IGNORED

1st Dicks, 2nd Johnson, 3rd....?

Strictly Obi

1. Harry Thickett = Fa cup final runner up and old div1 top flight runner up and staying in that league for 5 seasons the 1900's.

2. Alan Dicks = Promotion to the old div1 top flight staying there for 4 seasons and various glous cup and anglo scottish cup wins, also a famous cup win at leeds when leeds were massive.

3. Terry Cooper = Picked the club off the floor and got city promoted from the old fourth division and 2 wembley trips.

4. Gary Johnson = Got city to the championship and 1 play off final almost to the prem

5. John Ward = Got city up to what is now the championship

6. Joe Jordan = A few promotions

7. Danny Wilson = Flirting with the play offs and 1 ldv cup win

8. Fred Ford

Whilst the rumours of what happened that night clearly had an impact, that sort of situation can get messy but is no means guaranteed to ensure we could sack without compensation. Look at Fergie at Man U & Beckham etc.

The fact remains that GJ agreed to leave with the minimum of fuss in the end and much of that will in the end be to do with the additional factor of league position.

Had we been sitting in 4th and the same (rumoured) event taken place, do you think he'd have left?

Probably not, but to insinuate he donated his three year contract out of the goodness of his heart is rubbish, of course he didn't want a fuss IF said rumour was true, neither the club or GJ would come off to well, but say a manager did what is rumoured to have happened in the plymouth dressing room, for it all to come out in the press later, who do you think would come off worse? The club would IMO get over it, but a manager could be potentially ruined.

• Admin

Probably not, but to insinuate he donated his three year contract out of the goodness of his heart is rubbish, of course he didn't want a fuss IF said rumour was true, neither the club or GJ would come off to well, but say a manager did what is rumoured to have happened in the plymouth dressing room, for it all to come out in the press later, who do you think would come off worse? The club would IMO get over it, but a manager could be potentially ruined.

The point was in counter to the equally rubbish assertion that Johnson was equally out of his depth in the Championship as John Ward and to show that the equally rubbish assertion that Ward stepped down due to being out of his depth.

TL;DNR Neither Ward or Johnson chose to stand down out of the goodness of their hearts.

As Alan Dicks is the only manager to get us in to the top flight of the football league, i have given him the acolade as our best ever manager.....i guess few would disagree?

As GJ has been closest to replicating this feat, and on the strength of promotion to the Championship and building an established side, i have made him our 2nd best manager ever, again if you look at results and facts etc then few would disagree.

So who deserves the Bronze medal, who would you put in 3rd place? For me it was close between Ward and Wilson, and i have gone for Ward by a whisker, as Wilson never quite was able to get us out of the footbal trough!

Over to you?

Harry Thickett got us to the top flight in 1906 and is easily this club's most successful manager, followed by Alan Dicks then Alex Raisbeck.

Alex Raisbeck won us two Div 3 South Championships in 1923 and 1927.

1st - Dicks - Great achievements.

2nd - Cooper - Nice guy, dragged us out of the mire on a shoestring, great football & bought Alan Walsh.

3rd - Jordan - Took Coopers team and added a defence.

4th - Ward - Nice guy, got us promoted, victim of Boardroom lunacy

5th - Johnson - Great achievements, but he wasted a lot of money, and irritated the hell out of me at times.

Last - Pulis - Made Johnson look prudent!

jordan 1st spell never seems to get the credence it deserves.......seem to remember seeing some of the best football down aston gate in this spell, with 2 outstanding wingers in gavin and smith and also bought bob taylor who simply put was our best striker over the last 30 years.

often wonder what might have happend if jordan and taylor had stayed

Also cooper has to be up there, purely and simply for buying my all time hero alan walsh for 10k, 99 goals for the club and not many of them shabby

2nd - Cooper - Top Bloke, dragged us out of the mire on a shoestring, great football & bought Alan Walsh, plus Wembley Finals

3rd - Jordan - Took Coopers team and added a defence and got us promtoted

4th - Ward - Nice guy, got us promoted, but then victim of Boardroom lunacy

5th - Johnson - Great achievements, but he wasted alot of money, terrible football and irritated the hell out of me at times.

I assume you're talking post-war, as we were in the top flight around 100 years ago...

Anyway, in the last couple of generations (say, the last 40 years) - as I can't really compare managers before my time - I think someone who has to be up there is Terry Cooper. He worked on a shoe-string budget and managed to get us promoted back to the third division, no mean feat given the state we were in at the time. Just because the promotion was from a lower division than Joe Jordan's or John Ward's, it doesn't necessarily make them the better managers. He also led us to triumph in the Football League Trophy and then to runners-up the next season.

He was a genuinely nice guy who cared about the club and given a bit more time, may have got us promoted again.

Unfortunately there was too much negativity around the club at the time. Familiar ?

Racking my brains trying to think of TC's last match, think it was 0-2 away at someone like Notts County.

1. Dicks - Portsmouth 1-0, Arsenal 1-0, Coventry 2-2 enough said

2. GJ - rebuilt the Club from the rubble of 2 decades of mis-management and so very nearly to the promised land

3. TC - dragged us up from the pits and gave us back some pride

More like Ward stepped down in a hissy fit when he didn't get to work with Ray Harford & Ward's version of being "out of his depth" was leaving City in the bottom 6.

Johnson led City to a play-off final and a respectable top 10 finish. The first time we looked like finishing in the bottom half he agreed to leave without having the remaining 3 years of his contract paid up.

Hardly comparible, except in agenda-land.

I think the reported bust up at the Plymouth match had something to do with his leaving, and his contract was paid to the end of this season. closedeyes.gif

2nd - Cooper - Nice guy, dragged us out of the mire on a shoestring, great football & bought Alan Walsh.

3rd - Jordan - Took Coopers team and added a defence.

4th - Ward - Nice guy, got us promoted, victim of Boardroom lunacy

5th - Johnson - Great achievements, but he wasted a lot of money, and irritated the hell out of me at times.

Last - Pulis - Made Johnson look prudent!

How can you seriously rate Ward, who got us promotion out of third level, but was completely out of his depth one level up, above GJ who got to a play off final that took us to within one game of the Premier League and actually spent less money to do it then than Ward did to get us to the bottom place of the Championship?

jordan 1st spell never seems to get the credence it deserves.......seem to remember seeing some of the best football down aston gate in this spell, with 2 outstanding wingers in gavin and smith and also bought bob taylor who simply put was our best striker over the last 30 years.

Thank you MC Risk. Reading this thread I was beginning to think I'd dreamt up 87-90. We have had lots of quality managers in our history and I think that age and good memories will largely dictate the ones that people remember as the best or their favourite. It's all opinion and therefore arguable. In my era of supporting City, Jordan's first spell is the time I look back on with most fondness. There may be some non-footballing reasons for this (friends, youthfulness, coming of age etc), but without doubt the success that Jordan brought in three short years has yet to be matched since. Ward got us promoted. Johnson got us promoted and to a play-off final. Both great achievements, but Jordan achieved a play-off final, a league cup semi-final, beating Chelsea in the FA Cup and promotion in just three years. To me he is a legend.

I work with three Spurs fans who can't comprehend when I extol the virtues of their assistant manager. It's all Harry with them. They don't know what they have. :dunno:

Oh, and you mentioned Smith, fastest player I've ever seen at AG - Ivan Sproule take note. One more for you - Nicky Morgan. 30 grand. The best buy City or Jordan ever made. :winner_third_h4h:

Thank you MC Risk. Reading this thread I was beginning to think I'd dreamt up 87-90. We have had lots of quality managers in our history and I think that age and good memories will largely dictate the ones that people remember as the best or their favourite. It's all opinion and therefore arguable. In my era of supporting City, Jordan's first spell is the time I look back on with most fondness. There may be some non-footballing reasons for this (friends, youthfulness, coming of age etc), but without doubt the success that Jordan brought in three short years has yet to be matched since. Ward got us promoted. Johnson got us promoted and to a play-off final. Both great achievements, but Jordan achieved a play-off final, a league cup semi-final, beating Chelsea in the FA Cup and promotion in just three years. To me he is a legend.

I work with three Spurs fans who can't comprehend when I extol the virtues of their assistant manager. It's all Harry with them. They don't know what they have. :dunno:

Oh, and you mentioned Smith, fastest player I've ever seen at AG - Ivan Sproule take note. One more for you - Nicky Morgan. 30 grand. The best buy City or Jordan ever made. :winner_third_h4h:

Totally agree, especially about Nicky Morgan, how can a player so talented be so forgotten by fans who apparently seem to think there was ever an end product to Dziekanowski?

Joe's first spell was brilliant, however much as I'll always love Joe (and yes, that was my youth too, plus the bountyhunter era, etc), he went before he could have achieved (or bettered) what GJ did in his first season in The Championship.

He may not achieved to his full potential when with us, but there's one man who's gone on to prove himself at the highest level.

He's managed at club level (winning around a dozen titles, both domestically and in European competition) and at international level (guiding an unfancied national team to both the European Championship and World Cup finals).

He's currently busy taking the Premier League's smallest club to their highest league finish for years, as well as to the latter stages of a European trophy.

He's the most successful English manager currently working and he's not only a genius, but a nice guy too. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

...Woy Hodgson.

The one that got away! He could have been our greatest ever manager...

Guest Parson St Station

1. Harry Thickett = Fa cup final runner up and old div1 top flight runner up and staying in that league for 5 seasons the 1900's.

2. Alan Dicks = Promotion to the old div1 top flight staying there for 4 seasons and various glous cup and anglo scottish cup wins, also a famous cup win at leeds when leeds were massive.

3. Terry Cooper = Picked the club off the floor and got city promoted from the old fourth division and 2 wembley trips.

Its very,very hard to argue with that summation.

I totally agree.

Nice one CiderHead

Archived