IGNORED

I Think We Need A Good Keeper

nellie

i am over it and so far everything ive seen of gerkin has made me think he is a barrel of crap i hear he has good games but every time ive seen him he look awful and i cant get to alot of games as i work saturday but the games ive seen im not impressed

i am over it and so far everything ive seen of gerkin has made me think he is a barrel of crap i hear he has good games but every time ive seen him he look awful and i cant get to alot of games as i work saturday but the games ive seen im not impressed

I'd say you're too opinionated for someone who doesn't see many games.

And you're wrong.

I'd say you're too opinionated for someone who doesn't see many games.

And you're wrong.

I've seen most of the games and I don't think he is as good as some make out. In fact, I think he is a pretty average keeper. Then again, we have been spoilt with having Basso in goal for the most of the last 3 years.tumbleweed.gif

If you travelled to Newcastle and Ipswich this season you will understand why he gets so much praise on here. He is still a young keeper who can develop as a player in years to come. It's such a shame he has a shambles of a defence to work with, I really feel sorry for the bloke. He has won us at least 6 or 7 points this season so without him we could be in the drop zone. You could have the best keeper in the world, but if he had been in goal for us today it probably would have been the same scoreline.

DG's kicking is poor.... piss poor for a keeper at championship level. Until that improves our defenders have no option to pass a ball backwards for a long boot up field. They have no confidence in the keeper and so are forced to make errors.

Our current back four hardly deserve praise but I think they'd play better with a more vocal and confident number 1.

And how many goals was he at fault for today ? How many shots did he keep out last week. Did you go today? If you did you would quite clearly see a back four in such poor form with to idea what they were doing. That was before they even got anywhere near gerken

A better question is how many goals has he been at fault for this season?

Then ask it about Basso for last season.

I expect Gerken has the higher of the two answers and the season isn't over yet!

We could do with a better goalie, not just a decent shot stopper.

is potential good enough for this season ?

I just love the fact that Johnson deems fit to blood gerken and let him devolope in the first team when not one of our youngsters get anywhere near the first team, Johnson rally makes my blood boil

Johnson has driven out 2 players that we could really really do with...arguabley 3

Basso

Adebola

Mcindoe?

All because of his attitude issues and just being how awkward he is. The result? Adebola is at a club chasing automatic promotion, Basso could walk into our side, if we had another man in charge, and Mcindoe is playing for the in form team of the league at the moment

I would have preferred to have seen Hendesron replace Basso. When he stepped in for Basso last year he looked really good. As it stands now, he doesn't even figure in our plans. Bizarre!

As for Basso, definitey a better keeper than Gerkin who doesn't command his 6 yard area at all. We have seen Gerkin playing for a while now and I think that is a fair assessment. I also think it is fair to say that Basso is a more commanding keeper and the defence was better knowing Basso was behind them.

I heard yesterday that Basso has signed for a Premier League club. More than likely total tosh, but what if it is true?

Gerkin is terrible imo he is only a shot stopper. I dont think i can remember any game when he has come out and claimed a ball, his decision making is awful which doesnt help the defence, cause his kicking is poor the defence dont have an outlet so have to boot the ball upfield. Come next season i hope GJ sorts this position out.

Hmmm... didn't think his kicking was all that bad in the games I've seen.

Then again I've only been to every home game this season so ho hum what would I know?

Give the lad a chance. The same could be said for all the tossers that have written of Nyatanga and Clarkson - come on guys all three of them have huge potential but too many fans out there write players off to early. Give them time and they will deliver.

Of course Basso's a better keeper and it's a real shocking state of affairs that mismanagement has deprived us of him.

Gerken's a good shot stopper, he has decent positioning and he's brave.

He is weak in some areas - notably decisions and communication.

He drops saves too often at the moment.

However people need to remember that the defence and midfield are affording him about half the protection Basso regularly got.

On the bright side, he should be a fantastic keeper in years to come with all this practise.

Of course Basso's a better keeper and it's a real shocking state of affairs that mismanagement has deprived us of him.

Gerken's a good shot stopper, he has decent positioning and he's brave.

He is weak in some areas - notably decisions and communication.

He drops saves too often at the moment.

However people need to remember that the defence and midfield are affording him about half the protection Basso regularly got.

On the bright side, he should be a fantastic keeper in years to come with all this practise.

Not if he gets a bad back from picking the ball out of the net so many times.

Petr Cech would struggle behind that defence but the majority are right he needs to command his box more, improve his kicking this will come in time and experience remember he was bought as back up for Basso maybe Johnson should of got an experienced keeper in as soon as the Basso situation arised.

Petr Cech would struggle behind that defence but the majority are right he needs to command his box more, improve his kicking this will come in time and experience remember he was bought as back up for Basso maybe Johnson should of got an experienced keeper in as soon as the Basso situation came to light.

Archived