IGNORED

Lee Johnson

gary cornes

Didn't see LJ make one defence splitting pass tonight and why didn't Hartley start ahead of him?!

Several to put Sproule in behind the defence.

I view Lee Johnson as objectively as any other player, and tonight he put in more tackles, made better passes and even won more headers than Marvin Elliott, who seemed well off the pace.

With Paul Hartley now rested, I would drop Marvin Elliott to the bench.

I must admit, I was surprised that Gary Johnson replaced Skuse with Sproule instead of Hartley, but it worked, so what do I know?

Didn't see LJ make one defence splitting pass tonight and why didn't Hartley start ahead of him?!

Might need to take a visit to Specsavers then mate. LJ was nearly always on the ball last night and one of the reasons we had so much decent possession in the opposition half. He thread the ball through to Haynes, Clarkson and Sproule plenty of times and gave plenty of options to other players like Bradley Orr who had a better game in return.

Plus, bar the odd free kick, Hartley's been poor for about a month and needed to be rested.

I'm no fan of LJ and generally I don't think he brings enough to the game. But last night I thought he played well. Plenty of movement and attacking passes, won a few headers, got some good (and one very important) tackles in and kept going for the entire game. Trying to be as objective as possible, although Hartley is a classier player I do think that LJ gets forward more often and more quickly than PH.

Anyway I thought it was a better performance and though we rode our luck at times, we ought have been able to hang on for a win but were again undone by a very late lapse in defending.

Hope we can cause an upset on Sunday. fingerscrossed.gifpraying%20smiley.gif

I have been a critic of LJ in recent times though I think he has been a great servant to this club.

I would not have picked him last night or probably even have had him on the bench.

BUT ...... BUT

I thought he played really well last night and he was my man of the match.

The manager took a brave decision that could have backfired on him so badly and it paid off.

That's the Gary Johnson we all remember and believe in!

LJ obviously has to start on Sunday if fit on the back of that performance!

Just to clarify that LJ has the grand total of 2 assists, thats including last season and this season added together. Thats 61 full games plus 6 subs = 2 assists. Woeful stats.

Assists should come mainly from the wide men. Lee played well last night in his right position. He normally does play well it's just that most fans cannot see past his surname. Key player in the right position. Change the record Boys and Girls.....violin.gif

For once I havebeen vindicated - atleast in my own mind!

I upset a few people on a pre-match thread that I thought LJ brought more to the team than PH on the evidence that I have seen so far this season, that includes all home games.

As a previous poster had said PH may look classy on the ball but his age and lack of mobility lets him down.

I also wanted a midfield of Elliott, LJ and Skuse, so that Elliott and Skuse could do all the closing down and allow LJ to support th forweards and help out defence. If 442 then it doesn't matter whether haynes or Sproule are wide right.I thought it worked well tonight, and the stats show 50% possession, city 10 shots on target, leicester 5, city tackles 18, leicester 13 which I believe came through on what we saw. I concede they hit the post.

In terms of indiviual performances skuse made some geat tackles but also some surprisingly bad passes, Elliott's distribution is not his strong point but gave everything and LJ contributed with some great through balls, even got some tackles in and headers, as well as a hoof into the dolman, but even sno is capable of crossing into the back row of the east end as seen recently, so I believe they all contributed to providing the front e players with some opportunities which we have not seenfor a long time. At the end I could not see the difference between a 6th place team and a 16th place team which I believe is the difficulty with this division

This thread confirms to be that some people will slate LJ regardless of his performances. He had a good game last night, made lots of key passes and tackles and generally played well. As others have stated, he was much much better than Marvin last night. I'm glad that the majority are quite happy to acknowledge when he has a good game, it's just a shame that some people will always have blinkers on when they watch LJ play.

I went to the match last night, really enjoyed the game and thought lee played really well.

What did get me was my daughter was mascot last night (God was i proud)

and behind the scenes everyone was great.

All the players were great especially Lee, Cole, Louis, Nicky,Brads and Paul Hartley.

Now when we got back to our seats after my daughter had got changed, we'd missed about 5 -6 mins of play

we sat down and almost instantly i could hear people slagging off Lee, we'd been playing 5 mins and this continued throughout.

It was my wifes first ever match, she loved it, But she couldn't understand what she could only describe as hate towards a player .

Not much i could do but say neither do i love

I have been a critic of LJ in recent times though I think he has been a great servant to this club.

I would not have picked him last night or probably even have had him on the bench.

BUT ...... BUT

I thought he played really well last night and he was my man of the match.

The manager took a brave decision that could have backfired on him so badly and it paid off.

That's the Gary Johnson we all remember and believe in!

LJ obviously has to start on Sunday if fit on the back of that performance!

Since I posted this this morning I have been reflecting not just on the courage of Gary in selecting Lee last night, but also on the position of LJ himself.

LJ must be more aware than anyone what some supporters think and feel about him

BUT he still went out there and took on the responsibility and played well.

Huge credit to the man is what I say - guts and bottle are just what we need at the moment and he showed plenty of both last night!

I am not a boo boy in the ground anyway but I really hope everyone will cut LJ the slack I think he truly deserves after last nights performance.

I'm as big a critic of Lee Johnson as there is BUT, at times in the second half his contribution was key and played some lovely through passes, one in paticular to Sproule who in turn cut the ball back to Clarkson for the 2nd of his chances was as good as it gets at this level.

Fair play, as the previous poster said takes bottle and I appluad him for that. One point though he showed last night running towards goal he is not that shabby add that to his tracking back and he will start to win a few people round.

I'm as big a critic of Lee Johnson as there is BUT, at times in the second half his contribution was key and played some lovely through passes, one in paticular to Sproule who in turn cut the ball back to Clarkson for the 2nd of his chances was as good as it gets at this level.

Fair play, as the previous poster said takes bottle and I appluad him for that. One point though he showed last night running towards goal he is not that shabby add that to his tracking back and he will start to win a few people round.

Agreed. Problem is he is rarely that good.

I've noticed over the last few games LJ has played that occasionally he drifts off to the right and he looks dangerous when cutting inside and running at the defence from a right wing position. He supplied a couple of good crosses last night (and we dont have too many players who can do that). I would play him there before Sproule, leave Haynes as a striker, and put Hartley back in centre midfield.

Anybody else agree?

I've noticed over the last few games LJ has played that occasionally he drifts off to the right and he looks dangerous when cutting inside and running at the defence from a right wing position. He supplied a couple of good crosses last night (and we dont have too many players who can do that). I would play him there before Sproule, leave Haynes as a striker, and put Hartley back in centre midfield.

Anybody else agree?

I wouldn't play hime instead of Sproule, if can continue to thread the ball through to Sproule that would be more of an Asset. We have got to play a system that realeases Sproule.

He could be the key link that gives the team a winning mentality. It might be a bit too simplistic but he was a regular in the promotion side, a regular when we got to the play-offs and a regular when we were in touch for the play-offs this season. I'm not one for too much emphasis on stats but, that said, he is always high if not top of the list for assists and one complaint has been that it's not the strikers fault for the lack of goals because they haven't had chances supplied. We've slipped since he hasn't been playing and I think he does give the team strength of character and a positive, winning mind-set but the midfield has to have the right balance to get the best from him.

[/quo

Correction, he wasnt a key player in our play off season. Our midfield for the final part of the season that got our play off challenge back on track was...Mcindoe , Elliott, Carle, Noble!!

Correction, he wasnt a key player in our play off season. Our midfield for the final part of the season that got our play off challenge back on track was...Mcindoe , Elliott, Carle, Noble!!

Come on, that's simply not true. "Back on track" meaning the final part of that season where we limped over the finishing line in abysmal form, winning two out of the last 9 games during which Johnson was injured / recovering? Compared with 5 wins in the 9 beforehand?

A lot of LJ bashing on here is aggressive but to start re-writing history is frankly surreal.

you having a laugh? we were top until LJ got injured.... and thats a fact.

Its not surreal mate, Some of the best football we played in the playoff season was with Noble in the midfield with Elliott as box to box midfielder. The reason why we went on such a bad run was cause GJ got to cautious, It all started at st marys where we were awful and lost 2-0, Johnson was in the midfield that day with skuse and elliott ( sound Familier ) noble wasnt even on the bench and carle was sub. I remember at half time of the stoke (away game) GJ brough on Trundle and Noble and we were a completely different side and won the second half 1-0. All im saying is that we need more in the middle, weve got Skuse Elliott and Hartley who can do LJ's job alot better that he can, Im not a LJ basher and couldnt care less if hes the gaffers son.

If were gonna be serious next season in getting to the playoffs or top two then we need to bring in some quality and that would mean replacing LJ!!

Archived