IGNORED

Ok Lets Be Honest Who Would Be Interested To Take Ok Gj If He Goes ?

nellie

Steve coppell said on sky earlier this week he is definatly ready to manage again.Historically reading have always been a smaller club and look what he did for them. We have a massive catchment area, an ambitious chairman, and a brand new 30.000 seater stadium on the horizon. Bristol city football club is a very attractive job for many a manager.

Gareth Southgate

Please God no! His managerial CV consists of a relegation. He was appointed at Boro purely due to his status as a player and the club paid the ultimate price for that.

Coppel would be ideal IF he would come.

seeing as we are discussing joke appointments

Mickey "Mouse" Adams

However might take a substantial compensation package to persuade Port Vale to part company with such a legend.

On a serious note Steve Coppell is my choice, such a high profile manager with lots of experience would definatly be the man to take the club forward

george burley and steve coppell could do a better job than GJ. there's two realistic options for starters. personally i feel if GJ didnt have such a big fat contract SL would of got shot after the cardiff debacle. if he keeps his job after today then it is surely obvious that his contract has made him bullet proof.

The League Manager's website used to list all clubs seeking a Manager and all Managers seeking employment. It no longer carries either list, but last time it did both Kevin Keegan and George Graham were amongst those looking for a new club. I've looked back nearly 20 years ago to the 91-92 season and City's then search for a Manager; (some things don't change). Lumsden was dismissed. Ossie Ardiles said he was interested in the job and Chairman Leslie Kew said he believed Ardiles was the ideal man for the job. Chris Nichol, a former Southampton manager then applied. Two of the directors decided not to vote for Ardiles stating that a big name did not guarantee success. Martin O'Neil and Russell Osman then applied. Due to his playing experience Osman was appointed caretaker manager and that week City picked up their first point for seven weeks with a draw against Grimsby. Aizlewood scored his first of the season, but again the opponents scored in the last ten minutes.

The following week Dennis Smith was appointed manager. He was recommended by Brian Clough of Nottingham Forest and had guided Sunderland into the first division two years previously, but had been sacked when they lost at Ashton Gate.

Go back further and Harry Dolman asked Frank O'Farrell who was Torquay Manager to take over at City. Frank refused however because he didn't like the way Fred Ford had been kicked out of AG, so Doman setteld for Alan Dicks. A year or two later o'Farrell took over at Old Trafford!

To add to your history of woe........a certian David Moyes....but no we appointed Tony Pulis......aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

To add to your history of woe........a certian David Moyes....but no we appointed Tony Pulis......aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bring back Murray as interim (I think Yeovil would agree to let up his contract) or Harteley as interim player / manager if they can work with Coppell, Hughes or Curbs as an interim consultant/ advisor til end of season. This would allow us to solidify at start of next season on a full time. Coppell, Hughes or Curbs would not be obligated unless they wanted to.

Bring back Murray as interim (I think Yeovil would agree to let up his contract) or Hartley as interim player / manager if they can work with Coppell, Hughes or Curbs as an interim consultant/ advisor til end of season. This would allow us to solidify at start of next season on a full time. Coppell, Hughes or Curbs would not be obligated unless they wanted to.

On what basis does Scott Murray have any qualifications for the job? He was a good servant for us, seems a decent sort and has coached one of the junior sides but what does any of that mean in terms of managing a team in the Championship?

As to the presumably serious other suggestion about Danny Wilson, he's a league one manager and surely our aim should be to avoid going back there?

Hughes (!) and Curbishley certainly won't ever want the City job and I'd be very surprised if Coppell did, too.

We can either gamble on a promising lower league manager, the likes of Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, or get involved in the Championship merry go round like Preston and Sheff Wed did and appoint the likes of Jim Magilton.

Very very few managers come into a club when things are going well and thus experience is normaly something you would want in spades in a situation like ours. So if GJ were to leave in the next week or so (if we dont get a decent return from the next 2/3 games I now believe that GJ will step down/be fired) Coppell would certainly be where I was looking if I were Mr. Landsdowne.

However there are alternatives with City roots that have not been mentioned...Leroy Rosenior, Joe Jordan, Keith Curle, Joe Royal and even Mr. Umbrella himself Steve McLaren...All of whom are current with their badges and are in work (of sorts), but probably not exactly where they would like to be.

I suspect of those Joe would not necessarilly want a third stint, but who knows, McLaren would want to stay out of the limelight and hang around in dutch football probably...But Joe Royal may well be interested in a temporary role to get us out of the crap and I would be amazed if Curle and Rosenior would not be intrested in taking a permanent role, with perhaps Paul Hartley taking a player coach role...

Anyway good luck to all going up the Palace....An Akinde hatrick with assists from Artus and James Wilson would do meinnocent06.gif

On what basis does Scott Murray have any qualifications for the job? He was a good servant for us, seems a decent sort and has coached one of the junior sides but what does any of that mean in terms of managing a team in the Championship?

As to the presumably serious other suggestion about Danny Wilson, he's a league one manager and surely our aim should be to avoid going back there?

Hughes (!) and Curbishley certainly won't ever want the City job and I'd be very surprised if Coppell did, too.

We can either gamble on a promising lower league manager, the likes of Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, or get involved in the Championship merry go round like Preston and Sheff Wed did and appoint the likes of Jim Magilton.

I didn't say Murray would have the job. he is a motivator and a good person to have in the dressing room. I didn't say either Hughes, coppell or Curbs. Read the post

Please acquire a sense of reality.

Read the post. He would be a temporary consultant / advisor til end of season or Coppell or Curbs whichever works. If they want the job for next season which I doubt, it gives us time in the off season to find a respectable fit. To have Murray there or even Walsh provides a passion for City.

Bring back Murray as interim (I think Yeovil would agree to let up his contract) or Hartley as interim player / manager if they can work with Coppell, Hughes or Curbs as an interim consultant/ advisor til end of season. This would allow us to solidify at start of next season on a full time. Coppell, Hughes or Curbs would not be obligated unless they wanted to.

Read the post. He would be a temporary consultant / advisor til end of season or Coppell or Curbs whichever works. If they want the job for next season which I doubt, it gives us time in the off season to find a respectable fit. To have Murray there or even Walsh provides a passion for City.

How else can you read this other than by you suggesting that Hughes, Curbishley or Coppell will arrive and Murray would also return?

What sort of set up are you suggesting exactly then, one of these well known managers arrives and brings in someone they don't actually know and who has no senior coaching experience, but who is "100% Bristol City", is that it?

I slated the guy the other guy for not achieving any more than GJ has, but on yesterdays performance, the Doncaster team were a joy to watch (in a perverted kind of way).

Therefore O'Driscoll would be a good shout, along with Jim Magilton, Steve Coppell or George Burley - managers who all try to play football the correct way.

I don't mind taking a tanking every now and then so as the players are trying to play the right way and give there all for the team.

I still think that GJ should be given until the end of the season though.

Steve coppell said on sky earlier this week he is definatly ready to manage again.Historically reading have always been a smaller club and look what he did for them. We have a massive catchment area, an ambitious chairman, and a brand new 30.000 seater stadium on the horizon. Bristol city football club is a very attractive job for many a manager.

YES PLEASE !!!!

Archived