IGNORED

The Defence Or Lack Of

redrebel

In amongst the carnage that is Johnson's managership at present it seemed almost criminal to me that no defenders were brought in to organise and revitalise the defence.It would seem by now that clearly Keith Millen in spite of bring an ex centre half is not able to influence the performance or organisation of our defenders.We were crying out for the Shaun Taylor like signing that could get hold of the back four and instill some organisation and discipline.Clearly not on Johnson's agenda.This will cost him and Millen dear as well as our football club whilst these two remain.

In amongst the carnage that is Johnson's managership at present it seemed almost criminal to me that no defenders were brought in to organise and revitalise the defence.It would seem by now that clearly Keith Millen in spite of bring an ex centre half is not able to influence the performance or organisation of our defenders.We were crying out for the Shaun Taylor like signing that could get hold of the back four and instill some organisation and discipline.Clearly not on Johnson's agenda.This will cost him and Millen dear as well as our football club whilst these two remain.

Defence hasn't performed too badly with the obvious exceptions of Baadiff, last minute goals and bad passing. We're missing Basso (I believe) and hopefully Millen will sort it out.

Was interested to see Nyatanga playing LB 2 games ago - I was concerned about lack of coverage if McA got injured.

SL isn't a bottomless pit of money and clearly an attacking left winger was the priority.

Defence hasn't performed too badly with the obvious exceptions of Baadiff, last minute goals and bad passing. We're missing Basso (I believe) and hopefully Millen will sort it out.

Was interested to see Nyatanga playing LB 2 games ago - I was concerned about lack of coverage if McA got injured.

SL isn't a bottomless pit of money and clearly an attacking left winger was the priority.

but a lump of a centre forward on loan wasn't a priority, (to me at least) so why not use that wage resource to bolster defence?

Interesting to note that the defence that started against Cardiff was the same back four that were at City in our Div 1 days. Apart from Nyatanga Johnson has not signed a perminent defender in over 2.5 seasons.

However he signed lots of strikers on loan, both long and short term and signed Trundle, Maynard, Clarkson, Haynes, Byfield, Jevons on contracts.There might be more that I can't remember.

Interesting to see the difference between attack and defence.

Its the same defence that performed pretty well in our first season up, we were pretty tought to beat back then without being prolific up front. Not exactly sure whats gone wrong, maybe they're all out of form at the same time or just lacking in confidence, either way any kind of improvement in results will start from the back, turning goaless draws into wins.

The formation that GJ has played for most of the season protects our defence, however when we do revert to a 4-4-2 our defence quite clearly is not strong enough.

When we were in Div one McCombe was fine however in the Championship he has struggled and I can't understand why haven't we replaced him with a better version?

When you loook at the teams above us in the league they all have a tall, strong, first ball attacking centre half who I would rate better than ours. So isn't it about time we addressed the problem as we spend reasonable amounts of money on forwards and ignore the key position of a decent centre half.

As for team the home game against Coventry will be crucial as a win can push us towards the play-offs but a defeat could theoretically have us just seven points above the relegation zone!

Hopefully, we get the 3 points and ease some of the unrest with the fans. If we don't I can see the rumblings growing.

Redthru

Archived