IGNORED

Sno

Portland Bill

Look if he is ponderous, slow, takes too many touches etc... then what does that tell you about the coaching he is receiving?

I heard Wenger plays some practice matches in his coaching sessions where the player has two options either one touch pass or if he takes one touch then the 2nd touch must be a forward pass.

It does appear that the midfield is like the strikers, Johnson is waiting for a partnership in central positions to happen and will continue trying new combinations until two players click in central midfield - his statement on friday was quite a revelation and I would hope that the players would reflect the coaching they were receiving in training on the pitch rather than the "I dont deliberately ask players to do (name a mistake)" (in this case, I dont deliberately ask my players to take 4 passes adn then pass sideways or back) - it does open up the question to exactly what the training and coaching involves.

Do performances reflect coaching and training sessions?

It seems to me that Sno is one of those players that pleases some and frustrates others. Anyone sitting in the Williams would know that the decision to sub Sno was booed in some quarters.

Personally, I though he had a great game today and was gobsmacked when Johnson subbed him for Sproule. I thought he and Hartley linked up well and some of his short passing was sublime.

He's a big, strong player on the ball and when coming out of defence, gives the rest of the team a chance to catch up and launch an attack by holding up the ball and linking play. If he had a modicum of pace, he wouldn't be lowering himself playing for us.

People say he needs too many touches, but that is part of his game - he tries to hold out for the best available pass. Our problem is that the front players don't show quickly enough.

There was a typical incident just before he was subbed - picked up the ball, left-central just inside their half, looking for someone in front of him to come off their marker and nobody moved. After hanging on to it for a few seconds, he gave up and passed it back to McAllister (I think!). There was the typical groan from the crowd, yet it was all he could do.

I'd like to see him grow his partnership with Hartley in the middle, and considering Maynard is a little off-form right now, I'd also like to see Haynes and Clarkson have a go up front.

Can I ask - what's the point in passing the ball quickly when there's nobody in a better position to pass to?

When we do that don't we just end up passing it back to a full back to hoof?

Those accusing Sno of slowing the game - what outlets were there?

From what I saw he only slowed the game down when there was nothing on to keep possession whilst other caught up - that's pretty much the definition of holding the ball up and it's needed sometimes. His control is exceptional, the idea he needs lots of touches just isn't right IMO.

I imagine if we had a winger on the pitch he would have passed quite a bit faster.

Guest bigcheese

I'd like to see him grow his partnership with Hartley in the middle, and considering Maynard is a little off-form right now, I'd also like to see Haynes and Clarkson have a go up front.

If he was to stay here it would be the preferable position. I tend to agree with the OP in that he is almost not suited to this league.

How you can say Maynard is off form I don't know. The guy got 1 and a half chances today. I think the people who are meant to give him service are too slow/weak/can't see his runs.

I think he would do well in the right team.

If he was to stay here it would be the preferable position. I tend to agree with the OP in that he is almost not suited to this league.

How you can say Maynard is off form I don't know. The guy got 1 and a half chances today. I think the people who are meant to give him service are too slow/weak/can't see his runs.

I think he would do well in the right team.

Football's a funny ol' game! :)

Now I think Maynard is suffering from the "too many touches" syndrome that some were accusing Sno of. When he's on song, he controls the ball with one touch and usually gets off a sharp shot, but lately he's been fumbling around with it a lot. whether that's the quality of the pass or his control being a bit out, I don't know, but I think he could do with a rest.

He came off the field with what looked like a dead leg today, so maybe he will get his rest on Tuesday, and Haynes and Clarkson will have a chance to shine. It's gotta be worth a shout, hasn't it? :)

I admit that I have been moaning about Sno for many a game now. He showed promise early doors but he has faded away. I know he's being played out of position etc etc, but quality should shine through. He also seems to have put on a few pounds since his grandmother's death, which in my opinion has slowed him down somewhat (not that he was lightning anyway). Rumour has it he's receiving a wapping pay packet each week. Oh what to do GJ. What to do.

People say he needs too many touches, but that is part of his game - he tries to hold out for the best available pass. Our problem is that the front players don't show quickly enough.

Spot on! Plenty of other threads/posts at the moment about our lack of movement, players not making themselves available etc. The one thing Sno won't do is hoof a hopeful ball anywhere.

Dont want to be disrespectful to the Sno lovers but how come we was more of a threat in the last 30 minutes than the first hour?

We changed the formation, had proper wide players but mainly because we swapped our out of form striker for one who is hungry to prove himself.

Could have taken any of the 3 central midfield players.

Dont want to be disrespectful to the Sno lovers but how come we was more of a threat in the last 30 minutes than the first hour?

No disrespect to you either, but could that also be something to do with taking off one of our five defenders (Nyatanga) and bringing on a striker (clarkson) who scored?

Today showed what some of us have said all season, Sno is not a Championship player.

The British style of football doesnt allow 8 touches of the ball everytime you get it.

Even the people on here who believed the hype, must now concede that was all it was yes.gif

Here, Here......... Totally agree! I bascially said the same thing on here on Saturday after the game, and got shot down for it!

Sno takes too long to pass the ball, if you are looking for a quick attack that will surprise defenders then dont pass it to Sno.

I will admit he is good at holding the ball up, but thats about all he is good for.

Our supporters are a strange bunch. Some people moan that we lack quality. Then others slate our most technically gifted player. Sno is far to good for our team its a pity more of our players arnt up to his standerd. I was genuinly shocked he came off yestaday him and Hartley were bossing the game and dictating the play. Some of you bashers need to watch the game. Every player in our team looks to give the ball to him as soon as they can so i'd assume he is very highly rated by our squad. The myth that he holds up play is a funny one aswell. When he is passed the ball marked by 3 players (most of the time) with just Maynard(marked) and whoever else up front(marked) who arnt moving what do you expect him to do. I personally think he does amazing to always come out with the ball. If he was managing to skin 3 players who are all over him and thread a pin point pass to 2 marked striker who arnt moving. I seriously doubt he would be playing for us. (I couldnt imagine any Premier League players being able to do that either)

The fact he was subbed after an hour I would also guess is because he hasnt really played much since QPR. I'd say GJ thaught he was running on empty. Not because he was playing poorly,as before Haynes came on he was our best player. Him and Hartley in the middle would be a quality pairing.

The poster who said he was considered rubbish by his other teams. You do realise that was Celtic and Ajax? As a 18 year old he was deemed good enough to be starting in the champions league for Celtic. But alot of the fans didnt rate him. So hes automatically a poor player? Ajax got a new manager and he didnt like him. The previous manager liked him enough to sign him. That doesnt make him rubbish. Hes what 21/22? and the strongest and cleverist(is that a word) player in our team. He would get into almost any championship team and probably in to lower prem ones aswell.

The myth that he holds up play is a funny one aswell. When he is passed the ball marked by 3 players (most of the time) with just Maynard(marked) and whoever else up front(marked) who arnt moving what do you expect him to do

It is not a myth. When he holds the ball with 3 players around him - that is great - its his strength in his game - he is brilliant at retaining possesion - class.

But there has been occasions when a quick simple pass has been on, but he ignores it and slows the play down.

I think Sno is a talent - but he is not perfect and he does occasionally slow the game down - when he does not need too.

It is not a myth. When he holds the ball with 3 players around him - that is great - its his strength in his game - he is brilliant at retaining possesion - class.

But there has been occasions when a quick simple pass has been on, but he ignores it and slows the play down.

I think Sno is a talent - but he is not perfect and he does occasionally slow the game down - when he does not need too.

Myth was deffinatly the wrong word to use. But the stick he gets on here from some would make you think hes getting the ball unmarked standing with it for 10 minutes then giving it to Gerken. Its his Judgement that is his problem on occasions like that. Not his footballing ability. But his judgement is only going to improve with age and experience.

Some of you bashers need to watch the game. Every player in our team looks to give the ball to him as soon as they can so i'd assume he is very highly rated by our squad. The myth that he holds up play is a funny one aswell. on

Watch our other players when he has the ball and wont release the EASY ball to them. That may be an eye opener to youyes.gif .

And its no myth that he holds on to the ball to long, any chance of a quick counter attack stops as soon as Sno has the ball.

How you dont actually see this is beyond me.

I personally think that Sno's talent is quite obvious; his touch, ability to retain possesion and strength set him apart from most midfielders in this division. However, he's obviously not doing everything right, as evidenced by some of the over-the-top rants against him on here. I think that, while Sno himself must look to adapt himself more, his cause has been completely undermined by the fact he's played just about every position forwards of the back 3/4 this season. He's new to this league and its not suprising that he's struggled to settle when he's bumped around the pitch so much. I reckon he'd be best served playing behind the striker(s) or infront of the back 4; basically in a 'pocket' which might allow him space to play those magical long passes.

Hopefully better management will lead to better performances, but i do agree that so far he hasn't done enough to warrant us paying hefty fee for the lad

Watch our other players when he has the ball and wont release the EASY ball to them. That may be an eye opener to youyes.gif .

And its no myth that he holds on to the ball to long, any chance of a quick counter attack stops as soon as Sno has the ball.

How you dont actually see this is beyond me.

I need an eye opener? Because I can appreciate a technically very gifted footballer? I think you follow the wrong sport.

How you say Sno is awfull is beyond me.

Myth was deffinatly the wrong word to use. But the stick he gets on here from some would make you think hes getting the ball unmarked standing with it for 10 minutes then giving it to Gerken. Its his Judgement that is his problem on occasions like that. Not his footballing ability. But his judgement is only going to improve with age and experience.

I totally agree

I've never seen him slow the game down when a good pass was on. You seem to be saying he should take any quick simple pass rather than keep it?

Passing just because someone is available isn't the right thing to do unless they have more options than you do.

You'll end up with them getting chased down and they likely won't even have you as an option to pass back to.

When there's no option on it's better to hold the ball waiting for people to move and also drawing defenders to you which in itself changes the options.

I've never seen him slow the game down when a good pass was on. You seem to be saying he should take any quick simple pass rather than keep it?

Passing just because someone is available isn't the right thing to do unless they have more options than you do.

You'll end up with them getting chased down and they likely won't even have you as an option to pass back to.

When there's no option on it's better to hold the ball waiting for people to move and also drawing defenders to you which in itself changes the options.

You are stating the obvious - he has on a few occasions kept the ball, when the was a player in a better position.

It seems to me that Sno is one of those players that pleases some and frustrates others. Anyone sitting in the Williams would know that the decision to sub Sno was booed in some quarters.

Personally, I though he had a great game today and was gobsmacked when Johnson subbed him for Sproule. I thought he and Hartley linked up well and some of his short passing was sublime.

He's a big, strong player on the ball and when coming out of defence, gives the rest of the team a chance to catch up and launch an attack by holding up the ball and linking play. If he had a modicum of pace, he wouldn't be lowering himself playing for us.

There was a typical incident just before he was subbed - picked up the ball, left-central just inside their half, looking for someone in front of him to come off their marker and nobody moved. After hanging on to it for a few seconds, he gave up and passed it back to McAllister (I think!). There was the typical groan from the crowd, yet it was all he could do.

Completely agree.

I thought Sno was our best player up until being subbed, ( not much competition, admittedly) I really can't fathom GJ's decisions sometimes.

I can only think that, although playing well, he wasn't doing exactly what GJ had told him to do.

Sno being hauled off at Cardiff was equally bemusing.

I simply can't believe some of the comments on here. Were you watching the game? He opened things up time and time again - changes direction at the drop of the hat and is very comfortable on the ball.

Given the lack of understanding about football shown on these boards, I almost feel sorry for Johnson that he's judged by such ignorance. Sno is potentially on eof the best players we've ever had at Ashton Gate - the fact that he is played out of postion most of the time and not given a chance to settle in the team and let Hartley, Elliot or Skuse and the strikers get used to his creativity is not his fault, I think he's almost too good for us - that's the problem

'Given the lack of understanding about football shown on these boards, I almost feel sorry for Johnson that he's judged by such ignorance.'

I almost never go onto the forum as a result of most of the ill informed drivel that seems to cotinuously pile out from the majority of posters but this is one of the best comments I have ever seen. You would not expect an inexperienced, ill informed person to come up with a rational point of view on any subject they have an interest in but no true understanding of what goes on behind the scenes. Most of us can drive a car but very few know about the sum total of the engine parts and what needs fine tuning from time to time. Sno is, technically speaking, the best footballer at the club bar none. His passing can be hit and miss true enough but his quality in the middle of the park has to be acknowledged. Given an extended run as a central mdfielder with Hartley and Elliott/Johnson/Skuse I am sure he will only improve.

I simply can't believe some of the comments on here. Were you watching the game? He opened things up time and time again - changes direction at the drop of the hat and is very comfortable on the ball.

Given the lack of understanding about football shown on these boards, I almost feel sorry for Johnson that he's judged by such ignorance. Sno is potentially on eof the best players we've ever had at Ashton Gate - the fact that he is played out of postion most of the time and not given a chance to settle in the team and let Hartley, Elliot or Skuse and the strikers get used to his creativity is not his fault, I think he's almost too good for us - that's the problem

Your right he's too good. The problem for us is he is on 20k per week at Ajax and we can't afford to sign him.

I'm 110% sure that if he played 10 games in CM he wil Sno he's the real deal. He was the best player bar that cross on saturday.

Fact He's the best player we've got!!

'Given the lack of understanding about football shown on these boards, I almost feel sorry for Johnson that he's judged by such ignorance.'

I almost never go onto the forum as a result of most of the ill informed drivel that seems to cotinuously pile out from the majority of posters but this is one of the best comments I have ever seen. You would not expect an inexperienced, ill informed person to come up with a rational point of view on any subject they have an interest in but no true understanding of what goes on behind the scenes. Most of us can drive a car but very few know about the sum total of the engine parts and what needs fine tuning from time to time. Sno is, technically speaking, the best footballer at the club bar none. His passing can be hit and miss true enough but his quality in the middle of the park has to be acknowledged. Given an extended run as a central mdfielder with Hartley and Elliott/Johnson/Skuse I am sure he will only improve.

Agree and think he has improved. After his first game for us I said we should build a team around him, with him as a floating advanced CM... and my view hasn't changed. He is one of the 3 best players we have and I also think we should be playing a 4-3-3 around him (as you seem to).

Obviously the people on here who think Sno is crap, are better judges of football than the Dutch National team managers, Ajax, Feyenoord and Breda managers and Celtic manager.

The fact he was utilised by Breda in 9 different positions, just go to show how talented he is as a footballer and a credit to the Ajax 'total football' youth system.

Sometimes a player can look bad, because of other players around him, who are not so well aware of positioning and space. A misplaced pass can sometimes be the fault of the receiver, rather than the passer.

'Super Jack' often had the same problems when he played for us.

Your right he's too good. The problem for us is he is on 20k per week at Ajax and we can't afford to sign him.

I'm 110% sure that if he played 10 games in CM he wil Sno he's the real deal. He was the best player bar that cross on saturday.

Fact He's the best player we've got!!

I give uprofl2br.gif I just cant believe what i am reading.

Some of you should actually watch the bloke play rather than just believing what you think.

I admit that if there was no opposition players on the pitch he could look good, but unfortunatly.............

I give up:rofl2br: I just cant believe what i am reading.

Some of you should actually watch the bloke play rather than just believing what you think.

I admit that if there was no opposition players on the pitch he could look good, but unfortunatly.............

Let me guess, you want us to play frankie artus in his place?? :rofl2br:

I give uprofl2br.gif I just cant believe what i am reading.

To be fair I can't believe what you wrote to start with and luckily the majority see him differently to you.

Let me guess, you want us to play frankie artus in his place?? rofl2br.gif

As usual your guess is wrongyes.gif i would rather see someone who is actually suited to playing in the Championship, someone with a bit of pace, someone who creates things, someone who has some desire,Someone who has no need to have 5 touches (to allow the oppo defence to get there shape) before playing a ten yard ball he could have played after one touch.

I could go on but i have to go to work now, i will read your normal witty juggle.gif reply some other time.

Archived