IGNORED

Do We Actually Think He'll Go?

Ryan 7

I know the huge majority of City fans want GJ out, but the question is, will SL actually sack him now, at the end of the season or will he stick with him.

I am of the opinion he needs to go as soon as we reach safety, so we can then start planning for next season, but I have a really bad feeling he'll stick with GJ.

I know the huge majority of City fans want GJ out, but the question is, will SL actually sack him now, at the end of the season or will he stick with him.

I am of the opinion he needs to go as soon as we reach safety, so we can then start planning for next season, but I have a really bad feeling he'll stick with GJ.

I think it depends on the last ten games. If we win 3, draw 4, lose 3 or something to that effect, I think he will stay. If we continue our awful form of late (4 wins in 22, 1 goal in 9 away) and we only win a couple and lose a few more, then I think SL's hand might be forced.

But I do agree with your sentiment; i too am very worried that he will keep his job despite all that has gone wrong.

I personally now believe he will not go. Not even in the summer. I feel we will see alot of movement about this summer and alot of players will be shipped out. And a fresh start come August.

In which division? :whistle2:

Guest bigcheese

I know the manager has to ultimately carry the can but how much of the success on the pitch is down to the players and how much the management staff?

I will be very worried if he stays. Fair enough he might change most of the squad but what worries me is that GJ has a major problem handling players, especially players with 'character'. GJ does a good job lower down at getting the best out of average players but in this league you need a few players with that something extra, players with a bit of an ego and a bit of flair. GJ seems to have a hard time with these sorts of players so if he stays then I'd expect a similar season as this next year, maybe worse.

I will be very worried if he stays. Fair enough he might change most of the squad but what worries me is that GJ has a major problem handling players, especially players with 'character'. GJ does a good job lower down at getting the best out of average players but in this league you need a few players with that something extra, players with a bit of an ego and a bit of flair. GJ seems to have a hard time with these sorts of players so if he stays then I'd expect a similar season as this next year, maybe worse.

Which players exactly are you referring to & if your premise is correct why would he sign them in the first place ?

I think he'll have until the end of the season to keep us up and persuade SL that he's got a plan to move the club forward. If I was GJ I'd say:

- we've been unlucky with injuries

- we're good on our day but inconsistent - we can sort the inconsistency

- we don't have enough real quality - let me recruit some in the summer

- don't rock the boat, the new stadium is on the horizon, what we need is stability

And if I was his boss I'd need a pretty good alternative up my sleeve to say goodbye to GJ and pay off that contract. My hunch is that he'll be leading us into preseason and the start of 2010/11.

I think he'll have until the end of the season to keep us up and persuade SL that he's got a plan to move the club forward. If I was GJ I'd say:

- we've been unlucky with injuries

- we're good on our day but inconsistent - we can sort the inconsistency

- we don't have enough real quality - let me recruit some in the summer

- don't rock the boat, the new stadium is on the horizon, what we need is stability

And if I was his boss I'd need a pretty good alternative up my sleeve to say goodbye to GJ and pay off that contract. My hunch is that he'll be leading us into preseason and the start of 2010/11.

I think thats a fair summary.

I can't see Johnson walking away which means SL would have to sack him. If I were Steve Lansdown I wouldn't rely on the Johnson's excuses. Lots of clubs have inury problems. Nor would I have any faith in the brothers bringing in 'quality' players over summer. Their track record is absymal.

Hopefully SL has the feelers out already.

I think thats a fair summary.

I can't see Johnson walking away which means SL would have to sack him. If I were Steve Lansdown I wouldn't rely on the Johnson's excuses. Lots of clubs have inury problems. Nor would I have any faith in the brothers bringing in 'quality' players over summer. Their track record is absymal.

Hopefully SL has the feelers out already.

I'd have had a quiet drink with Paul Tisdale some time ago...maybe to congratulate him on his success when Exeter went up, wishing him all the best for what would be a difficult season...he'd be on the Christmas card list. I'd have someone have a discreet chat to Eddie Howe...and I'd be interested in knowing whether Terry Connor fancied stepping up to be the boss...

Unless there is enough discontent shown I believe GJ will be here till xmas at least :w00t: far from anything happening close season he will be given even more time to prove he really dosent know what hes doing and will re-arrange things :doh: yet again,

Wether that means going back to his failed straight down the middle, no wingers,no targetman speed wins idea or I`ll bring in as many loan players as I can ignoring the young guns idea. :disapointed2se:

My opinion is he should of been gone before xmas 09/10 giving a new man Jan to make adjustments and kick on with new, life, and new thinking.

That window is gone now even 3 defeats in a row wouldnt bring his sacking i.m.o. we are into March we have to play a team fighting for their lives next then one striving for the prem and add in the likes of Forest etc.

SL has it seems still belief in GJ, (unlike an ever increasing number of fans who dont;) hope hes right; relegation is a possibility but that would mean a disasterous run of results.

So, no hope he goes but dont think he will.,.,.yet,.,.,., unless,.,., (back to line 1) :city:

It's not just a clear out of players in the summer that is needed - IF GJ is to stay he also needs to shake up his staff too.

Millen hasn't visibily improved the defence this season.

PJ hasn't delivered the goods through the scouting system.

Some tough decisions all round come May

Isn't GJ on a long term contract (has about 4 years on his deal)?

If so SL isn't going to sack him it would cost him BIG TIME.

So NO, GJ won't get the sack unless we're in the relegation zone and it wasn't looking any good for us at all.

We're 7 points off play-offs and relegation, I think GJ and SL are ignoring the minority that think we should change managers. Funny thing really isn't it, that the people who almost have a hate passion against our manager seem to think that our club should be almost perfect! A far cry I'm sure from the perfection these people have in themselves.

If you look around the league much the same is going on and we have to accept no manager change unless we fall into the relegation zone.

/quote]

Huge majority??

How do you come to that conclusion?

A few mumbles on here and other boards do not represent the entire Bristol City FC fanbase.

There's been little audible 'Johnson out' chanting, no banners, no caricatures of Johnson being burned, no mass protests outside the club and next to no media speculation that Gary's position is under threat.

For the record, I think it's time for change, but to say the huge majority of city fans want this, is a little sensational.

I'd have had a quiet drink with Paul Tisdale some time ago...maybe to congratulate him on his success when Exeter went up, wishing him all the best for what would be a difficult season...he'd be on the Christmas card list. I'd have someone have a discreet chat to Eddie Howe...and I'd be interested in knowing whether Terry Connor fancied stepping up to be the boss...

Remind me how much success he's had as a manager? He's completely unknown quantity (in the John Ward ilk)

- we've been unlucky with injuries - True

- we're good on our day but inconsistent - we can sort the inconsistency - I think GJ has shown he can't.

- we don't have enough real quality - let me recruit some in the summer - I think GJ has shown he can't.

- don't rock the boat, the new stadium is on the horizon, what we need is stability - I think things have become too unstable for GJ to steady the ship

I don't think SL will sack GJ now (I think he should have gone before the January transfer window). Hopefully we'll get the necessary points sooner rather than later and GJ will be shown the door then or at the end of the season.

I personally now believe he will not go. Not even in the summer. I feel we will see alot of movement about this summer and alot of players will be shipped out. And a fresh start come August.

But Johnsons record in the transfer market has been very poor, I struggle to think of one player that he has brought in and you watch and think WOW! And Maynard for £2.25, sorry I expected more than just the old bit of promise.

One thing is for sure - he will not resign. Therefore it's down to Lansdown to decide whether it would be in the best interest of the club if he stayed, by looking at revenue with regard to tickets sales and the continuing performance of the team. If Johnson is driving fans away, he'll be forced to act.

I'm not renewing my ST while Johnson's regime is in place, and there are others who feel the same.

Remind me how much success he's had as a manager? He's completely unknown quantity (in the John Ward ilk)

he's had none whatsoever - obviously a long shot but knows the club, the Prem and what it takes to get out of this division...if I was running Bristol City I'd want to have a wide network of potential successors because it would be a massive and costly challenge to appoint any manager who's already had success at a higher level than we are playing at...

One thing is for sure - he will not resign. Therefore it's down to Lansdown to decide whether it would be in the best interest of the club if he stayed, by looking at revenue with regard to tickets sales and the continuing performance of the team. If Johnson is driving fans away, he'll be forced to act.

I'm not renewing my ST while Johnson's regime is in place, and there are others who feel the same.

Think about the money side of things. Otherwise Benitez would of been sacked yonks ago.

GJ is on a long term contract and we're not in a relegation scrap, or even been in the relegation zone. Why would SL do what a minority think and what he probably isn't thinking.

If SL says he's building us up, then I think it would seem we're going to put this season behind us for next year and improve the squad. Then he may look at GJ's position next season if things don't go well.

People like SL don't make millions by taking in bullshit and processing it into actions.

Think about the money side of things. Otherwise Benitez would of been sacked yonks ago.

GJ is on a long term contract and we're not in a relegation scrap, or even been in the relegation zone. Why would SL do what a minority think and what he probably isn't thinking.

If SL says he's building us up, then I think it would seem we're going to put this season behind us for next year and improve the squad. Then he may look at GJ's position next season if things don't go well.

People like SL don't make millions by taking in bullshit and processing it into actions.

It depends if we are aligned with SL and the boards 5 year plan. If we look in danger of not filling the new stadium, something will give. We are now 3 years away from BCFC needing the revenues from the additional capacity. A judgement, I suspect, is going on right now with various options of plans should we stay in this division and also if we get relegated.

I'd have had a quiet drink with Paul Tisdale some time ago...maybe to congratulate him on his success when Exeter went up, wishing him all the best for what would be a difficult season...he'd be on the Christmas card list.

Errm - Exeter are about to be relegated again despite (or because of) having a team full of our cast-offs! How many people would be happy with a manager whose most recent 'achievement' was relegation?

Having said that, Exeter have certainly over-achieved under Tisdale and are probably going back to their rightful place anyway...

As regards GJ, the best one could hope for is 'mutual consent' which allows both sides an element of dignity - however he won't go at all unless things get MUCH worse.

he's had none whatsoever - obviously a long shot but knows the club, the Prem and what it takes to get out of this division...if I was running Bristol City I'd want to have a wide network of potential successors because it would be a massive and costly challenge to appoint any manager who's already had success at a higher level than we are playing at...

How can he know the club, when he hasn't been anywhere near us for well over ten years? There's been a complete overhaul of players, staff and training facilities during that time! Secondly he doesn't know what it takes to get out this division because he hasn't been a manager who has to make the vital decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I think Terry Connor is probably a great coach (from what I heard - obviously I have no first hand knowledge of that), but he has zero experience as a manager and would be a much bigger gamble that other known people.

Archived