IGNORED

Can Anyone Help A Fellow City Fan?

bridgwaterEd

Hi,

I'm Ed, I have supported city all my life, first game my dad took me to I was aged five. Now 22 I'm studying journalism at U.W.E and still following city,like most of you good times and bad.

As most of you know, 'some' of the coverage of B.C.F.C leaves a lot to be desired, particularly with regards to the views of the fans. At the moment I am looking for new angles to write about that have perhaps been side-lined by the press, with emphasis on the stadium move.

To cut a long story short, most coverage about the stadium re-location has been in favour of the the change (a perspective I would probably have to agree with if I were to be truthfully honest).

However I'd like to spare a thought for the fans that feel they don't want the new stadium. I'm not looking for a rants about how bad the whole concept is, as that would end up a very negative story. But any thoughts about why Ashton Gate is special to you and why you couldn't live with out it? Any particularly good memory's that relate to Ashton Gate would be great.

If anyone has a spare few mins I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for your time...

City t'il I Die

Hi,

I'm Ed, I have supported city all my life, first game my dad took me to I was aged five. Now 22 I'm studying journalism at U.W.E and still following city,like most of you good times and bad.

As most of you know, 'some' of the coverage of B.C.F.C leaves a lot to be desired, particularly with regards to the views of the fans. At the moment I am looking for new angles to write about that have perhaps been side-lined by the press, with emphasis on the stadium move.

To cut a long story short, most coverage about the stadium re-location has been in favour of the the change (a perspective I would probably have to agree with if I were to be truthfully honest).

However I'd like to spare a thought for the fans that feel they don't want the new stadium. I'm not looking for a rants about how bad the whole concept is, as that would end up a very negative story. But any thoughts about why Ashton Gate is special to you and why you couldn't live with out it? Any particularly good memory's that relate to Ashton Gate would be great.

If anyone has a spare few mins I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for your time...

City t'il I Die

you need to spend more time proof reading what you write, if you want to be a journalist.

To me AshtonGate is home from going with my now deceased dad from the age of 12 parking up under the Cumberland Basin walking across the park both me and my brothers wearing our scarves ,team shirts weren't really in back then wondering how many Big John Galley would score ???. Who Dickie Rooks would flatten ,Gordon Parr's crunching tackles Mike Gibson in goal as good a keeper as any we have had .Seeing the flood lights towering above the trees always gave me that buzz like seeing the New Dolman Stand finished,then into the ground past the open end and old Grand Stand towards Citys own Kop THE EAST END the noise from there in those days in through the old turnstyles and over to the tea block for a cuppa and some sweets get my programme for a shilling or 5 new pence as it was printed with both price's .The smell of Horse dung and the toilets that were round the back of the East End no airs and prawn sandwich in those days ,then up the side slope into the seething mass of scarves ,flags and CITY,CITY,CITY CITY ,East End Aggro hello hello ,Keep off the East End ,AS i walked down Stapleton Road ect . If it was rainning watching the guttering overflow and the rain pouring through the roof but no one seemed to care much ,then just before kick off even City fans would sing you i'll never walk alone knocks the crap out of always believe then my favourite bit endless streams of bog-rolls and noise as the teams ran out clap,clap ,clap, clap, clap, clap ,clap ,clap CITY BOOMING OUT the crowd swaying and surging up and down the terracing fags being smoked and the odd beer bottle being swigged from.Then a human explosion as Galley smacked the ball in didn't have a clue where you went ended up leaping around like a nutter falling over as the crowd surged forward under and over crash barriers.Then half time waiting for the scores to go up on the A,B,C board which you had to check against the programme to see who was playing who ,quick dash to the by now overflowing trough of the toilets actually just a black painted wall then back for the 2nd half depending on how the game went you watched and sang along but in some way it had more passion and meaning then. Then game over use to wait till it was nearly empty pass the time by flipping over the crash barrier head first ,then walk back to the car passing comments on how and what had happened in the game singing "Galley,Galley,Galley,Galley he is the king of the West country ". dancing6.gif

To me AshtonGate is home from going with my now deceased dad from the age of 12 parking up under the Cumberland Basin walking across the park both me and my brothers wearing our scarves ,team shirts weren't really in back then wondering how many Big John Galley would score ???. Who Dickie Rooks would flatten ,Gordon Parr's crunching tackles Mike Gibson in goal as good a keeper as any we have had .Seeing the flood lights towering above the trees always gave me that buzz like seeing the New Dolman Stand finished,then into the ground past the open end and old Grand Stand towards Citys own Kop THE EAST END the noise from there in those days in through the old turnstyles and over to the tea block for a cuppa and some sweets get my programme for a shilling or 5 new pence as it was printed with both price's .The smell of Horse dung and the toilets that were round the back of the East End no airs and prawn sandwich in those days ,then up the side slope into the seething mass of scarves ,flags and CITY,CITY,CITY CITY ,East End Aggro hello hello ,Keep off the East End ,AS i walked down Stapleton Road ect . If it was rainning watching the guttering overflow and the rain pouring through the roof but no one seemed to care much ,then just before kick off even City fans would sing you i'll never walk alone knocks the crap out of always believe then my favourite bit endless streams of bog-rolls and noise as the teams ran out clap,clap ,clap, clap, clap, clap ,clap ,clap CITY BOOMING OUT the crowd swaying and surging up and down the terracing fags being smoked and the odd beer bottle being swigged from.Then a human explosion as Galley smacked the ball in didn't have a clue where you went ended up leaping around like a nutter falling over as the crowd surged forward under and over crash barriers.Then half time waiting for the scores to go up on the A,B,C board which you had to check against the programme to see who was playing who ,quick dash to the by now overflowing trough of the toilets actually just a black painted wall then back for the 2nd half depending on how the game went you watched and sang along but in some way it had more passion and meaning then. Then game over use to wait till it was nearly empty pass the time by flipping over the crash barrier head first ,then walk back to the car passing comments on how and what had happened in the game singing "Galley,Galley,Galley,Galley he is the king of the West country ". dancing6.gif

Wow a fantastic response! Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Clearly you have a very strong bond with the Gate and many happy memories so many thanks for sharing them.

If any one else has been inspired by this response or feels strongly about about the move, please add to this thread or message me at ed_mander@hotmail.com.

Many thanks again

Ed Mander

Great days they were indeed; we used to get the coach from across town it made a few pick ups on route and then parked right behind the East End. No Dolman stand back then but great players who were hero worshiped and many became legends; Galley, Gibson, Gow :w00t: Garland, Merrick, Sharpe, Fear, Kellard many more to be listed and never forgotten.

Was it because of the "sky" influence or the internet but money and football "business`s" didnt seem to matter back then.

Dr Martins, Ben Sherman shirts, Levi`s etc were the order of the day not forgetting the "butchers coats" for a few emblazened with "East End Boys" etc.

I actually went in the Dolman for the first 2 years it was opened sitting right on the halfway line but the Eastend drew me back again after that. Did go in all the other areas for short excursions including sitting on the old benches around the inside of the ground but for me there was only one place to be.

Rediculous transfer fees and huge debts now seem to be the norm, with many teams full of imported talent who have little or nothing to do with the area they are representing;

Enormous bowl type stadiums seem also to be the norm now many with expanses of empty seats, the way to go :ermm: apparrently so. :(

some thoughts from my early years

I started going in 1987 when my late Grandad finally persuaded me to go with him, he originated from London were he was brought up as a happy hammer, we use to go with our next door neighbour and his son in law, I was 15.

I remember we use to park under the Cumberland basin and walk across the park to the ground, the usual routine would involve popping in to the club shop which was a portacabin, then standing around chatting outside the Williams where we would see players present and passed (e.g John Ayteo) come and go.

We use to stand in the open end just as the terracing turned the corner, half way down and against a barrier, it was our spot. I remember standing in the torrential rain and Gail force winds, watching Walshy do his shuffle every Saturday, seeing the three old boys from Hanham hall standing down the bottom next to the railings, every other Saturday they would attend Rovers games as well!

I remember standing in the rain with 28,000 other City fans for the League cup semi against forest, so near yet so far, I remember standing on newspaper to keep my feet warm in the winter, I remember Jaws first appearance in a City shirt.

I remember telling my Grandad which way we were kicking after he got cataracts, and listening to him saying the same things every week about Robbie Turner being a fraud.

I remember the police horses under the Dolman every game, and the Firemen who use to pop over to watch the 2nd half.

good times

Wow a fantastic response! Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Clearly you have a very strong bond with the Gate and many happy memories so many thanks for sharing them.

If any one else has been inspired by this response or feels strongly about about the move, please add to this thread or message me at ed_mander@hotmail.com.

Many thanks again

Ed Mander

Cheers Ed glad to have been helpful to you it hasn't always been great over the years for every Portsmouth / Doncaster promotion party there has been the dissapointment of losing to Forest in the league cup semi final,Walsall at home in the play offs bloody David Kelly ,then beating Hereford utd to reach Wembley in the Freight Rover and of course Palace in the play -offs .Watching Norwich city beat us to end our day's in the old first division then again we did the double over Arsenal .

Bought a lump to my throat that. I miss football days like this so much.

As a young lad growing up on Exmoor in the 70s, getting to City games wasn't easy, I had to be content watching Minehead, who at the time were one of the best non-league teams in the country.

So it was such an occasion when I got to see them, I would dream about it for days leading up to it. I would be dropped off about mid day an spend the next 2 hours wandering around the streets of AG seeing how many different views of the stadium I could get, hardly able to contain my excitement. 

I remember one visit hanging on for dear life to my beloved scarf as some Leeds thugs tried to take it until some City fans, heroes, chased them off.

To me AG was my temple and nowhere I have been in the world since has come close to that feeling of worship I had for the place, it will be a tear jerking day when it "rightly" gets pulled down.

I wonder if there are any youngsters today who feel quite the same, I suppose with the internet, google earth, better transport links, I don't suppose there is.

I will have to buy a piece of the stadium, maybe a seat, after it's hosted it's last match.

As a young lad growing up on Exmoor in the 70s, getting to City games wasn't easy, I had to be content watching Minehead, who at the time were one of the best non-league teams in the country.

So it was such an occasion when I got to see them, I would dream about it for days leading up to it. I would be dropped off about mid day an spend the next 2 hours wandering around the streets of AG seeing how many different views of the stadium I could get, hardly able to contain my excitement.

I remember one visit hanging on for dear life to my beloved scarf as some Leeds thugs tried to take it until some City fans, heroes, chased them off.

To me AG was my temple and nowhere I have been in the world since has come close to that feeling of worship I had for the place, it will be a tear jerking day when it "rightly" gets pulled down.

I wonder if there are any youngsters today who feel quite the same, I suppose with the internet, google earth, better transport links, I don't suppose there is.

I will have to buy a piece of the stadium, maybe a seat, after it's hosted it's last match.

Minehead are not so good these days....

Hi,

To all those who responded to my my questions namely: Groove Park city, glos old boy, spudski, ralphinfrance, wilitonred, esmond millions bung. First I would like to say many thanks for your help, your replies have been brilliant!

But if I could ask one last favour, that you could possibly drop me an e-mail (or post on here if thats easier) simply stating:

your name

what you do for a living

point of contact (e-mail addy or tel)

I will then be able to put your comments into context in my article. I could even waste a few more minutes of your time by sending you a copy of the finished piece to read (but that optional haha!)

Thanks ever so much

Ed - ed_mander@hotmail.com

p.s just so you know I will not be passing any of this information on to any other party.

Archived