IGNORED

Just Back From Selhurst....

The Chaplain

A genuinely convincing team effort, especially defensively, much more so that against Boro or Ipswich.

We won our battles all over the pitch and, although not creating lots, thoroughly deserved the win.

Hartley added valuable cover for the back four. Johnson looked better, and more creative than Carle, and was definitely helped by playing in a 3. JCR never really got the beating of his full back but , like Maynard and Iwelumo chased and harried from the front. The defence, and Skuse in the middle, looked pretty solid throughout.

Good support as well, for the team and the manager from the off. Rewarded with a good display that would've been worthy of praise even if it had remained 0-0. Iwelumo's little bit of class and opportunism put the icing on the cake!

Palace, always a big game for me, closest ground to home and son's school full of local fans. But genuine signs of encouragement too. I reckon we'll finish upper/mid table, probably what we deserve. And with stability and support from top to bottom, we've got the best chance of pushing forward from there. Happy days

Just reading the BBC report which states -

"The striker, on loan from Wolves, struck a stunning volley on the turn from inside the area 17 minutes from time to settle a dour encounter."

From what you've already said, perhaps that isn't a fair description of the overall game?

A genuinely convincing team effort, especially defensively, much more so that against Boro or Ipswich.

We won our battles all over the pitch and, although not creating lots, thoroughly deserved the win.

Hartley added valuable cover for the back four. Johnson looked better, and more creative than Carle, and was definitely helped by playing in a 3. JCR never really got the beating of his full back but , like Maynard and Iwelumo chased and harried from the front. The defence, and Skuse in the middle, looked pretty solid throughout.

Good support as well, for the team and the manager from the off. Rewarded with a good display that would've been worthy of praise even if it had remained 0-0. Iwelumo's little bit of class and opportunism put the icing on the cake!

Palace, always a big game for me, closest ground to home and son's school full of local fans. But genuine signs of encouragement too. I reckon we'll finish upper/mid table, probably what we deserve. And with stability and support from top to bottom, we've got the best chance of pushing forward from there. Happy days

I would aggree with that I thought defensive back line were strong in what at times was a wrestling match especially with Alan Lee. Although we created nothing in the first half I never felt palace would score. Orr should be singled out for the amount of work he got through but the whole team gave a determined performance. The goal was a peach would like to see it again, it is alway a pleasure beating palace as I live in the Borough of Croydon and know shed loads of palace fans. I will take great pleasure in gloating in silence without rubbing it in with text messages ect. Again great performance and who was the bloke that fontaine was hugging at the front of the stand after the match?

very optimistic spin on what i thought was a truly dire game up until half time.

now a great goal it has to be said. Atmosphere was good. Palace were awful .......we were a bit better. A tad extra confidence might see us in good boots for reading. Nice to see akinde stretch his legs for a few mins great defender for the cause!

Just got back from the game

Orr was fantastic. MoM for me

Sounds like he made a few vital interception plus getting forward a la Doncaster.

Also Skusey was going forward quite a lot and getting a few strikes in. Did LJ really take out Ambrose ?

Yeah went to the game myself, and City thoroughly deserved the win. Dont let this win cloud your judgement though, because we certainly wernt that great! We defended well, Palace never looked like scoring, but we very rarely won the "second ball". Every time the ball dropped in the midfield or up front, you would bet your house on it being a Palace player coming away with it. Also, our quality in the final third...well, no real comment. An immense goal by Iwelumo, but it was always going to take something like that for City to win the game. The amount of times a City player scuffed shots wide, or over the bar, or scuffed it into the keepers hands....was unreal. A "dour game".....great way to describe it.

On a bright side though, the lads looked like a real unit last night, and they did give everything for the cause. Chased everything down and got in Palaces faces. I thought Iwelumo, Orr and Campbell-Ryce all had excellent games.

It sends us to Reading on a high, and if we can some how manage to grab a point up there, then onwards and upwards....and safety is in sight

clapping.gif

Yeah went to the game myself, and City thoroughly deserved the win. Dont let this win cloud your judgement though, because we certainly wernt that great! We defended well, Palace never looked like scoring, but we very rarely won the "second ball". Every time the ball dropped in the midfield or up front, you would bet your house on it being a Palace player coming away with it. Also, our quality in the final third...well, no real comment. An immense goal by Iwelumo, but it was always going to take something like that for City to win the game. The amount of times a City player scuffed shots wide, or over the bar, or scuffed it into the keepers hands....was unreal. A "dour game".....great way to describe it.

On a bright side though, the lads looked like a real unit last night, and they did give everything for the cause. Chased everything down and got in Palaces faces. I thought Iwelumo, Orr and Campbell-Ryce all had excellent games.

It sends us to Reading on a high, and if we can some how manage to grab a point up there, then onwards and upwards....and safety is in sight

It was a a soild away performance. They only had one decent chance with a header that went wide. We had a few but it needed something good to win it. We should have added a 2nd on the break but nevermind.

Taking away the Doncaster result, we have been on a sort of mini-revival. Hopefully it can continue at Reading.

i found it quite funny that as we scored, the radio commentator took about 2 mins explaining what a brilliant volley it was, but in all that time never mentioned it was a goal. Me and a friend were wondering if it had actually gone in, although in the end he said it did.

A friend of mine has just had a phone call from his palarse mate who went last night. In his terms both teams were awful it was a dull game with one amazing goal which he still can't work out how he scored as his back was away from goal ( not seen goal yet) and all the city defence did was as soon as the ball was back in are half we hoofed it up into there's didn't matter where it went. So who's right gj with his " very dominating performance" or palarse fan.

A friend of mine has just had a phone call from his palarse mate who went last night. In his terms both teams were awful it was a dull game with one amazing goal which he still can't work out how he scored as his back was away from goal ( not seen goal yet) and all the city defence did was as soon as the ball was back in are half we hoofed it up into there's didn't matter where it went. So who's right gj with his " very dominating performance" or palarse fan.

they were dreadful, and we were average at best. Typical away performance. We deserved the win

I said yesterday a horrible 0-0 would do me, to get a 1-0 win with abit of class was the hope and thats what happend.

I thought last night was a very good battling performance, exactly what we need atm! Although from a neutral perspective it was a very poor game, I was pleased with our mentality, and we were clearly trying to be positive whilst not being suicidal at the back! The defence were excellent and as others have said Orr was fantastic! I thought we deserved the win, and I really am chuffed with the way we bounced back, but that doesn't overlook the fact that Palace were very poor. Hopefully we can pick up a couple more points from the next 2 away games, and then try and build from there, it'd be nice to string together an unbeaten run of 4 or 5 matches. Onwards and upwards!

This is my first post on OTIB.

Having gone to the palace game last night I was very pleased with an improved performance. It appeared to have 0-0 written all over the game, but thanks to a wonderful goal we got the points. The team fought hard and the second half was very promising. We also limited Palace to very few chances which given Saturday's perfromance was very encouraging.

The whole team did well. Best performers in my opinion were Orr, Johnson and Iwelumo. Akinde was great when he came on and chased all over the pitch, though getting booked after about 6 seconds was a little comical!

I think we would have seen a more determined Palace side had Colin still been there and a very different game. As it was, we were able to assert ourselves early on without having to face the inevitable onslaught that would have been driven with the words "get one back on those cheating ba......" ringing in the Palace players' ears.:rolleyes:

Poor game for a neutral, great last 15 mins for City fans.

Akinde (What's his name?)

Agree with most of the others who went last night.

City looked a very solid unit and defended well. We never really looked like conceding. We didn't create any clear cut chances ourselves, though had a fair few half chances. The goal wasn't even a half chance though, that's how good the finish was.

Palace were sh1te. I was expecting much better from them. We looked up for every challenge, which they certainly didn't. I can see them going down after that, whereas before I thought they'd have too much quality.

On a more general point about the game, most people have said it was poor. I guess from a neutral point of view, it probably was, though given I wasn't exactly expecting a classic with slick passing football, I wasn't too disappointed. I've seen all of our games v Palace since promotion (I live a few miles away from Selhurst) and this wasn't much worse than any of the others. Yes, we played a fair few long aimless balls, but also some decent long passes straight into Iwelumo, who controlled them well, for the most part. We also played some short stuff at times, so mixed it up.

What made the game great though for me was the atmosphere. Non-stop loud support throughout the game. I guess the players had a role in this, as their 100% commitment made sure everyone got behind them. Was a million miles better than my previous away game at Watford (the atmosphere and performance). To be fair, the Palace fans got well behind their team too, even though their players didn't give them much to go on.

Akinde was great when he came on and chased all over the pitch, though getting booked after about 6 seconds was a little comical!

I'd put it down to youthful excuberance! He is a bit clumbsy in the tackle but the booking was harsh and not helped by that evil little tosser Derry getting in the ref's face, demanding a card be shown.

I know, what was all that about?!

"That's the way we like it, like it, like it!" - I'm not sure if I've ever heard a more pathetic chant!

Was that the one where it eneded with "the palace the palace the palace " it was a rubbish chant but they sung it so much I cant getting it out of my head now

Was that the one where it eneded with "the palace the palace the palace " it was a rubbish chant but they sung it so much I cant getting it out of my head now

Me too, was humming it all last night - bloody annoying!

Should have been

"We've only got one, one song, one song, but we really like it, like it, like it"

Archived