IGNORED

Reasons Why Things Are Going Wrong

formerly known as ivan

1. not playing the best keeper outside the premier league and replacing him with a league 1 reject. i know people will say he has saved us on many occassions but he has also cost us many times as well, plus the defence have no faith in him what so ever.

2. two aging defenders in carey and mcallister and although its sad to say, they have lost what they had. need to start playing the youngsters. get riberio back and have a back for of orr, wilson, fontaine, riberio. have to try something different and this certainly wouldnt be any worse than what we already have.

3. no decent wingers! been a problem all season and we really need to get someone in on loan for the remainder of the season. danny rose from spurs would be a great signing.

4. not knowing our best midfield partnership from skuse, johnson, elliott, hartley and sno. I would like to see skuse and elliott in the middle tomorrow night and then give them a few games playing in the middle to get some consistancy.

i think most of our problems at the moment can be fixed with what we have at the club, with teh exception of the wingers. just down to how long johnson leaves things before realising the team needs to be shaken up!

5. Carey talking openly to people saying no player has any faith in johnson.

Perhaps, our awful displays of late aren't down to our ageing defenders, but more down to a team who will not perform under a very confused and tactically inept manager.

I've heard of players losing form, but all looking poor at the same time?!

1. Basso wants to leave. You can't play a player that doesn't want to play for the team or stay at the club. Johnson didn't know this until the start of the season and by then it was too late to sign a replacement 'number 1', so we've had to go with the planned 2nd choice 'keeper in Gerken and generally he's been ok as a replacement. I think GJ will already have been looking for a more permenant replacement and will sign one in the summer.

2. Whilst the entire back 4 (or 5) has been pretty poor all season, playing people like Ribeiro and James Wilson, would not help in my opinion and would probably make us worse at the back.

3. We now have a few decent wingers (Sproule, Haynes, Campbell-Ryce) although Johnson made the mistake pre-season of trying to play without wingers and since the team have been confused whenever we've tried. Players like Sproule should be playing more consistently though so the rest of the team can learn how to use him better.

4. I think our best midfield partnership that Johnson has always tried to play (when fit) this year is Skuse and Hartley. It normally works ok and when both are on form it's brilliant but the problem is the rest of the team has no real shape around them, making it hard for us to use possession well.

The main problems for me are down to a combination of us overachieving the past few seasons and the manager not being able to take a bit of criticism earlier in the campaign leading to a poor relationship with the fans and a collection of poor team selections/formations.

Perhaps, our awful displays of late aren't down to our ageing defenders, but more down to a team who will not perform under a very confused and tactically inept manager.

This sounds outrageous - if a player is doing this then he should be sacked, information like this should be left in the dressing room. Is this actually true?

1. Basso wants to leave. You can't play a player that doesn't want to play for the team or stay at the club.

Can someone explain this to me as there's some thing I may have missed?

Basso puts in a transfer request and is not selected on the grounds that he does not wish to play for the club.

Johnson offers his resignation( i.e. he does not wish to manage the club) and yet he's still in charge. Double standards surely?

1. not playing the best keeper outside the premier league and replacing him with a league 1 reject. i know people will say he has saved us on many occassions but he has also cost us many times as well, plus the defence have no faith in him what so ever. Cant agree. Other than a recent sticky patch deano has done the business for us. Dont assume Basso would come in and give us his all. Not saying he wouldn't but with the current situation who knows?

2. two aging defenders in carey and mcallister and although its sad to say, they have lost what they had. need to start playing the youngsters. get riberio back and have a back for of orr, wilson, fontaine, riberio. have to try something different and this certainly wouldnt be any worse than what we already have. Carey is still a great defender IMO. Agree regarding Macca.

3. no decent wingers! been a problem all season and we really need to get someone in on loan for the remainder of the season. danny rose from spurs would be a great signing. Cant argue with that.

4. not knowing our best midfield partnership from skuse, johnson, elliott, hartley and sno. I would like to see skuse and elliott in the middle tomorrow night and then give them a few games playing in the middle to get some consistancy. Skuse and hartley for me

i think most of our problems at the moment can be fixed with what we have at the club, with teh exception of the wingers. just down to how long johnson leaves things before realising the team needs to be shaken up!

Basso puts in a transfer request and is not selected on the grounds that he does not wish to play for the club.

Johnson offers his resignation( i.e. he does not wish to manage the club) and yet he's still in charge. Double standards surely?

Johnson is the manager of the team. Even if that rumour is true, then the ones above him (Lansdown and maybe some players) obviously wanted to stick with him so he can turn it around. GJ gave Basso nearly 6 months to change his mind and kept him around the team for most of that time. He clearly still wasn't happy for whatever reasons and wants to go so I don't see anyway that Gary Johnson can select him.

I have also heard this. Although the person he told was'nt just anyone, he was his mate... that person told my mate.....

of course its all hearsay and its up to you to decide if you believe it...

2. Whilst the entire back 4 (or 5) has been pretty poor all season, playing people like Ribeiro and James Wilson, would not help in my opinion and would probably make us worse at the back.

Everyone is entitled to their own view. You obviously hold the same opiinion as GJ.

Our defensive form has been dire recently yet we never look to change anything. simply stick with the same 4 / 5 players week in week out for the past 30 or so games. Is this a successful approach, how have our results looked during this time?

After watching how slow we are at times and how easily teams can get behind us surely giving the likes of Ribs & Wilson a run would be an advantage and not be greater risk for the club. Why can more successful Championship teams like Cardiff play their younger players without believing they are taking an unacceptable risk?

Even when Fonts was injured on Saturday Wilson was not going to be used as other midfileders were asked to warm up. Clear message there for all our academy products. How can these players be expected to show confidence when clearly the club continually demonstrates it has no confidence in them.

Seems to me that if these well fancied 20 /21 year old's cannot get a sniff when the team is either winning or losing, it would be best if they were sold by the club to help fund more experienced players who are more inline with the mould of player preferred at our club.

If you continue to do what you've done, you'll continue to get what you have.

Apologies to everyone if it sounds like a rant, just getting more and more frustrated.

Everyone is entitled to their own view. You obviously hold the same opiinion as GJ.

Our defensive form has been dire recently yet we never look to change anything. simply stick with the same 4 / 5 players week in week out for the past 30 or so games. Is this a successful approach, how have our results looked during this time?

After watching how slow we are at times and how easily teams can get behind us surely giving the likes of Ribs & Wilson a run would be an advantage and not be greater risk for the club. Why can more successful Championship teams like Cardiff play their younger players without believing they are taking an unacceptable risk?

Even when Fonts was injured on Saturday Wilson was not going to be used as other midfileders were asked to warm up. Clear message there for all our academy products. How can these players be expected to show confidence when clearly the club continually demonstrates it has no confidence in them.

Seems to me that if these well fancied 20 /21 year old's cannot get a sniff when the team is either winning or losing, it would be best if they were sold by the club to help fund more experienced players who are more inline with the mould of player preferred at our club.

If you continue to do what you've done, you'll continue to get what you have.

Apologies to everyone if it sounds like a rant, just getting more and more frustrated.

All very true

When we can't score GJ keeps dropping strikers, but when we can't defend, he just mixes around the same players, such as moving Nyatanga to LB. He certainly doesn't believe in dropping poorly performing defenders in the same way as he does with the forwards. The defence is shaky enough already, without moving them around and removing what little understanding they already have.

I really feel for Ribeiro and Wilson, because what must they be thinking when they see that shambles out there on the pitch and are left in no doubt by the manager that he thinks they are no better?

I've heard this too from someone within the club, and also that Saborio will never play for us again and has disappeared to Greece (who knows what truth there is in that).

How about-

We have a horribly unbalanced squad.

The players lack confidence.

Tactics change 3 time a match so nobody knows what they are doing.

Our tactical genius of a Manager thinks that bringing in strikers solves any problem.

We have no settled side.

We have no settled formation.

We are wasting money at an alraming rate.

Despite above spending things just get worse.

No idea about Carey, but the defence is shambolic at times.

No decent goal attempts in 3 away games.

Let's hope that Leicester are poor!

A player putting in a transfer request is a pretty good indication that he wants to go, for whatever reason, and does not want to play for the club.

Manager' sometime s resign because they have another club waiting int he wibngs, and that would eb comparable with the Basso situation. This isn't.

In this case, if what we are led to beleieve did happen, and that Johnson offered his resignation at half- time against Cardiff, then his resignation was him offering to take responsibility, so not the same thing at all.

1. not playing the best keeper outside the premier league and replacing him with a league 1 reject. i know people will say he has saved us on many occassions but he has also cost us many times as well, plus the defence have no faith in him what so ever.

2. two aging defenders in carey and mcallister and although its sad to say, they have lost what they had. need to start playing the youngsters. get riberio back and have a back for of orr, wilson, fontaine, riberio. have to try something different and this certainly wouldnt be any worse than what we already have.

3. no decent wingers! been a problem all season and we really need to get someone in on loan for the remainder of the season. danny rose from spurs would be a great signing.

4. not knowing our best midfield partnership from skuse, johnson, elliott, hartley and sno. I would like to see skuse and elliott in the middle tomorrow night and then give them a few games playing in the middle to get some consistancy.

I've heard this too from someone within the club, and also that Saborio will never play for us again and has disappeared to Greece (who knows what truth there is in that).

This really goe's back to Michael McIndoe's outburst about practically saying the team wasn't good enough last season ,say what you like about him letting him and Nick Carle go was down to sheer bloody mindness on Johnson's part yet we keep shite like McCombe,Wilson,McCallister ect,now that Styvar has apparently gone on to yet another club because he was so bad for the club we loaned him to ,another 1 in Saborio waiting to join the Stern John,Agyemang,Trundle,list of only recent duff signings. We get told nothing just pay your money and don't moan trust me is all fat boy johnson can say ,sooner he f##ks off with the rest of his clan the better way out of his depth alright for him and his nice 5 year contract wins if he get's fired nice little earner if he stays .

How about-

We have a horribly unbalanced squad.

The players lack confidence.

Tactics change 3 time a match so nobody knows what they are doing.

Our tactical genius of a Manager thinks that bringing in strikers solves any problem.

We have no settled side.

We have no settled formation.

We are wasting money at an alraming rate.

Despite above spending things just get worse.

No idea about Carey, but the defence is shambolic at times.

No decent goal attempts in 3 away games.

Let's hope that Leicester are poor!

Great post, lets hope Weale is feeling sorry for us. fingerscrossed.gif

I liked Basso and I like Gerken - but they BOTH make mistakes. I think Dean has probably gifted two goals this season but so did Basso last season.

If Basso is the best keeper outside the prem how come no one has been beating down our door to sign him

Only had Exeter asking for him, this best keeper outside of the Premier League chat is rubbish. He was a good championship keeper, there are lots of good championship keepers.

Johnson seems to have something about him where he has a lot of players who are never going to play for him again... one or maybe two players is one thing but when it starts becoming a regular thing, you have to look at the common denominator.

Basso's situation is not one that I think is clear cut, and not one that I think is going to be as easily settled with statements like "he clearly wants to go" because I do not believe that to be the case. It all happened too quick, and would a player who wants to go somewhere else leave himself in a position where he cannot actually get even a reserve team run out so he can put himself in the shop window?

I agree with all 4 of your points (maybe not to the extent of putting youngsters in the back 4 just yet but certainly some changes are needed), and I think that the fact that Carey has allegedly said that wouldn't be too far wide of the mark either.

I liked Basso and I like Gerken - but they BOTH make mistakes. I think Dean has probably gifted two goals this season but so did Basso last season.

Only had Exeter asking for him, this best keeper outside of the Premier League chat is rubbish. He was a good championship keeper, there are lots of good championship keepers.

When Johnson gets sacked Sunday will the new manager bring him straight back, i really think SL will do this if we lose the next two.

Dont know if the Carey thing is true, but I certainly see our defenders blaming everyone but themselves whenever we let a goal in, maybe he should think about how well he justifies his fat salary before blaming the manager, keeper, Orr, the tea lady or whoever else he thinks is their fault.

I think one of the biggest reasons we're not doing well is that summer signings weren't done to build a team, just buy good players. Hartley and Sno became available in particular and GJ snapped them up as they are evidently quality players, but they weren't bought to fit into a tactic or structure of a team he wanted to play; he just thought it would be too good an opportunity to miss. As a result we've got far too many central midfielders, and quite similar central midfielders, i.e. good at passing, and relatively creative but, importantly, no regular goal scorers and apart from Marv (and he's lost his form) no battling midfielders. Of course no wingers is something else on this list.

It's an old clichee but I do think midfield is the most important area on the pitch ahead of both attack and defence, and I just don't think GJ thought through the balance needed.

I have also heard this. Although the person he told was'nt just anyone, he was his mate... that person told my mate.....

of course its all hearsay and its up to you to decide if you believe it...

riaz, anyone who goes to the games will know that this is the case. they blatantly havent been playing for him for a few months. now it looks like they are actually trying to get him the sack.

normally when this happens at a club i'd say the players are out of order. but after watching the ridiculous tactics this season i honestly dont blame them.

The best keeper outside the Premier League? Hardly. Basso used to make all kinds of mistakes, but it was widely accepted that he won us more points than he lost. I would say Gerken has been exactly the same this season

Totally agree. At the end of the day, both Ribiero and Wilson have been out this season and played well on loan (especially Ribs) and confidence is a big part of a footballer playing well. Given that confidence is exactly what we don't have it seems madness to keep him away from the squad. I guess Johnson's argument would be that this kind of pressure situation is not one to bring a young player into, but really Ribiero and Wilson can do no worse than the incumbents at the minute

It's not necessarily down to how good Basso is, it's about the spirit and belief he gave to the team.

City's success was built on players like Basso, McCombe and Orr rising above their natural ability levels through sheer will and determination and instilling that belief in those around them.

For one reason or another only one of those players remains in the first team and the belief seems to have gone. The players don't have faith in one another and they don't seem to believe they can win any more.

Bringing back Basso will only work if it's a happy, determined and positive Basso. Johnson may never again have that option. That's not to say I necessarily blame Johnson for the situation but it's something he needs to deal with better than he has done so far.

You've heard this aswell?

Archived