IGNORED

What Do We Want?

SecretSam

It was an interesting point raised by one of the Gaseous few in another thread - what are our expectations of Gary, Steve and all at City?

Personally, a few seasons of stability in the CCC is fine by me. I feel we massively over-achieved in reaching the play-off final in year 1 after promotion, and now this has unrealitically raised expectations among many fans.

Now this isn't an excuse for the Cardiff debacle, but if it's a one-off then so be it. However, I think we need as a club to re-assess our potential and our aspirations, and how we move on from here.

My thoughts are:

- CCC will do for now, play-offs are an ambition but not an objective;

- If we've got an academy, we might as well use it - give the kids a chance, either on the bench, in the cups or in the first team;

- Be honest with the fans about what we are trying to achieve and by when;

- Keep the financial side of things nice and straight, this is the way to go (witness the horrors at Palace, Pompey, etc.);

- And we should start playing more attractive football, the fans are used to it and frankly it is easier to bear defeat if we've at least tried to entertain.

Oh, and when you **** up - admit it, say you're sorry and tell everyone what you plan to do about it. Don't run away and hide.

I would like decent, attacking football particularly at AG. Football where even if City are 2-0 down you feel theres a good chance that they'll come back.

If said attacking football took us into play-off contention then all well and good, if not it would at least be down to the away form.

Not too much to ask, I reckon.

I would like decent, attacking football particularly at AG. Football where even if City are 2-0 down you feel theres a good chance that they'll come back.

If said attacking football took us into play-off contention then all well and good, if not it would at least be down to the away form.

Not too much to ask, I reckon.

Well it is a little too much to ask, especially for a quick turnaround. The way I see it, is that yes we've been a little too cautious in our time in the championship but I feel that's mainly down to it being successful in our first season. It takes a while to change a mentality like this.

Against Cardiff, we played 4-4-2 like we all asked, with 2 attacking wingers on each side so that we could play with width, flair and a little bit of creation. For the first 20 minutes we outplayed Cardiff with positive football. We let a goal in on the break with some poor defending and fell apart from there.

We are trying to improve in terms of entertaining at home, like I said this can take time and it clearly is. Despite it being our 3rd year in the championship, we are still finding our feet both as a club, with our manager and with the majority of our players.

What do I want? I want the same as everyone else. I want us to play attacking football and I'd ideally like us to be successful in doing that. We need to improve our performances from the past 18 months or so but I have every faith that we can do that. As long as the manager and team are given the deserved patience to do that.

What I don't want is us to completely destroy a team that has given us the most success we've had in years by raising expectations too high. However, I fear that this is far more likely than the gradual improvement that I'd much prefer.

It was an interesting point raised by one of the Gaseous few in another thread - what are our expectations of Gary, Steve and all at City?

Personally, a few seasons of stability in the CCC is fine by me. I feel we massively over-achieved in reaching the play-off final in year 1 after promotion, and now this has unrealitically raised expectations among many fans.

Now this isn't an excuse for the Cardiff debacle, but if it's a one-off then so be it. However, I think we need as a club to re-assess our potential and our aspirations, and how we move on from here.

My thoughts are:

- CCC will do for now, play-offs are an ambition but not an objective;

- If we've got an academy, we might as well use it - give the kids a chance, either on the bench, in the cups or in the first team;

- Be honest with the fans about what we are trying to achieve and by when;

- Keep the financial side of things nice and straight, this is the way to go (witness the horrors at Palace, Pompey, etc.);

- And we should start playing more attractive football, the fans are used to it and frankly it is easier to bear defeat if we've at least tried to entertain.

Oh, and when you **** up - admit it, say you're sorry and tell everyone what you plan to do about it. Don't run away and hide.

Top Post imoenglandsmile4wf.gif

What's all this b*****ks about entertainment!

I would be very happy winning every game 1 - 0 if we were in auto promotion place.

The stakes are too high to play open expansive football wih two wingers.

Keep it tight with defense and midfield controlling the game, providing everybody does their job without cock-ups.

The teams with the best defenses win most games.

Archived