IGNORED

Gary Hooper Scunthorpe

WarksRed

I wonder if any bid would include McCombe going in the opposite direction?

Mind you, If we take Hooper, their left-winger Martin Woolford could supply his ammunition.

Now, who else can we sell to accomodate him?

Marvin?

Been a long time since he supplied any ammunition.

Very good player, however several things make this unbelievable.... 1) it's in the mirror. 2) we don't have 1.5m to spend. And 3) we already have 5 strikers unless perhaps he sees haynes as a winger now.

I would be very happy if he signs and happy as larry if mccombe went the other way, just very unlikely.

If there is any truth in it we need to remember that players go in the

opposite direction. Who would be worth selling to fund a £1.5 mil

signing? Assuming a like for like replacement, it only leaves Maynard.

lets just hope the story has no legs.

Given the chairman's recent downbeat remarks about the January transfer window, the state of the finances and the current composition of the squad, I would have thought this is very, very unlikely.

Given the chairman's recent downbeat remarks about the January transfer window, the state of the finances and the current composition of the squad, I would have thought this is very, very unlikely.

Not at all. When it comes to money SL is as slick as they come. Everyone knows he's loaded and Clubs will look to hold us to ransom if they know we are looking to strengthen. Suggesting GJ ha no money to spend would give selling clubs less leverage, not much but some.

If GJ said, get me this player and i'll get you a top 6 SL would back him, SL has allways supported his Managers and SL has never said there is no money available at all...

I hope we get him, but we'll see. not holding my breath

I figure Hooper is a pretty tidy player but we already have a few forwards who fit the medium height, nippy good finisher criteria, I cant see why we would want to splash out on another? If it was some big dirty elbows kind of player, like dexter blackstock I could believe it. I wonder who the "Irons" are instead?!

I'm fairly sure this can't be true. Quality player or otherwise, if Johnson signs another forward I will have to start joining those who doubt his abilities. With Maynard, Haynes, Clarkson, Saborio and Akinde he should have all the golf clubs he needs and I can't see adding to that list being much help at all.

I don't mind if City don't sign anyone in January but if they do it should be a wide attacking midfielder or a defender.

I'm fairly sure this can't be true. Quality player or otherwise, if Johnson signs another forward I will have to start joining those who doubt his abilities. With Maynard, Haynes, Clarkson, Saborio and Akinde he should have all the golf clubs he needs and I can't see adding to that list being much help at all.

I don't mind if City don't sign anyone in January but if they do it should be a wide attacking midfielder or a defender.

GJ likes 5 forwards so if Hooper or any other striker was coming in you'd have to assume 1 of Clarkson or Maynard is off.

GJ likes 5 forwards so if Hooper or any other striker was coming in you'd have to assume 1 of Clarkson or Maynard is off.

Well I don't think Maynard will go now because nobody in the top flight (or anywhere else) is spending any money. I'd have thought we could afford to hang onto him for anything up to £5m and I can't see anyone paying that right now.

It *could* be Clarkson because Johnson at least seems to like correcting his mistakes* quickly. However if that's the case I think we'd have to start looking at the number of mistakes he's been making.

*I'm not saying Clarkson is a mistake, but if Johnson did get rid of him so soon that would be saying as much.

Not at all. When it comes to money SL is as slick as they come. Everyone knows he's loaded and Clubs will look to hold us to ransom if they know we are looking to strengthen. Suggesting GJ ha no money to spend would give selling clubs less leverage, not much but some.

If GJ said, get me this player and i'll get you a top 6 SL would back him, SL has allways supported his Managers and SL has never said there is no money available at all...

I hope we get him, but we'll see. not holding my breath

Fair shout: take your points absolutely.

However, the other thing about this story that puzzles me is that this guy is, as I understand it, an out-and-out striker. People on this site don't often agree unanimously about anything, but there seems to be an almost overwhelming consensus for once that we are a low scoring side not because of a lack of able forwards, but because of an essentially over-cautious mindset that is reflected in team selection and tactics.

There have been times over the last year when I've felt that we could have had Michael Owen up front and he wouldn't have scored. We already have a £2.25m striker in Maynard who started the season on a red-hot streak and who is now struggling for so much as a sniff of goal in most games. Playing up front for City at the moment must be one of the most unrewarding and difficult jobs in football, which is the main reason why people like RR are constantly complaining about the lack of entertaining football.

I would find it very surprising if it turned out to be true that we are prioritising a central striking position as a part of the team to be strengthened, especially in the wake of acknowledgements from the manager that a left-sided wide player is needed and his comments about strengthening the defence because of the recurring problem of conceding late goals. Don't misunderstand me, I am not necessarily agreeing that we should be scouting center-halves (thought a replacement for McCombe would not go amiss), but as others have said, I can't see the point of spending all your pocket money on another forward who will struggle for goals, as all our previous strikers have tended to do, unless we start playing more progressiive football and creating more chances.

Hooper may well be a very good player who would strengthen the squad, but it still seems an odd choice of priorities to me in the overall context of our season.

Well I don't think Maynard will go now because nobody in the top flight (or anywhere else) is spending any money. I'd have thought we could afford to hang onto him for anything up to £5m and I can't see anyone paying that right now.

It *could* be Clarkson because Johnson at least seems to like correcting his mistakes* quickly. However if that's the case I think we'd have to start looking at the number of mistakes he's been making.

*I'm not saying Clarkson is a mistake, but if Johnson did get rid of him so soon that would be saying as much.

Looking at Clarkson, I can't (yet) see anything he gives us that Trundle didn't. In fact I'd go so far as to say he seems to offer less. I wouldn't write him off because he's had so many problems with illness, but you'd like to think he'd be showing a big improvement very soon if fitness was the issue. Otherwise it's getting increasingly hard to imagine him being at AG long term.

Haynes looks settled and impresses in an all action sort of way, Akinde seems to be on the verge of a spell in first team now, and Saborio is here til the end of the season.

That leaves the aforementioned Clarkson and Maynard and despite what you say about money there are a number of desperate Premier League clubs for whom even 5m. is not a fortune. It's far from impossible that one of them will panic buy.

Hopefully we'll stay with what we've got striker-wise for now - we've signed more than enough over the last couple of years - and concentrate on other far more pressing areas.

Hopefully we'll stay with what we've got striker-wise for now - we've signed more than enough over the last couple of years - and concentrate on other far more pressing areas.

Absolutley, with better service im confident we have more than enough fire power to compete. Id see 1.5m as a waste of money if spent on another striker. Maynard has scored some stunning goals from outside the box but id like to see him get more from around the 6 yard area but thats not going to happen without service, i cant see him fashioning to many chances like that on his own.

I'd like to think so, he's got something of the Tinman about him.

Maybe its woolford city have inquired about doesnt mean they bid for hooper as such..Could well be a swap deal between mccombe and woolford would be a great signing if city could get him..

City dont need more strikers they just need service...Saborio maynard akinde clarkson(will come gd) haynes

Hartley would be in his element with width....Thats all city need to be up there in this league more crosses more goals!!!

Archived