IGNORED

Royston Hayward

REDOXO

Roy Hayward formerly of Hotwells Road passed away on Sunday at St Helier Hospital Carshalton. Roy was a runner up as supporter of the year in our last promotion season and was quite literally City til he died.

Dad was born in Bristol in 1931 and the way he always told it was first taken by 'Uncle Arthur' a Filton aerospace worker who died of lung disease brought on by being caught in a raid to the factory, to a City V Rovers match in 1938 at which point much to Arthur's dismay (A North Sider) he became a City fan.

During the war years Roy (dad) would watch the city whenever he was able (and they could put a team out) and became a great fan of Alec Eisenstrager a former POW who played for the City during (I think) and after the war.

Like many Bristolians of his era his up bringing was pretty tough and it was specially for dad as his own father was not around so much. He told many stories of nicking lead during the war years to help make ends meet for his mum, Doris, and one particular story I heard many times was of the day the picture house in the area was bombed just a few minutes after he left and he was saved by a copper who dragged him into a shop window and covered him up with the cape coppers would ware back then. Nevertheless there was upside...he was bombed out of many schools,,, until he finally ended up up at St Mary Redcliffe, where he grew a love for choir music (it paid) and a healthy respect for Nuns wielding wooden implements of schoolboy torcher

After the war dad joined the Royal Navy and flew the City flag around the world with his mate Mulonoe (A Burnley Supporter who also died recently) and they saw action in Korea and the Suez between bouts of binge drinking in Malta, Hong Kong, Egypt, and various trouble spots (largely because they were there) around the world, which at one point led to jaundice and a charge and if family history is to be believed a drink sent down by Earl Mountbattern himself after a longish stay in the ship's jankers (please any sailors correct me if I'm wrong) !

In one of his off shore sorties in the City of Plymouth dad met mum a corporal (and daughter of a regimental Captain) in the Queens and they settled in Guildford in Surrey...(Where I was bought up)

Dad started his motorway/A Road love affair with the City in 1958, some of you guys who have done the similar treks can tell me when the M4 was finally finished, and did the journey most weeks until the arrival of me and my brothers curtailed the expenditure. Nevertheless by 1969 I was a regular myself seeing the greats of the pre promotion era, such as, Galley, Spiring, Garland etal and the rarely mentioned 1971 League Cup Semi's against the Spurs.

By the early 70's we were on the road hot and heavy...Tuesdays/Wednesdays and Saturdays... my teachers at the time regularly commenting on the poor standard of the homework I did as I tried to do what I could in the back of a Morris Minor, Morris Traveller, Vauxhall Velux (an affluent period in family history) Mini Clubman among others and once notably hitching to a home game Versus Blackpool (which we won 2-0 thankfully) and being dropped off in Pirbright by a kindly corporal who saw us shivvering by the M4 that Saturday Evening.

By this time we had travelled the length and breadth of the country on occasion to matches that had already been called off...Many times at home and Notably away at Coventry one year where we nearly went of to watch the Albion as some sort of consolation prize, but thought bugger it, its not the same.

By 76 I was 13 and just slightly to old to have my nose squashed against the grill in the Open End and a bit big to fit my fat legs between the railings under the Hospital Broadcast hut but was just tall enough to see Clive Whitehead lash the ball home against relegated Portsmouth and then prey for the next 88 minutes we could hold out, we did, but I got a thick ear from a bloke who I poked in the eye with my 'DIVISION ONE HERE WE COME' flag....We ran on the pitch at the end with the other 27000 people inside the ground WE NEW WE DESRVED THAT.

The 76-77 season began and we were at the Arsenal in the stands taking shit something fierce by this horible little cockney scumbag when the Cheese lept like a Majestic Salmon and hammered the ball with his head past the desperate Rimmer...I will always remember turning to the little git clenching my fist and screaming YYYYEEEEESSSSSS as the City faithful celebrated under the clock...

We were in the open end for the Stoke game which I will quickly move by (most of you know why and if you dont you should), just stopping to acknowledge Donnie Gillies scoring the first home goal in the Top flight in 68 years...There was a win against Sunderland that followed being notable for the fact City KO both halves...statoes do you have that one...and then the brakes were on for me..My dodgy homework had earned me a place at boarding school and I was shipped off leaving dad to almost a year of Divvy One Footy that I could only get to on special occasions when allowed out.

I was allowed out for Liverpool at home in 77, Champions Liverpool came down ready to hammer us in front of a 38000 crowd (if you were in that mayhem you know it was well above 40) and after going behind to a Johnson goal Chris (god) Garland won us the game with two goals that set up the Coventry match. (if you dont know about that you are not a City fan)

Four years of glory seemed to be followed by the gods of Karma punishing us eternally for the temerity to aspire as high as we did, reaching lows at Northampton and at home to Fulham (a high in a funny way), but we did have the odd occasion of glory. The League Cup of 89 was pretty much the high point, but with so so so many false dawns of glory until a Little fat Cockney named Johnson dragged us back to the precipice of glory once again...The recent stuff you are all aware of.....

I left to live in the Chicago area in 2005 however a few are aware I get home for games when I can picking dad up from his dialysis treatment on Saturday morning and wheeling him into the ground...I actually carried him at QPR away at Christmas and dad finally said that he couldn't do it any more...Those words were prophetic as that was the last match he went to, however I know he was so proud that Nicky Maynards stunner was to be made the goal of the season..

Nearly the last words my dad said were to my mum when she passed him the News of the World to him on Sunday..Turn it to the bit about the City game Peg....

I will do my best to get down the Motorway tomorrow maybe even with my brothers, as I know dad wouldn't have liked it if I came over here and missed the match...

Anyway if I haven't bored you all to death, I'll sign off by saying City Till I Die.......Many Thanks for reading dads storey REDOXO

RedOXO - I read your story with great interest. We have watched so many games together over the years - the League Cup SF against Spurs (home and away), the Portsmouth promotion clash, the famous victory at Highbury, the first Div One home match against Stoke ... we've so much in common yet we've never met!

Your dad will have been very proud that you have followed his lifelong interest in the mighty reds. Be sure that he'll be cheering in Heaven from now on.

CTID and then some.

RIP Roy. Sincere condolences to you, your mum and your brothers RedOXO.

Many thanks to all you guys...As you can imagine this is a tough night for me...

Keep your fingers crossed for a win tomorrow....I will do my best to get there

Redoxo

Redoxo. Just read yours / your Dads story at 02:00 in the morning. Brought back so many similar memories of certain important games in our history.

A great piece, superbly written at a time of great sadness for you and your family.

My deepest condolences and lets just hope that the boys can do it particularly for your Dad later on.

R I P fellow red.

Hi Redoxo,

Wow what a great tribute to your dad and please accept my condolences, I know where you are coming from. if you'll allow me I would like to share with my BCFC dad story.

My dad took me to my first BCFC game in 1958 and I was hooked.

We started going to away trips at the start of the 1960's.

We were together for the 1965 promotion, in that promotion season City had a very important midweek game away at Watford, As it was a school day the next day, I was in bed by 9pm, in the morning when I woke up selotaped to my wardrobe was a note and it read Watford 2 v City 4, He even wrote the scorers for both sides. The 1967 FA cup tie against Tottenham at white hart lane, Where Jimmy Greaves broke our hearts.

We were together to watch the great youth run of I think 1970, The team that spawned Gerry Gow, Tom Ritchie and Ray Cashley.

The 1976 promotion year with about 12 road trips, Arsenal at highbury for our return to the top flight and Coventry away the final game where we cried together.

My dad was so proud to be with me for the first game I took my son, His grandson Aston Villa at home 1977. The Bolton Wembley final the 3 of us in tears.

Sadly my dad passed away on a friday in september 1991, on the saturday City were home to Portsmouth (who were struggling) my son and I decided to go as a tribute to my dad, it was raining heavily and we both got soaked and City were crap and lost 2-0, I remember thinking the way they played had insulted his memory, But it was just the grief and I realised that in fact that's what you get with City, Enjoy the good days because bad days will almost certainly outnumber the good.

My dad was really at his happiest anytime we beat the gas, He could'nt wait to go to work after a derby victory.

on our last promotion from the cesspit of the 1st division, I was in the East End with my son, As the teams were lining up to kick off the roar made me well up, But I somehow controlled it, I just wanted my dad to be there. I have been to some quite extraordinary City games during my life, But I have to say the atmosphere that day is without doubt the best I have ever experienced by a country mile and for that memory I will thank Gary Johnson for that for the rest of my life, After the game my son and I experienced a very special moment on the pitch and both had a thought for my dad.

I always know where my dad is on match days, R.I.P dad and keep an eye out for Roy Redoxos dad, I think you'll get on.

Wow - that was a really moving tribute to your Dad. I bet he's having a kick-about with John Atyeo about now.

I hope the club pays tribute to him on Tuesday night. You should phone or email somebody at the club and they could announce it before kick off.

RIP Roy Hayward.

Wow!

There are a couple o things I would like to say firstly, sorry for your loss, secondly again Wow, from what I have read you seem to have had a) a fantastic old man b) a superb relationship with him.

I am not an emotional person but I would be lying saying that I wasn't sat here with a tear rolling down my cheek, what a legend of a bloke Rest in peace.

Thanks for writing that Redoxo it must have been hard, you have some great memories there, again Wow ......... Words fail me.

Great tribute redoxo - with all the rubbish flying around here that really brings home what it's all about.

Got many happy memories of times gone by stood by my Dad in the Open End, he died far too young, glad you have more memories than I do.

Hope you do get to the game tonight, give the lads a special cheer from your Dad, I think he'd like that.

Remember the good times mate!

RIP Royston

Sadly my dad passed away on a friday in september 1991, on the saturday City were home to Portsmouth (who were struggling) my son and I decided to go as a tribute to my dad, it was raining heavily and we both got soaked and City were crap and lost 2-0, I remember thinking the way they played had insulted his memory, But it was just the grief and I realised that in fact that's what you get with City, Enjoy the good days because bad days will almost certainly outnumber the good.

Oddly enough, my Dad passed away in Sep 91 too, the day after we'd beaten the G*s 1-0 at the Gate.

Went from being the happiest 18 year old in the world to WHAM! All part of life's rich tapestry I guess, didn't seem like it at the time though!

Sincere condolences redoxo, a great read but for such a sad situation.

Brought back many memories for me as my father died acouple of years back - also a Roy. Born at a similar time with many similarities regarding the war and city history, he never admitted to stealling lead but did rat catch down Canons Marsh for money!

Was very difficult going to my first game after he died, taking same route, parking in same spot, entering through our supposedly lucky turnstile etc but if you can get to the game today I hope it will go some way to easing your pain at this sad time.

• Admin

A nice tribute to your Dad, especially poignant to me, as my Dad died on 28th Dec 2009, I'd been to see him after the Watford game, as he lived right by Ashton Gate. Having a moan at chucking another lead away and telling him about the game, I had a drink with him and went home, I was back at my parents house by midnight and he was dead, totally unexpected.

He hadn't been to a game for years, but he was the reason I am a City fan, he took me to many games in the 60's when I was too young to get from Whitchurch to Ashton by myself. He was a proficient bowler, gaining many honours and often played in the bowling club below the Dolman stand after it was built, I saw many games FOC, courtesy of the bowling club bar steward who got me into the Dolman, including many of our top flight games.

Regards

Chris

Sincere condolences to REDOXO and his family. A very good and moving read. As Woodsy mentioned there is some rubbish written on here but it's great that this forum gives people the opportunity to share their stories and tributes in this manner.

Oddly enough, my Dad passed away in Sep 91 too, the day after we'd beaten the G*s 1-0 at the Gate.

Went from being the happiest 18 year old in the world to WHAM! All part of life's rich tapestry I guess, didn't seem like it at the time though!

My mother passed away Sept 1st 91, i remember my father telling me to to go to the City-Rovers derby " as you know she wouldn't want you to miss it" we won 1-0 which i subsequently dedicated to my dear old mum, sorry to hear about everyones losses, tis poignant times.

A moving tribute that makes you realise Bristol City is one big family.

I would of been at so many games with you and your Dad, including getting crushed against Liverpool in '77, never be allowed now.

Your post has bought so many memories back to us and we all share you grief, lets hope we can celebrate your Dad's life with a victory that should secure Championship football for next season.

With sympathy,

Ralph.

Many thanks for all the kind comments from you my fellow fans. It is a great comfort to me that my post brought back so many memories and not of just the games but the passion, partnership and family ties and values behind them.

As you can imagine today has been busy and difficult at times but reading these replies has really made me proud of my team and my dad.

Anyway I've got a match to drive to and my mum and Mrs. Redoxo want to come....see you there

Cmon You Reds

Many thanks for all the kind comments from you my fellow fans. It is a great comfort to me that my post brought back so many memories and not of just the games but the passion, partnership and family ties and values behind them.

As you can imagine today has been busy and difficult at times but reading these replies has really made me proud of my team and my dad.

Anyway I've got a match to drive to and my mum and Mrs. Redoxo want to come....see you there

Cmon You Reds

Top man, seeing that has made my day, glad you are all going.

Do what I do, before each game I look up and ask for just 3 more points, and I'll never ask again!

Archived