IGNORED

Gerken

BITW

It's a tricky one for me. DG started the season brilliantly and his actual shot stopping is at times immense. I know he's only 24 (young for a GK) but today wasn't exactly the first mistake he's made this season.

And also, to those sat around me blaming Skuse for their first goal - GET REAL or perhaps a trip to specsavers is what you need.

It's a tricky one for me. DG started the season brilliantly and his actual shot stopping is at times immense. I know he's only 24 (young for a GK) but today wasn't exactly the first mistake he's made this season.

And also, to those sat around me blaming Skuse for their first goal - GET REAL or perhaps a trip to specsavers is what you need.

Skuse clearly called for the ball (as pointed out by the commentary), but he was sloppy.

It's interesting isn't it? I'm sure if Sno had ben in that position, most on here would have been blaming him instead.

Sometimes he just needs to take a deep breath and regain his compusure and not feel he has to keep the game going , sometimes it needs to be slowed down . He made some cracking saves though so hard to criticise perhaps with some good coaching now these lack of concentration can be taken out of his game

Skuse clearly called for the ball (as pointed out by the commentary), but he was sloppy.

It's interesting isn't it? I'm sure if Sno had ben in that position, most on here would have been blaming him instead.

In fairness I didn't see that Skuse called.

Anyhow, a suicidal ball to play by dean and poor decision making by CS.

If Skuse called for the ball and as you say the commentary team heard it so I suspect he did, then they both should shoulder the blame equally...The fact is there were 3 yellow shirts in the picture when the ball was thrown and the guy who knicked the ball of Skuse just of camera. Gerkin has eyes and should have seen that, he didn't...

Most of our team were half way down the field where the ball should have been...Not a City player in sight when the GK got rounded....Enough said

In fairness I didn't see that Skuse called.

Anyhow, a suicidal ball to play by dean and poor decision making by CS.

Poor decision to throw to Skuse, cost us the match.

Made some decent saves that you'd expect keepers at this level to make. Liability IMO.

Agree with most of that, especially his desire to keep the play moving when we are 2-0 up with 20 to go. Take a breather son, slow it down, get booked for time wasting if you have to. Yeah Skuse may have called for the ball, but the ball is in the keepers hands and he has the whole pitch in front of him so he makes the call with that one. He is young and will learn, but when you are fighting to retain your league status you could do with out having to say ''Oh, well chin up lad, we all make mistakes'' etc etc

He has to learn quickly

He made some brilliant saves today that kept us in the game. They put a lot of pressure on him whenever he got the ball and he just about coped. Hope he learns a lesson from the ball to Skuse which was a mistake in my book - even if Skuse did call it was never the right ball. He's got great potential and needs support to get his confidence up under pressure

He needs confidence, experience and coaching - but he will be a very good keeper in the future.

He pulled off a few very good saves today as well, that should be remembered.

I do wonder if from his angle he couldn't see the player closing Skuse down.

I didn't notice in the 1st half but after HT Newcastle always had 1 or 2 players practically at Gerkins shoulder when he was kicking out, this definately un-nerved him and forced him into errors. When he passed to Skuse he had 2 Newcastle players very close and it seemed a rushed decision, and ultimately a wrong one.

Yes that goal was down to them both but Gerkin saved us quite a few times too.

Newcastle would have won if it wasn't for Gerkin today

We all have our own opinions and mine is that City would have won it today if it wasn't for Gerkin.

That's the second goal he's gifted the opposition at home.

Good shot stopper, but aren't all GKs in this league?

Very shaky in deciding whether to come off his line and gather the ball, as was demonstrated very clearly in the second half and his kicking is pretty woeful as well.

Guess he will have to do for now but he will have to improve if he is going to really make it at this level.

Now please correct me if im wrong in the following assumption but I think that there just might be a certain ex Championship keeper of Brazilian nationality who may be living in the area who now that there has been a change of management at his former workplace just might consider returning especially as it appears that his mobile has not been red hot with job offers of late?????

Alright yes I know, time for my medication.................

Gerkens fault for goal and no he ain't good enough for us as 1st choice right now.

Was anyone at Cheltenham Town in the League Cup when Basso with all the time in the world threw it straight to a Cheltenham Town player who somehow more or less missed an open goal by hitting the bar. This was Bassos 2nd season with us. At least Gerken threw it to one of our players.

Mistakes happens to even the best of Keepers

I feel Gerken will be a great Keeper for us we need to be patient with him just like we were with Basso.

And that cost us the match ffs !!

This is true and there's no two ways about it.

At the end of the day as a keeper if you make a mistake, 9/10 times it leads to a goal. Today was a judgement error which is really down to Gerken's age in my opinion.

Another poster mentioned we need to be patient and I agree. Can't believe people are slagging off Sno and Skuse as well. The whole team did well today but we all need patience. Now that Johnson is gone the team will need to be built up again and that ain't gonna happen over night.

Mistake was a poor one but to say he isn't up to championship standard is a little disrespective of his ability imo.

And that cost us the match ffs !!

His saves saved us the match ffs ! !

How anybody can criticise gerken today is beyond belief.

He actually commanded his area today, pulled off some brilliant saves. OK he made one mistake but how many mistakes did the rest of the team make?

this love in with basso is just a joke - he doesn't want to play for us and if he was that good all the teams who have made emergency goalkeeper loans would have snapped him up by now = get over him.

would certainly look for a keeper in pre season.

the onlt reason people are talking about his point winning save is because he messed up to let newcastle back in it anyway. yes skuse called for the ball but he couldnt see what was behind him. Gerken was looking straight at him and should have known it was not the ball to play. it was pure stupidity!

if keeping was purely about shot stopping, then he would be one of the best in the league. unfortunately for us and him, its about a lot more than that!

Archived