IGNORED

Akinde

southvillekiddy

Big John came on and terrorised them in a spirited cameo appearance. Lifted the team and the fans to enable us to protect our slender lead.

Was quick enough, determined enough and skillfull enough to get the ball off them when they were trying to get out of their half.

Perfect sub for Iwelumo.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. (Maybe he listens sometimes)

AKINDE what's his name

AKINDE WHAT'S HIS NAME

Great spontaneously composed chant from the fans.

Big John came on and terrorised them in a spirited cameo appearance. Lifted the team and the fans to enable us to protect our slender lead.

Was quick enough, determined enough and skillfull enough to get the ball off them when they were trying to get out of their half.

Perfect sub for Iwelumo.

AKINDE what's his name

AKINDE WHAT'S HIS NAME

Yeah I was very pleased to see the big man come on and like you said did a very good job for the 10 minutes or so he was on there. Amusing chant as well, hopefully Gary will take note!

Yeah I was very pleased to see the big man come on and like you said did a very good job for the 10 minutes or so he was on there. Amusing chant as well, hopefully Gary will take note!

Agree mate.

Elsewhere he was criticised for being reckless. I'd call it having a proper go for his team, putting his foot in as a true CITY PLAYER

Agree mate.

Elsewhere he was criticised for being reckless. I'd call it having a proper go for his team, putting his foot in as a true CITY PLAYER

John got properly stuck in and defended well, especially in his own half at a time we most needed it.

He will be a real asset on the bench and if Iwelumo doesn't stay, I would start him. :yes:

Akinde (what's his name?)

John got properly stuck in and defended well, especially in his own half at a time we most needed it.

He will be a real asset on the bench and if Iwelumo doesn't stay, I would start him. yes.gif

This was what pleased me a lot, he got stuck in and was a keen runner, exactly what we needed for those last 10 minutes! Maybe having someone like that tearing around for the latter periods of the game will help our late goal situation, although HOPEFULLY, we've knocked that on the head.

Did not see the game - only listened on radio.

Sounded like Akinde's booking was soft, but Lee's elbow on Nyatanga which obviously drew blood was not punished.

From those that went, was it as bad as it seemed?

Couldn't see properly but when Nyantanga complained Lee shoved him in he chest well after and should have been carded for that

Perfect sub for Iwelumo.

AKINDE what's his name

AKINDE WHAT'S HIS NAME

John Akinde has always looked to be a gifted and difficult to defend against forward. Why the hell hasn't he been played more often this season ???!!!!

Did not see the game - only listened on radio.

Sounded like Akinde's booking was soft, but Lee's elbow on Nyatanga which obviously drew blood was not punished.

From those that went, was it as bad as it seemed?

just seen the highlights, definite elbow in Nyatanga's face by Lee. Where's the technology????????????????

Been a fan since I saw first him come on against Plymouth. Shocked and surprised that he hasn't started games. Given this year's performances, it was ideal to start him. Too much faith placed in Nicky Maynard although at the moment I think that faith is waning.

I feel sure that we will see Akinde play alot of games next year. I only hope he figures for the rest of this season AND if Iwelumo stays for another month, why can't Akinde start alongside him?

John Akinde has always looked to be a gifted and difficult to defend against forward. Why the hell hasn't he been played more often this season ???!!!!

I like Akinde's attitude and strong running. With more playing time he'll get better and better but Johnson would say that he's still too raw and inexperienced.

How does any player get experience if he's not playing much. Hopefully when City are safe and out of reach of the play offs Johnson will play some of the fringe youngsters - although he didn't do that last season.

I like Akinde's attitude and strong running. With more playing time he'll get better and better but Johnson would say that he's still too raw and inexperienced.

How does any player get experience if he's not playing much. Hopefully when City are safe and out of reach of the play offs Johnson will play some of the fringe youngsters - although he didn't do that last season.

He gets experience from going out on loan where he didn't really set it alight at Brentford. He has looked raw in the championship, so i can't see why people think he is the answer at the mo. I agree that if we are in mid table with no chance of playoffs/ relegation then it wouldn't hurt to play the likes of him, Rebeiro and Wilson.

He gets experience from going out on loan where he didn't really set it alight at Brentford. He has looked raw in the championship, so i can't see why people think he is the answer at the mo. I agree that if we are in mid table with no chance of playoffs/ relegation then it wouldn't hurt to play the likes of him, Rebeiro and Wilson.

Okay mate. But on the basis of what you have seen would you rather we played Agyemang or Akinde if Iwelumo goes back to Wolves?

Okay mate. But on the basis of what you have seen would you rather we played Agyemang or Akinde if Iwelumo goes back to Wolves?

AS a lone striker ...neither but that is a tough one as you need experiance to play as a lone striker so GJ will always go for Agyemang. Akinde will do a job as an impact sub with his pace but he is not the answer to replace Iwelumu full time yet.

Sometimes its very difficult to step down a level and perform. If Akinde is a very good player, and he has coped at Championship level when used, the style of football may simply not suit his game in League 2. Also, he will be playing with poorer players which certainly will not bring out the best in him and give him the goalscoring opportunties he is looking for. I think he IS a championship player.

I know it's a stupid analogy, but Fernando Torres is a much better player in the Premier League than he would be in League 1 with poorer players to play with, physically and mentally, a totally different style and pace of football and different pitches to go. He just wouldn't shine like he does in the Premier League

Akinde needs to play Championship football and he is ready now in my opinion

Sometimes its very difficult to step down a level and perform. If Akinde is a very good player, and he has coped at Championship level when used, the style of football may simply not suit his game in League 2. Also, he will be playing with poorer players which certainly will not bring out the best in him and give him the goalscoring opportunties he is looking for. I think he IS a championship player.

I know it's a stupid analogy, but Fernando Torres is a much better player in the Premier League than he would be in League 1 with poorer players to play with, physically and mentally, a totally different style and pace of football and different pitches to go. He just wouldn't shine like he does in the Premier League

Akinde needs to play Championship football and he is ready now in my opinion

Its not a stupid analogy, its a great point. We should develop Akinde not de-skill him in a lower league.

if instead you play agyemang and he plays like he did at watford we will be laughed at, go backwards from what we achieved at palace and have very little chance of a result due to lack of goals from our attackers. whatever he did or didn't do at qpr, Agyemang is now a spent force, a panic loan signing.

Nothing raw about the way he took his goal against the rovers mate

For anyone who went to the Reading game, how did John Akinde do when he came on for the second half?

He never won a header,kept getting knocked off the ball, and i personally thought he looked awful, I think he will never be Championship standard,

For anyone who went to the Reading game, how did John Akinde do when he came on for the second half?

No worse than anyone else...and better than some. But if he'd been playing for any other team and I had no hope that he'd improve I'd have said that he looked like a willing lad who'd be great in the lower leagues...not great in the air against experienced defenders and nothing special on the ball. Now of course like everyone on here I hope he'll learn buckets under our great coaching staff and become a world beater...

noexpression.gif

...but after looking at what's happened to Nicky Maynard - a player of far greater natural talent - I somewhat doubt it.

The messiah he ain't. But good luck to him. His honest "run until you drop" style will suit the Gate faithful who like a try-er...and he'll get the odd goal.

He still looks like a Conference player, and has not developed at all since joining us. Mind you, with the service on offer, he was up against it yesterday. Perhaps if our management had shown more faith in him after the initial few games where he looked raw, but promising, it might have helped. If GJ stays, I think he would do better moving down a division, so that he can get a run of games, some confidence and some decent coaching. To be honest, I would advise any youngster at City to do the same, as they don't have a hope of getting any decent experience at City under the current regime.

Apparently hasn't learnt yet that jumping can be a useful tactic when trying to win a header and has a consistantly bad first touch.

Is Ageymang helping with the coaching?whistle.gif

Archived