IGNORED

**** It... Robbo Was Right

Jordan Tansley

well, we were over-run in the middle and had no protection for the poor centre bqack which we have had most of the season.

the concession of playing wingers and attacking led to us having a lot of gaps.

the problem with attacking formations is you leave yourself exposed when things go wrong. today they went wrong, so technically it's teh fault of the formation.

of course the fact we have a manager who is losing faith in himself and a squad who dont seem confident enough anymore didn't help!!!

We weren't though, until we imploded after the first goal, we were all over them like a rash, and how is a 4-4-2 an attacking formation ? 4-3-3 is an attacking formation, 4-2-1-2 is an attacking formation, 4-4-2 is about the most solid formation you can get, if you play with 2 banks of 4 across the pitch you can defend until the cows come home it's the best formation there is in football, which is why most teams play it, because it's so versatile if you are under the cosh, you use your two banks of 4 to compress the game and make it difficult for the opposition to find space, if you are on top you play more expansively and stretch the game creating space for your players to play in.

It was not the formations fault that our defence was a shambles, it's been a shambles all season and we've played 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 5-3-2, 3-5-2 and 4-5-1, the defence is a shambles because of johnsons innept tactics, poor team selection, and johnsons poor player selection.

Our defence is piss poor and johnson brings in another mediocre striker who couldn't score goals at teams that actually make chances so what chance has he got here ? The stikers we already had are not crap, 90% of the strikers we have had at this level have all been more than capable of getting 10-15 goals a season, yet only Adebola and Maynard have managed that, there is a reason that Stern John suddenly turned into a bag of crap here, there is a reason despite obviously having the ability Saborio looks awful mostly, etc etc. We have spent a stupid amount of money replacing players we already had, how much have Saborio, Clarkson, Velicka and Agyemang cost us ? All to replace Adebola who wanted 2 years at 10-15k a week it's just stupid. We have played half the season with no left winger and just got a new one in to replace the perfectly adequate and productive one we already had just because he disagreed with Johnson.

The man is pissing vast amounts of Sl's money up the wall on things we don't need or already had but decided to get rid for reasons unknown, our defence has been a worry for a long while now, you don't get a reputation for conceding late goals if your defence is up to scratch, and we have been conceding late goals for well over a year now, so we go out and sign a bloody striker when we are crying out for a commanding centre half, you don't farm out Ribs when your first choice right back is playing completely shit, you don't ignore the fact that we only have a barely capable left back and loan a striker. You don't bring in a 3rd choice league 1 keeper so you can send your number 2 out on loan when your number 1 is costing us goals all over the place.

It's just insanity and i can't be dealing with it anymore.

Look, I would be happy if o'driscoll was made manager, but my opinion is GJ's a better manager and so is tisdale...

Tisdale is "not good enough at the moment" what does that mean?

he's shown lots of promise and it wont be long until a big club takes a chance. I think we should get in there before that happens....

either way o'driscoll or tisdale - i would be happy with either

Ill be honest, although I agree with tisdale being an excellent young manager, IF Gary departs now, we need someone with a bit of knowledge of this division. We only have 35 points, were still a good 17/18 points away from safety, and cannot afford a manager to come in and need time to find his feet at this level.

O'Driscoll would be great, but City wont be able to afford to pay up GJ's contract AND then compensation for him. I want some one who has had a bit more time at this level, Curbishley, Coppell or....god forbid, should I say his name.....Ne....N....N...Nei.....Neil....War...Warn.....sorry cant say it, but still an excellent manager at this level

I don`t post very often but regularly read postings and particularly RRs postings which I have quietly agreed with for some time

A change of manager? It ain`t going to happen guys. GJ will be staying.

Nice to talk about possible changes and whilst I wasn`t at the debacle last night, I can understand and agree with everyones frustrations. ( Must have been bad for Riaz to react as he has)

However, whether it be O`Driscoll, Tisadle, or Uncle Tom Cobley fans want, GJ will be here at the end of the season IMO. Not saying I agree with that as the best option, but I just can`t see him going for all sorts of reasons. The only way is him resigning, which he won`t do.

I have been a Johnson fan since he joined us, but having seen the team over the last 18 months I don`t think anyone can say they haven`t seen a total change in attitude, approach to games and team spirit.

Hard times and SL hasn`t got bottomless pockets.

We`re in for a very long dismal end of season run in and beyond that, I daren`t contemplate!!

ha ha, why do you want the manager out then?

We have just lost SIX- NIL at HOME, if you dont think that is a mess .....

Inbalenced average squad, end of.

I think he should go because it looks like he's lost the players and now the fans probabaly........

But overall, the club is not a mess - top half of the championship, with some very good players...

I think he should go because it looks like he's lost the players and now the fans probabaly........

But overall, the club is not a mess - top half of the championship, with some very good players...

I agree with you here, I wouldnt say were a club in a mess! but were a club who has remained static for to long and have now started sliding backwards.

Time for a change. Were 6 wins of safety which SHOULD be achievable.....time to bring in someone new so they can build for next season

I don't do this very often but having watched tonight's game I thought I'd reinstate my account and offer a view too. What I found interesting was the reaction of Fontaine after the first goal went in, and how he looked long and hard at Millen and the bench for support and guidance. He seemed to blame Gerken - rightly or wrongly - and from that moment on he seemed lost. McCallister too seemed to be woefully out of his depth, and I thought that became quickly apparent.

All Fonts got from Millen was to be shouted at. He blamed Fontaine for the first goal - in my view it was Gerken's hesitation that was the bigger factor.

Johnson just gave up in the second half. No encouragement given to the players just an air of resignation slumped against the dugout.

No he wasn't. He and those of like mind claimed 4-4-2 was the cure for all our alleged ills and crowed how thay had forced the Manager to change his ways. Worked a treat didn't it? I confidently expect a mea culpa. Or possibly not.

Didn't look like 4-4-2 to me, more of a 4-2-4, why the big change after our last home league performance is just baffling.

No he wasn't. He and those of like mind claimed 4-4-2 was the cure for all our alleged ills and crowed how thay had forced the Manager to change his ways. Worked a treat didn't it? I confidently expect a mea culpa. Or possibly not.

You can't blame the formation for last night. In fact the football we played for the first ten minutes was alright to be fair. Anyone who has played football to any level will tell you that we defended too high up the pitch given that the two Cardiff centre forwards were both quicker than our entire back four. We didn't counter this obvious flaw and, allied to the lack of confidence throughout the back four and keeper once the first goals went in, six goals later we have paid a massive price.

There is no way that you can sugar coat a 6-0 home defeat to our biggest league rivals. It cannot be done.

I agree with Riaz on this - a measured and fair assessment.

I don't think its about giving GJ a(nother) chance to turn things round. I'm not convinced that he has the ability, or budget, to make a difference now.

Surely if he did have, it would have happened at some point already.

I can't think of many managers who have so long to prove that they can make a change for the better.

Go on GJ , prove me wrong.

We weren't though, until we imploded after the first goal, we were all over them like a rash, and how is a 4-4-2 an attacking formation ?

I think it's the fact that two of the four were hugging the touchline that makes this a formation which is very positive when going forward, but leaves us vulnerable to teams that can pass the ball quickly when we don't have the ball. 4-4-2 with no-one out wide is certainly a solid formation; 4-4-2 with two very wide players often isn't.

There were certainly times last night when Skuse and Hartley were outnumbered in the centre, and Cardiff exploited the gaps on a number of occasions.

That certainly wasn't our only shortcoming last night, but I've always been sceptical about the idea that you can play with two out and out wingers at this level. I think good teams will exploit the space you leave in the middle.

Because unfortunately, you only have to read his posts, he's loving this. He attacks GJ, I attack him. of course it means a lot to people, it means a lot to me, but to be honest I got more important things to actually worry about than 11 + over paid pussies, most of whom could'nt give a toss about you, me, BCFC, only about their the size of their wage packets and their next car.

it's a game nothing more nothing less and the players will always be the winners even when they lose 6-0, oh yes we'll here the 'they're really hurting' speech they are footballers and the truth is they could'nt give a ****.

Just because he attacks GJ it doesn't mean you have to attack him, so on that logic you'll defend GJ if anyone criticises him will you? And I don't care about the 11' pussies' as you've described them, I care about BCFC. The management and players have and will continue to chop and change throughout my lifetime but I will remain commited to this club. I don't support GJ, I support Bristol City. He has never and will never care about this club as us proper fans do, he will care about his professional career and job. So I don't know why you're acting as if I am sticking up for the players, when in fact I encouraged you to criticise their performace, rather than take another mindless swipe at RR.

But the last post of yours was bemoaning poor football.

Curbishley bored the charlton fans into hating him.

Coppell I can get my head around because he did do it( well, he picked up Pardews good work and took it on one more level) But Curbishley is not what we need.

at all.

ever.

Hmmm, how boring to take a club of that size to the prem and have them compete in the prem...how boring. I bet Charlton fans are chuffed he took his boring football elsewhere and let them drop two divisions.

Curbishley is quality and just what this club needs...he has a proven record of managing clubs of this size and promoting them into the prem and improving them...and he is loyal

Hmmm, how boring to take a club of that size to the prem and have them compete in the prem...how boring. I bet Charlton fans are chuffed he took his boring football elsewhere and let them drop two divisions.

Curbishley is quality and just what this club needs...he has a proven record of managing clubs of this size and promoting them into the prem and improving them...and he is loyal

by that logic then we should keep GJ.

Charlton fans stopped supporting a guy who did what GJ has done for us because of the poor football.

If we're gonna play that crap then i'd just keep GJ and save a few million on compensation!

by that logic then we should keep GJ.

Charlton fans stopped supporting a guy who did what GJ has done for us because of the poor football.

If we're gonna play that crap then i'd just keep GJ and save a few million on compensation!

Were talking about progressng the club, not delivering sexy football...I only care about results.

Johnsons 'poor football' isnt producing results.

Curbishley's record of promoting clubs into the prem is something Johnson has never done.

I go to football for the results. If city ever reach the prem, dont ever expect sexy flowing football.

Alex Ferguson, Man U, 1986-92? Good thing they stuck with him.

...and a good job that Liverpool FC appointed Bill Shankley after suffering a 2-1 FA Cup humiliation against non-league Worcester City in the 1958-59 season. As soon as Shankley was appointed manager to Div 2 Liverpool he released 24 mediocre players. We need a manager like Bill Shankley who can hit the ground running and sort out and weed out our now massive playing squad.

Archived