IGNORED

For 25 Years. For 40 Years. For 15 Years. For 35 Years. Etc.

Olé

Not going to get into the Johnson Out thing, as merited as it has been by what has been going on for the past few months, but just a serious question: on Radio Bristol and on here a lot of people keep trotting out the "been watching City for x years and enough is enough" or "been a season ticket holder for x years and won't be renewing".

Now I know some people will do this every time there's a crisis, and I know Radio Bristol has a minimum quota per match of one person who has watched City for 35 years and seen enough, but is this really the worst some people have ever seen? I find the whole concept baffling to be honest, do these people not remember previous seasons?

Yes the football and selection and tactics have been pretty laughable for several months now but worst ever? This line is getting so irritating because it's clear that it's not true and is a bit of attention seeking "look at me, I've been watching for x years and I'm not happy" rather than any actual critical comparison on the quality of football.

Do people even remember the talentless nobodies Osman gave us late in his tenure who couldn't pass and couldn't shoot straight, or the Pulis era with 46 consecutive home 0-0 draws devoid of football against teams we're now divisions above. Even under Wilson I recall standing on the terrace at Cambridge watching a most god awful 1-0 defeat.

The last 3-4 months under Johnson have been dire and very frustrating to watch but I wish some people could argue what it is they dislike and stop relying on the old worst ever nonsense to make a cheap point, if you've watched City for ANY length of time that should be getting like crying wolf! Imagine having a Maynard under Osman or Pulis.

I assume that when people say they've been watching for 30 years, what they really mean is they've been going for 30 years because they certainly haven't been watching.

I can safely say last night was one of the worst games I've watched in 20 years. I've seen worse defeats from a scoreline perspective but the way we played was absolutely shocking. Even Pulis didn't go quite as direct as we did last night.. and at least he kept the back door shut most of the time.

It was crying out for a creative midfielder to put his foot on the ball.

I can safely say last night was one of the worst games I've watched in 20 years. I've seen worse defeats from a scoreline perspective but the way we played was absolutely shocking. Even Pulis didn't go quite as direct as we did last night.. and at least he kept the back door shut most of the time.

Sure, there have been some diabolical games this season that rank as bad as anything, but there's also been a bit of everything this season, I'm still proud of our away day at Newcastle and as you'd expect from the investment in the team and recent seasons history, we HAVE had a few other decent performances, albeit in the vast minority.

But people who trot out these lines never attach it to just one game as you have Tom, they always have to talk about the state of the club in general terms when they dish out their weekly superlatives about the depths to which we've sunk. It can't be dross, it's got be the worst dross ever. It can't be clueless, it's got to be the most clueless ever.

If anyone here would actually have preferred to have sat through Osman's second season with 6,000 home crowds, the atmosphere of a morgue and total shambles on the pitch (where you had to cheer ironically if a pass was actually completed or shot didn't hit row Z), then I'm afraid be careful what you wish for. We're never that bad a side.

Not going to get into the Johnson Out thing, as merited as it has been by what has been going on for the past few months, but just a serious question: on Radio Bristol and on here a lot of people keep trotting out the "been watching City for x years and enough is enough" or "been a season ticket holder for x years and won't be renewing".

Now I know some people will do this every time there's a crisis, and I know Radio Bristol has a minimum quota per match of one person who has watched City for 35 years and seen enough, but is this really the worst some people have ever seen? I find the whole concept baffling to be honest, do these people not remember previous seasons?

Yes the football and selection and tactics have been pretty laughable for several months now but worst ever? This line is getting so irritating because it's clear that it's not true and is a bit of attention seeking "look at me, I've been watching for x years and I'm not happy" rather than any actual critical comparison on the quality of football.

Do people even remember the talentless nobodies Osman gave us late in his tenure who couldn't pass and couldn't shoot straight, or the Pulis era with 46 consecutive home 0-0 draws devoid of football against teams we're now divisions above. Even under Wilson I recall standing on the terrace at Cambridge watching a most god awful 1-0 defeat.

The last 3-4 months under Johnson have been dire and very frustrating to watch but I wish some people could argue what it is they dislike and stop relying on the old worst ever nonsense to make a cheap point, if you've watched City for ANY length of time that should be getting like crying wolf! Imagine having a Maynard under Osman or Pulis.

I assume that when people say they've been watching for 30 years, what they really mean is they've been going for 30 years because they certainly haven't been watching.

Well I have been "going" for over 40 years - I first went in 1967 when Fred Ford was manager.

I've always looked forward to every game, I've watched City in all 4 divisions and seen every important game as well as virtually every home game.

But - for the first time ever I've sat in my seat in the Dolman and though "Why am I here, I'm simply not enjoying this" That's real, personally worrying as I've never felt like this before and it is a genuine emotion and I'm not "attention seeking".

I've lost faith in Gary Johnson, his tactics, his tinkering, his continued manipulation of the team to include his son, his poor signings, his cosy backroom that includes his unqualified brother as our "talent" spotter. His refusal to bring young players through.

We played at a lower level in the 4th div but at least we gave it a go, played football, and I had faith that Terry Cooper knew the game and what he was trying to achieve.

Pulis was boring and he made some awful buys (Mortimer, Jones, Beadle, Holland etc) and as ex-gas he was never going to be liked and was a bad choice (for City) by the Board but even then I believed he had coaching ability albeit not in the style of football that we wanted at AG.

He's shown at Stoke he can achieve success- if you accept his "style" of football.

Under Osman and Lumsden it was obvious it wasn't working but mercifully their reign's were cut short quickly by the board.

The dissatisfaction now being heard from all parts of the City support is with the fact that the Johnson era is being allowed to continue long after it's clear to everybody that it isn't going to change or improve.

If Gary Johnson had the ability to turn things around he would have done it by now because the cracks started 2 seasons ago.

What's making this dissatisfaction even worse is the growing fear and realisation that Stephen Lansdown is not going to act and this dross is going to continue into next year driven on by some kind of misgiuded belief by SL that loyalty and taking the long term view will prevail and take us forward - possibly inspired by the often quoted example of Man Utd sticking with Ferguson.

Taking the long term view and showing loyalty are comendable providing IT IS TO THE RIGHT PERSON but sorry SL ,Gary ain't no Fergie.

CR

It was crying out for a creative midfielder to put his foot on the ball.

On a pitch that looked like it had been ploughed?! Do you really think a player who can pass the ball along the floor would have been useful last night? Not criticising you, I understand your point, but I suspect GJ is using his "horses for courses" and doubt we'll be playing like that in every game between now and the end of the season. I suspect it was a case of what he felt would get a result for that particular match on that particular ground. I'm sure PH or LJ will come back in on Saturday.

Well I have been "going" for over 40 years - I first went in 1967 when Fred Ford was manager.

I've always looked forward to every game, I've watched City in all 4 divisions and seen every important game as well as virtually every home game.

But - for the first time ever I've sat in my seat in the Dolman and though "Why am I here, I'm simply not enjoying this" That's real, personally worrying as I've never felt like this before and it is a genuine emotion and I'm not "attention seeking".

I've lost faith in Gary Johnson, his tactics, his tinkering, his continued manipulation of the team to include his son, his poor signings, his cosy backroom that includes his unqualified brother as our "talent" spotter. His refusal to bring young players through.

We played at a lower level in the 4th div but at least we gave it a go, played football, and I had faith that Terry Cooper knew the game and what he was trying to achieve.

Pulis was boring and he made some awful buys (Mortimer, Jones, Beadle, Holland etc) and as ex-gas he was never going to be liked and was a bad choice (for City) by the Board but even then I believed he had coaching ability albeit not in the style of football that we wanted at AG.

He's shown at Stoke he can achieve success- if you accept his "style" of football.

Under Osman and Lumsden it was obvious it wasn't working but mercifully their reign's were cut short quickly by the board.

The dissatisfaction now being heard from all parts of the City support is with the fact that the Johnson era is being allowed to continue long after it's clear to everybody that it isn't going to change or improve.

If Gary Johnson had the ability to turn things around he would have done it by now because the cracks started 2 seasons ago.

What's making this dissatisfaction even worse is the growing fear and realisation that Stephen Lansdown is not going to act and this dross is going to continue into next year driven on by some kind of misgiuded belief by SL that loyalty and taking the long term view will prevail and take us forward - possibly inspired by the often quoted example of Man Utd sticking with Ferguson.

Taking the long term view and showing loyalty are comendable providing IT IS TO THE RIGHT PERSON but sorry SL ,Gary ain't no Fergie.

CR

40 years and this is the worst you have ever seen? I agree with the original poster - it has been a lot worse than this over the last 20 years let alone 40.

I take my hat off to you, I hope to be watching city as long as you have and I think its a sad day when anyone feels they are not enjoying it like they used to especially when they have been going as long as you have but I think your problem is more of whole general problem with football and the country in general falling out of love with it because of the overpriced tickets and over payed players and fans generally getting the "if you dont like it dont come" treatment.

Football has transformed massively over the last 20 years and I can honestly say I dont think I would start going now, as opposed to 20 odd years ago when I first caught the bug, it just lacks soul now and when you see players kissing the badge of the highest paying club its like saying I love this club because they can pay me more than any other club. maybe I have a dreamy history of what football used to be like but I just remember it having 10 times more heart, soul and passion than anything I saw last night.

Codered - Spot on. I started watching in 1978, and what we are watching now is definitely amongst the least enjoyable football to date.

80/81 in Div 2 was dire, but we had no money and players on long contracts.

Pulis was bad, but mercifully it was cut short.

Osman tried his best with no money, he had to do his best with a poor squad, and in fairness, he did OK, although it was often not pretty.

What we have now is a Manager with plenty of backing who did well a few years ago, but now seems to have a desire to fill the squad with mediocrities, and change formation/ tactics as often as possible. So we have dull football, an ever-rising level of debt, and an Academy that costs a lot of money, but gets ignored. We are storing up big problems for the future. And his post-match interviews really annoy me, but then again, I thought he talked a pile of carp when he was Yeovil manager.

Loan striker anybody?

Hi. I am new to the forum, and this is my first reply to anyone. I have been watching City for 36 years - ever since Keith Fear cancelled out Billy Bremner's goal in the 5th round FA Cup games vs Leeds Utd - and I partly agree with you, but I do have doubts about whether Gary is the man to take us further than he already has.

This is not, by far, the worst City side ever at the Gate - Osman or Benny anyone?! - but recent results and a lack of consistancy makes me question Gary's ability to continue the fantastic work he has already done for the club. Why does he continually get in striker after striker when, in Akinde especially, we have young strikers at the club who should be given an extended run in the side? We all know that our defence has been lacking a commanding figure head for yonks - Carey is, unfortunately, not the player he once once and others like Fontaine, Nyatanga etc are still learning the game - so when are we going to see an experienced defender arrive at the club to give us some stability at the back? My other concern is with Gerken, who is beginning to remind me a lot of Steve Phillips - ie a great shot stopper but lacks the command of his area. I know Basso is a big loss, and we will never know the real story behind his departure, but surely if the club is going to be challenging for the play-offs season in, season out we need a goalie who does more than just pull off good saves.

I am not one of those who threaten not to renew my ticket - I have problems with the club over that in recent months (long story, will leave that for another posting) but I will be back next season, and the one after that, etc etc! - nor do I rant on and on on Radio Bristol (always the same old voices week in, week out), so this forum will have to serve as my one location to let off steam - and praise - about my one true passion in life!

If anyone here would actually have preferred to have sat through Osman's second season with 6,000 home crowds, the atmosphere of a morgue and total shambles on the pitch (where you had to cheer ironically if a pass was actually completed or shot didn't hit row Z), then I'm afraid be careful what you wish for. We're never that bad a side.

I watched the Osman era and could never remember crowds of 6000 so I done a bit of checking and found that during the 1993 season the average attendance was 11004 so it seems what you are accussing people of is what you guilty of yourself your memory is playing tricks with you.

No it dipped into the 6'000 or so. I remember the game after we won at Anfield, we had less at home to Grimsby? than we took up there.

Not the game after, but later in that season.. less than 6'000 at HOME for what was a Championship fixture!

http://www.soccerbas...d?gameid=219456

<br />If anyone here would actually have preferred to have sat through Osman's second season with 6,000 home crowds, the atmosphere of a morgue and total shambles on the pitch (where you had to cheer ironically if a pass was actually completed or shot didn't hit row Z), then I'm afraid be careful what you wish for. We're never that bad a side.<br />
<br /><br /><br />I watched the Osman era and could never remember crowds of 6000 so I done a bit of checking and found that during the 1993 season the average attendance was 11004 so it seems what you are accussing people of is what you guilty of yourself your memory is playing tricks with you.<br />

<br />If anyone here would actually have preferred to have sat through Osman's second season with 6,000 home crowds, the atmosphere of a morgue and total shambles on the pitch (where you had to cheer ironically if a pass was actually completed or shot didn't hit row Z), then I'm afraid be careful what you wish for. We're never that bad a side.<br />
<br /><br /><br />I watched the Osman era and could never remember crowds of 6000 so I done a bit of checking and found that during the 1993 season the average attendance was 11004 so it seems what you are accussing people of is what you guilty of yourself your memory is playing tricks with you.<br />

Spot on - I've been going for far too long and have definitely seen worse seasons than this one both in terms of results and entertainment. It's the worst for a while, but not the worst in modern times by any rational measure (quality of players, quality of goals scored, points won, attendances, quality of opposition etc).

What a bunch of moaners we have. I know most have good intent but geez... I listened to yesterdays match on the radio and we sounded very unlucky. Bad form happens in football and our team is clearly under-performing. Once it works itself out we'll be find.

/optimism

I watched the Osman era and could never remember crowds of 6000 so I done a bit of checking and found that during the 1993 season the average attendance was 11004 so it seems what you are accussing people of is what you guilty of yourself your memory is playing tricks with you.

The inflated average attendance was down to voucher schemes associated with the various Liverpool ties and subsequent FA Cup ties which increased attendances as people came to get their golden pass to get a cup ticket. I can assure you we had a 6xxx league crowd during the Liverpool ties as I was there and whilst perhaps not exactly 6000 the pattern of 6 or 7k crowds continued in patches that season and certainly the following season - I remember games at home to Grimsby in the rain and other throwaway fixtures which were at best 7k, the Dolman half empty and you could hear a pin drop and the sound of Marvin Harriott crosses bouncing off the roof of the Williams.

Obviously there have been worse teams/performances over the years; by definition a division 3 team in the mid 90s would be worse than a team in the modern Championship. However, its all relative and expectations have been raised. We should be thankful for where we are now but fearful of where we appear to be heading...

Part of the problem this year is that expectations have been raised so when we fall a long way short it effects peoples perception of good bad and indifferent.

Undoubtedly the football this year has at times been dire and last night was up there with the worst, having said that I went to CP last week and thought we played OK with only a % of hoofball.

This is my 40th year of watching City and whilst it has been far from great there have been worse as have been mentioned.

I agree that football generally is no longer the fun it used to be and am seriously considering whether to renew my ST as I no longer feel its value for money. Years ago the cost of watching was a lot less relatively speaking so if the game was crap it didnt feel so painful, also there was a lot more humour at games then.

Returning to last nights. one of the most irritating things it that at the start of the season we were playing some good stuff so why on earth we have resorted to a style that befits the downs league is beyond me.

If watching City for all these years has taught me anything it is that the most important person at any football club is the Chairman and we have a good one. Support him and he will sort it.

Yes it is the worse and yes i have been "watching" all these years. Ive always enjoyed watching City, even when we were bottom of the 4th division we had pride in our club. My pride is being taken away at the moment by the farcical signings and dire, boring football this manager is serving up.

Every player with that bit of "something different"Carle,Noble,Trundle, Williams etc are all shown the door by Johnson and instead we watch all i can describe as flat boring negative crap!!!. Its our club and not Johnson City. I want to watch a team with some players who have come through the ranks and REALLY want to play for my club. Hes taken away the enjoyment of watching us play IMO.

Its gone on for 2 seasons now, Pulis was only around for 6 months and that was the worse before now.

I have renewed my S/T but if we still have the same old negative stuff next season i do wonder how many times i will use it.

Yes it is the worse and yes i have been "watching" all these years. Ive always enjoyed watching City, even when we were bottom of the 4th division we had pride in our club. My pride is being taken away at the moment by the farcical signings and dire, boring football this manager is serving up.

Every player with that bit of "something different"Carle,Noble,Trundle, Williams etc are all shown the door by Johnson and instead we watch all i can describe as flat boring negative crap!!!. Its our club and not Johnson City. I want to watch a team with some players who have come through the ranks and REALLY want to play for my club. Hes taken away the enjoyment of watching us play IMO.

Its gone on for 2 seasons now, Pulis was only around for 6 months and that was the worse before now.

I have renewed my S/T but if we still have the same old negative stuff next season i do wonder how many times i will use it.

All four of the players you mention hardly set the league on fire did they.

They've all also really furthered their careers since moving on / being farmed out on loan.

All four of the players you mention hardly set the league on fire did they.

They've all also really furthered their careers since moving on / being farmed out on loan.

I would rather watch a side with that sort of player in it though. Your content with watching this rubbish then?

Plus, Johnson signed all of them, if he wasnt going to let them play the way they play there best football then why did he sign them?

People must not remember Swansea away under Tinnion or Chesterfield away under GJ early on. We were far worse then than we are now.

It was a very poor game last night for Championship level though from both sides. Luckily we had a decent start else we would definately be going down with them. As it is we should just about stay up but only by a couple of points I should imagine.

If you think its been dire under Johnson for 3-4 months then you are the one who hasn't been watching.

I have been a City supporter since 1967 and apart from Lumbsden this is the worst persistent football served up by any manager in that time.

The important point is to remember that Johnson has serving up the current shite for two seasons. Thankfully Lumbsden or the others you mention didn't have that long. Also remember that Johnson has far better quality players than any of the others did. Part of the reason it was poor back then was because City had too many poor players. Johnson doesn't have that excuse, after all he signed most of them.

Archived