IGNORED

Perspective...

spudski

After yesterdays battling performance by the boys, i hope a lot of fans now realise the vast difference between an average Championship team and one that is vying for promotion.

Our goals came from a rebound freekick and a wonder strike from nothing.

Newcastle had far more possession than us and better quality all over the pitch.

Yes, it was a battling performance by City, but imo showed the vast difference in what is needed to go up.

It would be impossible for City to put that first half performance in week in week out throughout the season with the playing staff we have.But to go up, you have too.

Hopefully some sense will prevail.

After yesterdays battling performance by the boys, i hope a lot of fans now realise the vast difference between an average Championship team and one that is vying for promotion.

Newcastle had far more possession than us and better quality all over the pitch.

Yes, it was a battling performance by City, but imo showed the vast difference in what is needed to go up.

It would be impossible for City to put that first half performance in week in week out throughout the season with the playing staff we have.But to go up, you have too.

I don't usuall rate Steve Claridge on the Football League Show, but last night he had it spot on, we didn't have the quality to hold the ball , slow the game down and take the sting out of Newcastle.

When City run around with lot's of huff and puff, they can match the best in the division, unfortunately yesterday we ran out of puff and struggled really badly towards the end. I personally think Millen got it wrong, and he should have brought Lee Johnson on for Hartley, as Hartley's legs were obviously gone and couldn't keep up (incidentally Hartley did have a good game btw)

Sorry - not sure what the point of this post is exactly? Why is perspective needed? No one is saying we are premier league caliber - people are just encouraged by what they saw from the team yesterday.

I logged on to this forum last night after the game expecting the familiar angry posts about how we bottled it and conceded 2 goals, Millen should be fired etc however what i read were a lot of positive posts congratulating the players and staff which i think were justified judging by comments from those who were there.

I think it says something about how certain fans log on here and still feel the need to post negative posts even though as a club we need to be 'together' at the moment given the last weeks events.

We should be pulling together to support the club as this season draws to a close and hopefully last nights performance against a team who will be back in the Prem will be the start of this turn around. We shouldn't be looking for negatives from it.

Rant over

Sorry - not sure what the point of this post is exactly? Why is perspective needed? No one is saying we are premier league caliber - people are just encouraged by what they saw from the team yesterday.

I logged on to this forum last night after the game expecting the familiar angry posts about how we bottled it and conceded 2 goals, Millen should be fired etc however what i read were a lot of positive posts congratulating the players and staff which i think were justified judging by comments from those who were there.

I think it says something about how certain fans log on here and still feel the need to post negative posts even though as a club we need to be 'together' at the moment given the last weeks events.

We should be pulling together to support the club as this season draws to a close and hopefully last nights performance against a team who will be back in the Prem will be the start of this turn around. We shouldn't be looking for negatives from it.

Rant over

Unlike a lot of people on this forum, i don't judge our team from game to game.

I try to see the bigger picture.

I can't really see how my post is negative.

Like our Chairman and GJ have said on many occasions, the expectations of the fans is too high. The play off final was to blame. And also the fact, that was hinted at by our manager at the time, and Chairman, that we would be going for promotion this season.

Of course, every team in the league wants that, but realistically, it made fans expectations too high. It also put pressure on the players and manager when results didn't go our way

I'm not looking to be negative, in fact the opposite.

Tbh...I stated the bleedin obvious, but many don't see it.

Because i have never even considered us as play off contenders this season, my reaction to results is less surprising.

The 'over reactions' on here from week to week are rediculous.

Yes, yesterdays result was a great battling performance. But surely the quality of the opposition was there for all to see, and the bench mark, we as a club need to strive for. Week in, week out.

I wouldn't be suprised if we get turned over big time by Barnsley. However, we are also capable of turning them over. It's that type of league. Whatever the result, as long as it's a battling performance by City, i'll be happy. If the lads give 100%, you can't ask for more.

City were playing the best team in the Championship by some margin. Of course they better than us, they have better players and are full of self confidence. On the other hand Citys confidence has been low and with lots of internal upsets this last week.

What City need from now on in is to pull further away from the drop zone asap and to do that the team has to play as they played in the first half yesterday, with pride and battling performances. If that can be achieved through consistancy then whoever the new manager is can assess and prepare fro next season with a clean slate.

City have two very winnable games coming against Barnsley and away at Posh and hopefully this time next week City will be well clear of the drop zone.

City were playing the best team in the Championship by some margin. Of course they better than us, they have better players and are full of self confidence. On the other hand Citys confidence has been low and with lots of internal upsets this last week.

What City need from now on in is to pull further away from the drop zone asap and to do that the team has to play as they played in the first half yesterday, with pride and battling performances. If that can be achieved through consistancy then whoever the new manager is can assess and prepare fro next season with a clean slate.

City have two very winnable games coming against Barnsley and away at Posh and hopefully this time next week City will be well clear of the drop zone.

Do you really think City can put in yesterdays first half performance, consistently, week in, week out with our current squad of players? They couldn't do it for a full game, let alone a run of games. Battling with pride will gain some points, but in the long run, you need quality as well.

Like you say...Hopefully we can achieve those points to stave off relegation this season. But, imo, a big shake up of our current playing staff is needed, regardless of who the next manager is. We just don't have the quality at this level.

To be fair to Keith Millen, I partly agree with his assessment until the mistake that led to Newcastles first goal, I could'nt see where they were going to get a goal from and that goal gave them impetus. What Keith Millen could'nt say (for obvious reasons) was bringing on Sno turned out to be a big mistake, he was dreadful, failing to hold the ball up, giving it away cheaply, failing to protect the centre of the defence (in the way Skuse did in the first half) and for some unkown reason playing to far up the park (possibly under instruction).

Could easily have been 3 points but for the initial mistake, which was compounded by a substitution that went wrong.

Claridge was right I thought, Sky commentators too. Keeping the ball under pressure is a skill we need to develop probably, to take the sting out of the game. However, it is easier said than done. Even so, if not for the error, I believe we would have won but it is still a necessary skill. Also agree with posters who hope we can recreate that type of performance every week. For me, the performances vs WBA and Newcastle should bey the benchmark of how we need to try to perform week in, week out. That goes for the fans and the atmosphere too.

Claridge was right I thought, Sky commentators too. Keeping the ball under pressure is a skill we need to develop probably, to take the sting out of the game. However, it is easier said than done. Even so, if not for the error, I believe we would have won but it is still a necessary skill. Also agree with posters who hope we can recreate that type of performance every week. For me, the performances vs WBA and Newcastle should bey the benchmark of how we need to try to perform week in, week out. That goes for the fans and the atmosphere too.

Undoubtedly true we need to retain possession a lot better. Mind you that is an endemic problem in this country, including the international side. I also take into account that if we (or any team) pass the ball sideways or backwards so as to not give it away cheaply, the crowd will start to grumble. The good old English cry of "Get rid of it!" is alive and well.

Personally I remain sceptical as to whether we will see the same level of effort against say Barnsley. We certainly haven't seen it very often this season.:disapointed2se: Hope I'm wrong.:fingerscrossed:

Do you really think City can put in yesterdays first half performance, consistently, week in, week out with our current squad of players? They couldn't do it for a full game, let alone a run of games. Battling with pride will gain some points, but in the long run, you need quality as well.

Like you say...Hopefully we can achieve those points to stave off relegation this season. But, imo, a big shake up of our current playing staff is needed, regardless of who the next manager is. We just don't have the quality at this level.

I agree, City don't currently have the quality to maintain serious contenders for promotion over a season. We saw last season and this seasosn just how big the gulf is between the top sides and ourselves.

Thats why imo seeing out this season and maintaining Championship status is the first goal asap. City can achieve that with more spirited performances like Saturday. Another two or preferably three wins would be enough. The first hopefully tomorrow night.

The new man can then take full stock of what player resources are available over the summer, strengthen with SL's support and go into next season with a stronger and more balanced squad.

I don't think it's that reasonable to look at Newcastle as an example of what is needed to go up.

They have way more than what is needed for promotion - including a £60m wage bill and a squad that cost them £40m+ in transfer fees.

If they had been managed even half way competently off the field they'd never have dropped below mid table in the Prem.

IMO they'll finish this season with over 90 points and over 90 goals and it's not a yardstick we should measure by.

It's going to be tough enough competing with teams like West Brom who have some yoyo money but aren't in Newcastle's league IMO.

Tbh...The thought of ever going up fills me with Fear. From what i can see, unless you're one of the more established big clubs, it seems to just cause instability within the Club. Fighting to avoid the drop every year, immense pressure on managers and having to pay hideous amounts in wages to journeyman type pro's just to compete...

I've spoken to fans from Hull, Wolves, Wigan, Bolton, Portsmouth and Blackburn, and they all said it was more fun in the Championship.

Ok...you get the odd team playing above the bar like Stoke and Birmingham this year, but when you look at the likes of Reading, Leeds, Charlton to name a few, it seems a slippery slope.

It's all a bit of a catch 22 tbh...

It must be fun being a Baggies fan though...never a dull season :rolleyes::laugh:

It must be fun being a Baggies fan though...never a dull season rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

A Baggies ST holder I know told me that intially its a fantastic experience to be the PL but the bigger clubs with loads of money end up nicking all your best players and its almost impossible to compete season after season. Eventually repeated ups and downs gets wearysome after a few seasons.

It would be a great experience for Bristol City to make to the PL even if we came straight back down. At least the parachute payments would help build a stronger club.

Archived