IGNORED

Akinde

Red Rag

With the recent arrival of two on loan strikers I have began to question if there is a reason John Akinde never gets an opportunity.

It makes me wonder if there is a clause in his transfer aggreement which is triggered subject to the number of starting appearances he

makes for City. With the circumstances as they are it does seem odd that he is never given a chance.

Your thoughts please.

I'd say that's unlikely. I think he's just very raw and Johnson doesn't want to pin his hopes, and ultimately his job, on one so inexperienced.

But surely it is pinning hopes on experience that has got us into our current position.

Perhaps a different approach might be the one to get us out of it?

But surely it is pinning hopes on experience that has got us into our current position.

Perhaps a different approach might be the one to get us out of it?

I agree, but I dont think Akinde will really be up to it if he was given the chance, he might be in the future, but I dont think he is now.

I'd say that's unlikely. I think he's just very raw and Johnson doesn't want to pin his hopes, and ultimately his job, on one so inexperienced.

It's the Danny Wilson scenario revisited. Danny Wilson wouldn't play Leroy Lita - or even have him on the bench - for the play-off final with Brighton. Danny Wilson then lost his job because we didn't even get a shot on goal.

It's the Danny Wilson scenario revisited. Danny Wilson wouldn't play Leroy Lita - or even have him on the bench - for the play-off final with Brighton. Danny Wilson then lost his job because we didn't even get a shot on goal.

It does seem that as time goes by managers become more and more conservative. It must be hard to break out of that and make brave decisions.

Did you ever read "The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro"? Now that I think about it there are a few similarities between Johnson and Jaconi. Both achieved some remarkable success with lower league players but began to struggle at the higher level, both seem very headstrong, determined and aggressive, and both end up utterly paralysed by fear, becoming more and more defensive when taking a chance or two might lead to a pressure relieving victory.

Of course Johnson has much more at his disposal in terms of resources and there is none of the corruption, but I definitely think there might be parallels.

Of course Johnson has much more at his disposal in terms of resources and there is none of the corruption, but I definitely think there might be parallels.

What got me really scratching my head about Gary Johnson was his decision to let Nick Carle go to our Championship rivals Palace after the Wembley play-off final. It was suggested at the time that Nick Carle's departure would lead to Lee Johnson having no competition for the centre midfield role and that's a form of corruption if true.

What got me really scratching my head about Gary Johnson was his decision to let Nick Carle go to our Championship rivals Palace after the Wembley play-off final. It was suggested at the time that Nick Carle's departure would lead to Lee Johnson having no competition for the centre midfield role and that's a form of corruption if true.

Carle asked for a move to clear his gambling debts allegedly.

The profit on Nick Carle good business IMO as for the apperance suggestion what a good joke for a Monday morning i strongly expect thats not the reason.

With the recent arrival of two on loan strikers I have began to question if there is a reason John Akinde never gets an opportunity.

It makes me wonder if there is a clause in his transfer aggreement which is triggered subject to the number of starting appearances he

makes for City. With the circumstances as they are it does seem odd that he is never given a chance.

Your thoughts please.

According to Brentford fans, Akinde was very disappointing for them against Wycombe on Saturday. He was subbed shortly after the hour mark.

According to Brentford fans, Akinde was very disappointing for them against Wycombe on Saturday. He was subbed shortly after the hour mark.

Yup, he is not match fit yet. This is why he is not in our starting line up

Bloke in our workplace is a Brentford fan. He said he wasn't match the other week and certainly wasn't on Saturday either

His exact words were "knackered"

Yup, he is not match fit yet. This is why he is not in our starting line up

Bloke in our workplace is a Brentford fan. He said he wasn't match the other week and certainly wasn't on Saturday either

His exact words were "knackered"

During our promotion seasonand our first in the championship, apart from team spirit, the other thing that often got us through was our superior fitness - we kept going to the end of a game.

Now, not onloy is it the oppossition all to often snatching a goal at the end , we seem to have players struggling for fitness left right and centre. Clarkson has struggled to get match fit, Sno's fitness seems to be in question, Hartley has to be rested ( I accept his age plays a part) and we now seem to lose players during the warm up, for heaven's sake. at 20'ish Akinde should be naturally fit, and unless he's had a knock I would be worried if he is struggling to last 65 minutes before being subbed.

Has GJ been choosing only the most delicate of players to sign for us, or is there something fundementally wrong with our training methods, players diets or is it just the Bristol water?

I did wonder with Akinde, whether he has the same sort of problem that Stephen Gerrard had when he was about 20 or so. Gerrard hadn't finished growing, so had to be rested because of the niggly injuries he kept picking up. Mind you, if Akinde will end up about 7'9" tall if he hasn't finished growing yet, but at least he will be the big target man we've wanted for some time!

I'll tell you who should get a go on Tuesday - James Wilson. Having watched the PATHETIC efforts of Carey, Fontaine and Nyatanga on Saturday it would be another nail in the Academy coffin if at least one of them wasn't dropped and TWENTY ONE YEAR OLD Wilson (he ain't a kid any more) given a starting berth.

I'll tell you who should get a go on Tuesday - James Wilson. Having watched the PATHETIC efforts of Carey, Fontaine and Nyatanga on Saturday it would be another nail in the Academy coffin if at least one of them wasn't dropped and TWENTY ONE YEAR OLD Wilson (he ain't a kid any more) given a starting berth.

Pathetic is a bit strong, i take it you played a standard of football (Somerset Senior with Tunley) but i sure Carey didn't go out to be pathetic or is he has i said previously trying to get Johnson SACKED.

Pathetic is a bit strong, i take it you played a standard of football (Somerset Senior with Tunley) but i sure Carey didn't go out to be pathetic or is he has i said previously trying to get Johnson SACKED.

Everything is relative. The three players at the back mentioned were responsible between them for both goals with awful defending that was nowhere near Championship standard. It is not the first time it has happened recently either (and neither goal had nothing to do with Gerken despite the "hopes" of the straw clutchers on here) and it is about time that the Manager shows some balls and drops at least one of these repeatedly under performing players to the bench at least.

No professional goes out there to play badly, I agree, but if they do then they ought to be in a position where there is a possibility they will get dropped for repeated poor performance. Under "Guaranteed Gary" it seems that certain players are handed a first team spot on a silver plate and are given it for keeps.

Everything is relative. The three players at the back mentioned were responsible between them for both goals with awful defending that was nowhere near Championship standard. It is not the first time it has happened recently either (and neither goal had nothing to do with Gerken despite the "hopes" of the straw clutchers on here) and it is about time that the Manager shows some balls and drops at least one of these repeatedly under performing players to the bench at least.

No professional goes out there to play badly, I agree, but if they do then they ought to be in a position where there is a possibility they will get dropped for repeated poor performance. Under "Guaranteed Gary" it seems that certain players are handed a first team spot on a silver plate and are given it for keeps.

Thinking about it the silver plate players are the back four. Guaranteed Gary, if i was the manager Hartley maybe Gerken seriously thats about it who would be in my team.

Your thoughts please.

From soccerlens .com

But beyond all the finances is the footballing side, and both Ebbsfleet and Bristol City can be happy for a deal for a talented young striker. For Fleet, a £150,000 fee plus a potential £125,000 in total add-ons represents great business for a player who has made just 34 appearances and scored 12 goals. This would be an excellent deal for any club at Conference level

If Steve Collis was meant to have been battliing it out with Chris Weale whilst he was at Yeovil, then I'd put him in as keeper instead of Gerkin, because at the moment it's blatantly obvious that the back three/back four have absolutely no confidence in Gerkin at the moment.

I know this won't solve our inability to score, but it may just give us a platform to build on.

I'll tell you who should get a go on Tuesday - James Wilson.

I agree Wilson needs games but you do not throw him into this situation if you want him to progress, it is madness. You let your experienced pros who got us into this mess get us out of it and play Wilson when we're safe.

I agree Wilson needs games but you do not throw him into this situation if you want him to progress, it is madness. You let your experienced pros who got us into this mess get us out of it and play Wilson when we're safe.

agreed nibor, but just say with a few games to go and there is no way we can go down and no way we can get into play-offs. Could you see johnson playing him? Id like to say yes, but could see johnson saying that he needs to see which players still want to be here and not using him. Is wilson as good as he has been made out to be? Ive only seen him play a couple of times and each time it was typical he had a bad game

Your thoughts please.

We did have a clause in his contract with Ebsfleet - We paid 150k of the 200k agreed fee with the final 50k to be paid once he made 10 first team appearances (which has now been paid) so i think it is unlikely that there is a sub-clause relating to actual starts.....

If Steve Collis was meant to have been battliing it out with Chris Weale whilst he was at Yeovil, then I'd put him in as keeper instead of Gerkin, because at the moment it's blatantly obvious that the back three/back four have absolutely no confidence in Gerkin at the moment.

I know this won't solve our inability to score, but it may just give us a platform to build on.

Gerkin's doing fine for me despite having to deal with some attrociously paced back passes from his defence.

I'm not so sure about this recently oft trotted out 'fact' that the defenders have no confidence in Gerkin. To me, the opposite is more likely, with constant poor defending from the likes of Carey and Orr meaning Gerkin could be forgiven for having absolutely no confidence in them.

Gerkin's played well, on the whole, this season - you really can't say the same about any of the defence.

Funny really because he is pinning his hopes on one of the worst strikers I have ever seen i.e Agyemang.I think it confirms he has lost it completely.

Gerkin's doing fine for me despite having to deal with some attrociously paced back passes from his defence.

I'm not so sure about this recently oft trotted out 'fact' that the defenders have no confidence in Gerkin. To me, the opposite is more likely, with constant poor defending from the likes of Carey and Orr meaning Gerkin could be forgiven for having absolutely no confidence in them.

Gerkin's played well, on the whole, this season - you really can't say the same about any of the defence.

There ain't no fact about it, you can see it with your own eyes! The defence would rather play a risky ball rather than pass back to Gerkin, and likewise they're unsure about when he comes off his line and when doesn't which and generally lead to a right balls up ie. Players colliding, dodgy own goals, goal keeper mis-kicks and defenders being head butted!!

It's so obvious that the communication between the defence and Gerkin isn't trusted.

However I can't fault some of the saves that Gerkin has made this season (other than some of the dubious near post goals he tends to let in quite a lot)

There ain't no fact about it, you can see it with your own eyes! The defence would rather play a risky ball rather than pass back to Gerkin, and likewise they're unsure about when he comes off his line and when doesn't which and generally lead to a right balls up ie. Players colliding, dodgy own goals, goal keeper mis-kicks and defenders being head butted!!

It's so obvious that the communication between the defence and Gerkin isn't trusted.

However I can't fault some of the saves that Gerkin has made this season (other than some of the dubious near post goals he tends to let in quite a lot)

I'm loath to lay the blame on Gerken when it's so obvious ( I've seen it with my own eyeswink.gif) that our defence, to a man, have been inconsistent, off form and mistake prone.

There has been no leadership in the defence, or organisation from 'the Captain', which, coupled with inconsistent selection, injuries and illness haven't helped Gerken - or the defenders themselves, to be fair.

I don't see Gerken as having been responsible for giving away many goals this season but we see individual errors (which have nothing to do with Gerken) from defenders on a weekly basis leading directly to opposition goals.

I'd replace Orr and Carey long before I considered Gerken's position.

By the way, in the circumstances, Gerken was surely quite right to demolish Fontaine at the weekend - it was the consequence of exactly what any good goalkeeper would have done, and exactly what GJ, and Fontaine himself, would have expected him to do in that situation. He'd have got a hell of a lot more stick if he'd held back and his reticence had led to City conceding.

Just as well he charged out of his area to clear in the first half as well because the defence was nowhere to be seen.

Archived