IGNORED

Todays Game Was Too Open!

Tinmansleftboot

We scored far too many goals today for my liking. We also created way too many chances for my liking! This isn't good enough Gary!! Sort it out man!!

Yet another 90th minute goal against us!! :whistle2:

yes - i agree..... you wouldn't find Russell Osman producing matches like that........

yes - i agree..... you wouldn't find Russell Osman producing matches like that........

We haven't seen Gary Johnson produce too many like that either - not in the last eighteen months anyway. But you have to give credit where it is due and I, for one, would rather we played a more open "win or bust" game against most teams at the Gate. Wins push you up the league quickly, even with a few losses sprinkled in. If GJ wants to be more "solid and compact" when we play the likes of Newcastle, Forest or West Brom, given they all have the ability to destroy sides on the break who commit too many bodies forward, I think most supporters would appreciate that. But we have "wasted" numerous chances to gain three comfortable points this season by being far too cautious against poorer sides like Wednesday, Scunny, Peterbrough, Reading and Watford (perhaps we weren't so cautious against them) - all sides who were there for the taking and who we should be turning over at the Gate if we want to go anywhere this season.

But according to many on here you will get relegated, LOSING 4-3 EVERY WEEK, if you try and open the game up, a view which I believe is unfounded nonsense. I think yesterday proved that we can win games playing attractive football and that even if we do adopt that policy going forward there is plenty of scope to tighten up a bit at the back and still look reasonably solid as GJ likes so much.

Or does it just prove that a lot of fans have been correct with their 'fair' criticism over recent weeks?

GJ played 442, played a less defensive option and therefore wider attacking game at home, used two wide men which improved the supply to the front two, had a much better balance to the team, played left footers on the left and played Haynes, Skuse, Clarkson and Sno in their correct positions - And we won as a result??

To see Sproule attacking down the wing and going past his opponent brought back happy memories from many years ago! And we left the gate actually feeling entertained!?

I'll probably get plenty of abuse for this but is this fair?

Or does it just prove that a lot of fans have been correct with their 'fair' criticism over recent weeks?

GJ played 442, played a less defensive option and therefore wider attacking game at home, used two wide men which improved the supply to the front two, had a much better balance to the team, played left footers on the left and played Haynes, Skuse, Clarkson and Sno in their correct positions - And we won as a result??

To see Sproule attacking down the wing and going past his opponent brought back happy memories from many years ago! And we left the gate actually feeling entertained!?

Spot on, my mate who watched the game yesterday thinks sproule is complete rubbish on the ball, i struggle to see where he got that idea from as i thought he was one of our best yesterday !

I think that's fair - but I'm never sure about the definition of formations. At times yesterday when they were in possession we had McAllister tucked bak in the left back position and three in the middle of defence. A goal inside two minutes had a huge influence on the shape of the game...and on our confidence to give the ball to Sproule on the wing.

He's a cracking bloke - but on a bad day Ivan has none of the finesse that their guy Sedgewick displayed with his cross for their first goal...and even yesterday he drifted hopelessly out of position at times...but good luck to him. A flying winger is what we all want to see at the Gate.

A much better performance and entertaining. It shows we have good players when they are played in their best positions.

The manager must keep to 4-4-2 with players in their best position and not go back to picking 11 players then trying to fit a formation.

To strengthen the side we do need a quality left sided player and a quality centre half who wins the ball in the air regularly.

We do have plenty of players who can operate alongside a centre half such as Carey, Fontaine and Nayatanga but McCombe is the only tradional centre half and he is not of Championship standard.

Naturally we have to pay decent sums of money for good forwards etc yet we always get a centre half on a cheapy or free.

If you look at the clubs above us in the Championship they all have a tall strong centre half and if they moved onto another club there would be a decent transfer fee which I can't say we would get with McCombe.

Maybe a decent centre half would have helped to prevent some of the late goals we have conceded plus goals like Prestons first where their player had free un-challenged header.

Fingers crossed

Redthru

We haven't seen Gary Johnson produce too many like that either - not in the last eighteen months anyway. But you have to give credit where it is due and I, for one, would rather we played a more open "win or bust" game against most teams at the Gate. Wins push you up the league quickly, even with a few losses sprinkled in. If GJ wants to be more "solid and compact" when we play the likes of Newcastle, Forest or West Brom, given they all have the ability to destroy sides on the break who commit too many bodies forward, I think most supporters would appreciate that. But we have "wasted" numerous chances to gain three comfortable points this season by being far too cautious against poorer sides like Wednesday, Scunny, Peterbrough, Reading and Watford (perhaps we weren't so cautious against them) - all sides who were there for the taking and who we should be turning over at the Gate if we want to go anywhere this season.

But according to many on here you will get relegated, LOSING 4-3 EVERY WEEK, if you try and open the game up, a view which I believe is unfounded nonsense. I think yesterday proved that we can win games playing attractive football and that even if we do adopt that policy going forward there is plenty of scope to tighten up a bit at the back and still look reasonably solid as GJ likes so much.

Totally agree when you play teams like Newcastle, ETC you can't hell for leather as you will get destroyed but as you say against the so called poorer teams in the division i feel we have been far to negative.

I, for one, would rather we played a more open "win or bust" game against most teams at the Gate. Wins push you up the league quickly, even with a few losses sprinkled in..

Too true; 46 draws = 46 points & relegation, 23 wins & 23 defeats = 69 points, not enough for the play offs, but definitely in the top half at least of the table.

Nothing to do with having width, remember keith?

Spot on, he really didn't do himself any favours with those comments, apart from what City did Preston especialy in the secound part of the first half put a fair few quality balls in the box, scoring one and coming close on a t least one further occasion.

You can say was you like about Sproule but he gave us the natural width and with McAlister on the left the 4-4-2 gave us balance and far more options. Couple that with a genuine desire to pass the ball to feet and try and retain possesion (which is much easier with the added options this formation provided) we saw a much improved and entertianing performance.

Another highlight for me was Hartley late in the game telling Sproule to bomb on pass the fall back so he could thread the ball through. Sproule by his body launguage at times appears as though he is being told to hold back by the coaches but by mixing it up like this, in my view he would be far more effective. I hope he stays fit and gets a much needed run in the side.

Really enjoyed yesterdays game, more of the same style of play please Gary and co.

PS Good to hear the hear the old Ashon gate roar back, when a winger bursts forward

Archived