak for yourself. I have only ever supported one team, Bristol City, and I'd be truly amazed if more than half of Bristol City fans also 'so-called' supported a Prem team. Yes I take an active interest in the PL and watch basically every game that is on Sky, just as I follow Leagues 1 & 2 and even some foreign leagues. I usually vouch for the underdog, although I have certain teams I really do not like, for example Liverpool, whereas I have teams I do like, such as Aston Villa, as I apprecaiate their style of play/manager etc. However at the end of the day I couldn't give 2 shits who won the PL and Bristol City is the only team that I am delighted with when we win or miserable all week when we lose. How on earth you can so'called 'support' a team that you never go to watch is beyond me.

Easy question, if City got in the prem i would renew my s/t and carry on supporting them like i have for the last 20 years..

Anyone that has to sit down and think about ''hmm who am i going to support, Man Ure or City'' needs to question there support tbh!

So you're from the former roundhead stronghold of Manchester. Manchester has an excellent statue of Oliver Cromwell in battledress with drawn sword and leather body armour. I think the statue was moved from outside the Cathedral to Wythenshawe park? Perhaps if Bristol had a statue of Cromwell we'd be more successful at football as the City of Manchester clubs have been? :englandsmile4wf:

I think it's easy to support a Premier League team when your young. All the kids at school supported Premier League teams. They have high profile players and are constantly on TV and in newspapers/magazines. Don't think City were in Shoot or Match when I was a boy!

Having said that, I would be nice to have kids supporting City but it's all down to parents taking Kids to Ashton Gate every weekend. And it's better now that second tier football coverage is better.

I would always want Man Utd to win in the Premier League and I have no affiliation with Manchester, but I was young but got taken to Ashton Gate so much that it sank how passionate people were for their local team.

For ancient family dynastic reasons, I feel I owe a certain loyalty to Small Heath Alliance (Birmingham City these days).

However ,whenever a crunch has occured and CITY (us) played the Blues it's been CITY all the way.

Meanwhile, back in Melbourne, I always played lipservice to Melbourne Victory, however, a new "A "league side is in the process of being formed here and they will be playing in red-and-white.

Hmmmm.

Perhaps if Bristol had a statue of Cromwell we'd be more successful at football as the City of Manchester clubs have been? englandsmile4wf.gif

Perhaps they could erect it on the site of Bristol Castle that he destroyed. I'm sure we're all grateful to him for removing that part of our heritage. protest.gif

I was just interested to know what people would do if we reach the prem.....

Preposterous!

I wonder if there are any gasshit heads!

imagine someone with dual seasonticketship............Preposterous........Sorry its my favourite word today...............PREPOSTEROUS!!!!!

Perhaps they could erect it on the site of Bristol Castle that he destroyed. I'm sure we're all grateful to him for removing that part of our heritage. protest.gif

Castles were used to subjugate local populations, a free people doesn't need castles from which Norman/French descended Toffs can subjugate the local population. Hang on a minute, the Toffs have built themselves a brand new Magistrates' Court next to the central bus station from which to subjugate us. rofl2br.gif

I grew up in Leicester, and after a few misguided years "supporting" Chelsea, after watching them win the 1970 FA Cup Final replay, I saw the light once I was old enough actually to go to games, and followed Leicester properly for a few years, including the first couple of years I was in Bristol, in the early 80s. Then started watching City regularly. It's probably fair to say I had divided loyalties for a few years, but happily (for me) the two teams didn't meet much in the 80s. I suppose for a while they were my "Premier League" team, and I went to watch them from time to time when City weren't playing somewhere I wanted to go.

I realised a couple of seasons ago that Leicester had become just another away team where City was concerned. So...after we beat Cardiff on Tuesday I will be in my usual seat for the 5th round game, supporting City with no reservations. But if we did happen to lose, I'll certainly be hoping Leicester go as far as they can in the competition.

I guess some on here would say you shouldn't ever change your team, and that I should still be travelling back to Leicester every other week to watch my home town team. But I've now lived in Bristol for longer than I was in Leicester, and have got my kids into the Ashton Gate experience. It'll never be quite the same for me as it is for those of you who've only ever supported the one club - but I think I've done my apprenticeship now, and count myself as a proper City fan.

Preposterous!

I wonder if there are any gasshit heads!

imagine someone with dual seasonticketship............Preposterous........Sorry its my favourite word today...............PREPOSTEROUS!!!!!

Years ago, I reckon there were quite a few of our Grandparents' generation that would watch City one week and Rovers the next. The real serious rivalry developed in the late 1950's so I've been told.

Archived