IGNORED

Tommy Doc

Pickle Rick

He's had his transfer cancelled at Wycombe after a long running feud with the boss.

Sign him on, put him deep with Hartley, play Maynard,Akinde,Clarkson & Saborio up top and shazam, no need for width. They can all link up at the top of the pitch!

Problem sorted city.gif

Isn't Waddock the Wycombe manager now? Only been there a month or so, they must have fallen out big time!

Isn't Waddock the Wycombe manager now? Only been there a month or so, they must have fallen out big time!

I would think it wouldn't be difficult to fall out with Tommy. Whoever said of Denis Wise that he could start an argument in an empty room could have been talking about Tom. Waddock probably asked him to do something totally unreasonable, like stop drinking or turn up for training.

I would think it wouldn't be difficult to fall out with Tommy. Whoever said of Denis Wise that he could start an argument in an empty room could have been talking about Tom. Waddock probably asked him to do something totally unreasonable, like stop drinking or turn up for training.

Or for people like you to get a clue. When you clearly dont have a clue what your talking about?

Idiot.

He's certainly a one off, our Tom, isn't he?

Apparently he was the best player on the pitch at Elland Rd last week but if he doesn't like you, he won't play for you, will he?

I expect he'll be at Exeter or Swindon by the end of the month.

Good lad always gives 100% imo if he had abit more pace or maybe not so many injuries he would have played Prem football. He's also been in the division team of the year for the last two years so Wycombe loss is going to be someones gain. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

He always gave 100% for sure but he'd run out of stamina after 60mins. Very good player and capable of playing at a higher standard but simply not fit enough.

Can't believe he managed to play international football, even marked Steven Gerrard in the N Ireland v England Game.

He could do no wrong in the majority of City fan's eye's - yet any other player got absolutely slated for any slight misplaced pass!

Had the worst livestyle of any footballer I have heard of, still, you've got to love the fella though.

the man didnt get on with tinnion and left city to sign for hollowhead which is not good. he had some endearing qualities but let himself and us down by his lack of fitnes and dedication to the game.

The bloke is a waste of space - nobody becomes a legend wasting thier career like this guy - a big name in a small cul de sac, a total waste of talent, when he's an old boy he might look back and ask where did I go wrong.

Never forgave TD for gettin sent off at Wycombe when A. he was captain B. we were already one-nil down at the time C. it was a stupid butt D. we ended up getting smattered (might even have been by 4). One of the most miserable midweek away nights of my city supporting history.

Broooooooooomhead

What are you talking about? Do you think Tom is an alcholic who doesnt turn up for training?

Why dont you learn the facts before making such stupid comments.

Funny I actually agree with everyone!

He was fantastic to watch, outstanding in the Wilson team and in Ward's promotion side. City through and through. Only really wanted to play for us.

Good enough to play international football - was fantastic in N Ireland's goalless draw with Spain.

BUT lifestyle which meant he would never play above League One on a regular basis, from his own mouth doesn't actually like football that much, ridiculous amount of bookings every season..... and perhaps will look back at a career which could've given him so much more.

What are you talking about? Do you think Tom is an alcholic who doesnt turn up for training?

Why dont you learn the facts before making such stupid comments.

the forum is yours. nobody said what you said, but if you want to clear the air about the chap, who once could have been a good footballer. then great.....

the forum is yours. nobody said what you said, but if you want to clear the air about the chap, who once could have been a good footballer. then great.....

CliftonCliff said that he thinks Tom was probably asked to stop drinking and to turn up to training so, more or less, he did say what I said!

I'm not going to come on here and write about Tom as its not right. Do you not think Tom has been a good footballer? Playing Championship and League One for most of his career as well as international football isnt too bad I dont think. Infact I think its rather 'good' myself.

CliftonCliff said that he thinks Tom was probably asked to stop drinking and to turn up to training so, more or less, he did say what I said!

I'm not going to come on here and write about Tom as its not right. Do you not think Tom has been a good footballer? Playing Championship and League One for most of his career as well as international football isnt too bad I dont think. Infact I think its rather 'good' myself.

Did he reach his full potential?

If not, why not?

I dont think i need to justify to be honest, i know a lot more than you do put it that way.

So chin up.

Well actually, if you know 'the truth', how about putting your toys back in the pram, stop labelling people 'idiot' (regardless of whether they are) and doing the decent thing and educating them?

I mean that in the nicest possible way obviously.

I seem to be indirectly responsible for generating exactly the sort of online squabble that I have despaired of in another recent thread, so allow me to try to set matters right if I can.

My comments were intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but nevertheless I can see why somebody might take exception. I try to set high standards for myself when I post here and maybe on reflection I have let myself down with what was a spontaneous but perhaps ill-judged attempt at humour. I therefore apologise to Tommy himself and anyone else I may have offended, and I will withdraw my remarks, with the the followig qualifications:

First of all, although I wrote partly in jest, it was not purely on the basis of what we'd all seen on the field of play. I will not name names, but I had at least two conversations with sources close to the club during Tommy's time at Ashton Gate. The first was a discussion lasting over an hour with a member of the Academy staff who had worked with him as a youngster and was still close enough to know quite a lot about his progress as a first team player. The second took place at a social gathering at the home of a good friend of mine, which was attended by, among others, the chairman and his wife. Someone very well placed to know told me how many times in the preceding season Tommy had missed training, for one reason or another. Considering that he hadn't had, as far as I can remember, a sigificant injury that year, the number would have raised your eyebrows, to put it mildly. (One ex-manager was, incidentally, reported to have described Tommy as the most unfit professional footballer he'd ever seen).

Not long after that, Tinnion showed him the door, a decision that saddened me, but which I thought was right and in the best interests of all parties.

For the record, I loved Tommy as a player and unlike some people here I thought he was very talented. He was also, I believe, a south Bristol boy like myself and this was reflected in his passionate attitude on the pitch, which I'm afraid sometimes spilled over into indiscipline and was not matched by dedication and professionalism off it. He was also very unlucky with serious injury early in his development, which proved costly on many levels.

Finally, as I hope I have demonstrated, I am not unwilling to accept criticism and will apologise publicly if I have made an error of judgement. I will admit to many failings, but if there is one thing I am not, it is an "idiot". Disagree with me buy all means, but keep your insults to yourself, please.

I dont think i need to justify to be honest, i know a lot more than you do put it that way.

So chin up.

Actually, with respect, I think you DO need to justify yourself if you think you have grounds to dismiss another poster with such contempt. I have just provided an explanation of my original post, to which you objected so strongly. So the basis for your reaction is...?

Actually, with respect, I think you DO need to justify yourself if you think you have grounds to dismiss another poster with such contempt. I have just provided an explanation of my original post, to which you objected so strongly. So the basis for your reaction is...?

I have to agree with this, the RUMOURS that I've heard paint a pretty poor picture of Tommy's proffessionalism, why not set the record straight with the truth?

Archived