IGNORED

Tommy Doc

Pickle Rick

Doherty was fantastic for City as a young player and I think we all saw in him a future City captain leading us to promotion.

In the end he was with us for 9 seasons and only fulfilled his potential in 2/3 of them.

His appearance and disciplinary records were dreadful.

Such was his decline, I was very surprised he was even awarded his last contract with City.

Still, it seems his background and battling, aggressive style will ensure legend status with those fans who remember those qualities but choose to forget all the many frailties that made up the greater part of the package.

Hes definately not good enough for us anymore, how old is he know? must be knocking 32/33?

But what you've got to consider is how many games he made the difference in just by getting the croud going, he was entertaining to watch and all the city fans knew what to expect from him week in week out which was always a full blooded performance.

Worthy captain, worthy ledgend, Bristol boy through and through, When he retires give him an honourary direcors box in the new stadium and let him watch the progression of HIS boyhood club bristol city f.c.

I dont think i need to justify to be honest, i know a lot more than you do put it that way.

So chin up.

hmmmm - well that's the rudest reply I've ever seen. Did you read my earlier post where I said Tommy was a fantastic player, a player I loved watching and City through and through?

I think you do need to justify what you've put because stamping your feet and just saying "you don't know the facts" is just childish.

I'll tell you what I know shall I.... I know out of his own mouth came the words I don't like football but it's too good money not to do... now admittedly this was during what must have been a soul destroying injury ravaged period after he broken into the first team. Then I also know a few stories from a mutual friend.

So I ask you again if you disagree with anything I've written perhaps you'd like to reply like an adult rather than a child.

I was never a fan

One paced unfit waste of space

One minute was an up and coming youngster

gets injured and seemed to me the longer he was out

the bigger legend he became!!!

Nothing more than a lower league journeyman

Sounds like you shovel more than malt.He was a tremendous young player who was a superb tackler and passer .He also played with a rea.l passion for the club.The tragedy was injury and the want of a Manager who could keep him in check as he developed.

Robbo was spot on when he said Tom could only do 60 mins.

I dont know Tommy, however there were rumours of binge drinking smoking and carrying on that included many of our first team during the Wilson era.

If they are true or not I dont know, however the haste at which BT tried off loading some and the eagerness to follow this lead by GJ do leave some conclusions to be drawn as to their accuracy.

Tommy's career did not reach the heights of which the long haired kid of 17 promised and I suspect that early (two-year) injury had an effect, however I felt for quite sometime before he finally was let go that he was in our first team on reputation and supporter popularity,

Anyway god bless the boy and I hope/suspect he will find another club soon...ENTER BRISTOL ROVERS............

Sounds like you shovel more than malt.He was a tremendous young player who was a superb tackler and passer .He also played with a rea.l passion for the club.The tragedy was injury and the want of a Manager who could keep him in check as he developed.

and the want of a Manager who could keep him in check as he developed - so whilst he wasted his talent, it was someone elses fault! Earlier in this thread someone said that they believed TD's achievements were pretty good - thats the difference between being okay, which many people are, and great, which few are, pretty good is the equivelent of just floating in your job, cos you not bad at it, great is cos you strive to be the best in everything you do, and nobody can say TD did that. ( If you were okay at your job for just over half your days work, you'd be signing on the sausage role)

He's had his transfer cancelled at Wycombe after a long running feud with the boss.

Sign him on, put him deep with Hartley, play Maynard,Akinde,Clarkson & Saborio up top and shazam, no need for width. They can all link up at the top of the pitch!

Problem sorted city.gif

You aint got a clue have you. one of the reasons we never went up under Wondersons dismal regime

Guest clevedonred

Hes definately not good enough for us anymore, how old is he know? must be knocking 32/33?

Only 30, although he has always looked 45.

Must have been the beard and the booze

CliftonCliff said that he thinks Tom was probably asked to stop drinking and to turn up to training so, more or less, he did say what I said!

I'm not going to come on here and write about Tom as its not right. Do you not think Tom has been a good footballer? Playing Championship and League One for most of his career as well as international football isnt too bad I dont think. Infact I think its rather 'good' myself.

Not quite right. Doherty played a few games at Championship level and not "most of his career" which would have been far more representative of his abilities. I will not speculate what the lad has or hasn't done in the past off the pitch but what I do know is that due to an apparent lack of either discipline or desire the boy hasn't achieved anywhere near as much as he should have "on the pitch" which is where I am equally as qualified as yourself and Denilson to comment. To find himself getting released by Wycombe is a terrible thing for a footballer with Doherty's talent and at his age - you may know him as a great bloke but the fact that he has wasted his career somewhat cannot be argued in my view.

Tommy Doc was a great player when he had potential - in that it was great to see a lad City through and through who had so much ahead of him. But legend? - not really was he? The Wilson side had lots of potential but simply didn't deliver...which for most of its history is the story of our club...

I'd so like us to push on now and produce some legends who actually justify the tag...people who develop a reputation for excellence beyond south Bristol.

Great shame to see Tommy's talents unfulfilled. And best of luck to him.

But what you've got to consider is how many games he made the difference in just by getting the croud going, he was entertaining to watch and all the city fans knew what to expect from him week in week out which was always a full blooded performance.

closedeyes.gifWorthy captain, worthy ledgend, Bristol boy through and through, When he retires give him an honourary direcors box in the new stadium and let him watch the progression of HIS boyhood club bristol city f.c.

I think this might be a step to far. Potentially a very good player, but let himself down.

If Gary Johnson were signing any other ageing defensive midfielder who'd never achieved anything from a side like Wycombe there'd be uproar. Whatever he was like in the past he is nowhere near the standard required now.

Why would anyone want Tommy when we have Cole Skuse?

We have a player in the tommy doc mould.

Someone who fulfilled their potential being a top proffesional and played champions league.... and he has tommy's beard...

Paul Hartley......

Oh tommy tommy! tommy tommy tommy hartley!

It's a shame that Tommy Doherty has wasted his immense talent. One of a very select band of midfield players that liked a tackle AND could pass the ball to a decent standard. Doherty could and should have done a lot more with his career.

Spot on.

Nice guy, genuine fan of BCFC, bit of a rebel and certainly could have played at the top level had he been prepared to fit his lifestyle around football rather than fit football around his lifestyle.

His choice but disappointing IMO given the gifts he has.

Tommy is a nice bloke but will never play for BCFC again. He had some damning things to say about the way he was treated when I last seen him so doubt he would come even if asked. May just be him saying that, but he wasn't a fan of the board etc...

MM

Fact is though that there's a recurring theme amongst players with genuine individual brilliance. Maradonna, Best, Gascoigne, Bowles etc. All misbehaved, all totally unreliable and there's loads more out there in many different sports.

Sometimes the ability to express the talent goes hand in hand with an obviously unstable mind. Not really comparing Tom talent wise with those examples but the principle remains the same. Can't control them and they eventually self destruct, but the worlds a better place for having had them around.

In any walk of life you get out what you put in, and nobody should judge anyones lifestyles.

Doherty could have been a good championship player but he was lacking in a few areas to be a regular premier leage starter.

As for the drinking i remember seeing him in the tobacco factory with two bottles of lager and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth on a friday night, also saw him on an all dayer on cup final day last year, 30 years ago this would have been acceptable but unfortunately for Tommy he played in an era when the game moved on and players getting paid a lot more, with more money comes increased expectation and requirements to stay fit, which is why he spent the majority of his career in the lower leagues.

As for City ledgend.....please!!!! for those who have a longer memory than the last 15 years there are much better players who have played in central midfield for city. Do not get local boy pride and commitment confused with genuine ability.

Anyway good luck on finding a new club

Was i incorrect to say he was slow and that he played most

of his football in the lower leagues?

As an ADULT its HIS responsibility to look after himself

and keep in check Nobody else's

Archived