IGNORED

1st Dicks, 2nd Johnson, 3rd....?

Strictly Obi

As Alan Dicks is the only manager to get us in to the top flight of the football league, i have given him the acolade as our best ever manager.....i guess few would disagree?

As GJ has been closest to replicating this feat, and on the strength of promotion to the Championship and building an established side, i have made him our 2nd best manager ever, again if you look at results and facts etc then few would disagree.

So who deserves the Bronze medal, who would you put in 3rd place? For me it was close between Ward and Wilson, and i have gone for Ward by a whisker, as Wilson never quite was able to get us out of the footbal trough!

Over to you?

As Alan Dicks is the only manager to get us in to the top flight of the football league, i have given him the acolade as our best ever manager.....i guess few would disagree?

As GJ has been closest to replicating this feat, and on the strength of promotion to the Championship and building an established side, i have made him our 2nd best manager ever, again if you look at results and facts etc then few would disagree.

So who deserves the Bronze medal, who would you put in 3rd place? For me it was close between Ward and Wilson, and i have gone for Ward by a whisker, as Wilson never quite was able to get us out of the footbal trough!

Over to you?

Terry Cooper for turning the club around after we hit an all time low.

Over to you?

I assume you're talking post-war, as we were in the top flight around 100 years ago...

Anyway, in the last couple of generations (say, the last 40 years) - as I can't really compare managers before my time - I think someone who has to be up there is Terry Cooper. He worked on a shoe-string budget and managed to get us promoted back to the third division, no mean feat given the state we were in at the time. Just because the promotion was from a lower division than Joe Jordan's or John Ward's, it doesn't necessarily make them the better managers. He also led us to triumph in the Football League Trophy and then to runners-up the next season.

He was a genuinely nice guy who cared about the club and given a bit more time, may have got us promoted again.

TC is for me clearly second to Dicks, GJ a close 3rd, you have to compare what TC and GJ had at their disposal, TC had YTS and 1st year pro's plus a few old un's, also helped with maintenance around the ground, made very good signings out of vitually nothing, ans we played good football all when the club was at it's lowest ebb, without doubt he turned this club around.

Without doubt GJ did an excellent job in getting us where we are now, but you also have to look at the level of expenditure he had at his disposal compared to TC, for this reason it's Terry Cooper for me.

TC is for me clearly second to Dicks, GJ a close 3rd, you have to compare what TC and GJ had at their disposal, TC had YTS and 1st year pro's plus a few old un's, also helped with maintenance around the ground, made very good signings out of vitually nothing, ans we played good football all when the club was at it's lowest ebb, without doubt he turned this club around.

Without doubt GJ did an excellent job in getting us where we are now, but you also have to look at the level of expenditure he had at his disposal compared to TC, for this reason it's Terry Cooper for me.

I was lucky enough to meet Terry on quite a few occaisions, he was a smashing bloke. He certainly helped us through troubled times and is a big favourite of mine. I guess when you look at his acievements, they were mainly in the lower league.....yet had he not helped us through those dark day's, then who knows where we would be now? As club saviour he is top of my list, as a manager 4th or 5th!

TC is for me clearly second to Dicks, GJ a close 3rd, you have to compare what TC and GJ had at their disposal, TC had YTS and 1st year pro's plus a few old un's, also helped with maintenance around the ground, made very good signings out of vitually nothing, and we played good football all when the club was at it's lowest ebb, without doubt he turned this club around, but you also have to look at the level of expenditure he had at his disposal compared to TC, for this reason it's Terry Cooper for me.

Agree about TC but not a mention of John Ward who also got City promoted playing decent football but unlike our most recent previous manager he stepped down when he realised he was out of his depth higher up. Fair play to him.

Had our most recent previous manager stepped down when the wheels started to come off last season he would be remembered more fondly by many more City fans.

Agree about TC BUT not a mention of John Ward who also got City promoted playing decent football but unlike our most recent previous manager he stepped down when he realised he was out of his depth higher up. Fair play to him.

Had our most recent previous manager stepped down when the wheels started to come off last season he would be remembered more fondly by many more City fans.

Ward is my 3rd choice, and had he had a bit more backing from the board at the time may have gone on too greater things. I still think he was pushed rather than he stood down but as things stand, i feel his achievements are clearly overshadowe by AD'S and GJ's!

Yep Terry Cooper and John Ward get second and third place for me, John Ward was a fantastic manager and a genuinely nice bloke, no ego no mention, a breath of fresh air in the modern game.

Yep! Very Very nice blokes.......allways suprised me as to why they didn't go on too bigger and better things?

Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan are hero's of mine. I was young when Cooper was in charge and remember walking home from School and seeing the EP headline Terry Copper leaves City and was gutted. Joe Jordan brought some great memories and I will always remember Gary Johnson.

Alan Dicks is before my time in terms of watching City, but he must be near the top.

MM

Well where I sit in the Atyeo everyone is very greatful for the achievements Gary Johnson did for City. As is the case with the vast majority of posters on this forum.

No doubt you wanted Johnson to leave the season we got promoted and the season we got to the playoffs and last season as well as this season. Indeed you wanted him out pretty much from day one he got appointed to replace Tinman.

So no, I doubt very much you would look back fondly on Gary Johnson's managerial reign regardless the timing of when he stepped down.

I think they both new their limits and with Terry he was doing a job at a club he genuinely loved, Wardy did the rounds a bit in this part of the country and achieved a hell of a lot at Ashton Gate considering the boardroom at the time!

Perhaps Wardy would make a good no.2 too Millen?

Agree about TC but not a mention of John Ward who also got City promoted playing decent football but unlike our most recent previous manager he stepped down when he realised he was out of his depth higher up. Fair play to him.

One day, the only truth that exists will be Robbored's...

Yeah, but SL say's Robbored knows nothing.....who should i believe. SL a well respected and successful businessman or Robbored who.......doesn't like GJ?

dancing6.gif

Blimey! I didn't realise that Steve Lansdown had named me personally....did he name any other of our previous managers many critics? dunno.gif

• Admin

More like Ward stepped down in a hissy fit when he didn't get to work with Ray Harford & Ward's version of being "out of his depth" was leaving City in the bottom 6.

Johnson led City to a play-off final and a respectable top 10 finish. The first time we looked like finishing in the bottom half he agreed to leave without having the remaining 3 years of his contract paid up.

Hardly comparible, except in agenda-land.

I think a lot depends on your age. I was only 9/10 in 82, so was perhaps a bit young to fully appreciate how important Cooper was for us. Joe Jordan will always be a legend to me for Play-off final 87, League Cup run 89 and of course beating Chelsea / promotion 90. Not even his mediocre second spell could ruin that. It was also a pleasure to watch him play in the mid 80's and I remember how excited I was the day Cooper signed him. :worship2:

Blimey! I didn't realise that Steve Lansdown had named me personally....did he name any other of our previous managers many critics? dunno.gif

Funny enough....but he didn't actually name you at all.....or anyone else for that matter.....so why on earth have i jumped to such a conclusion? Having said that....you do seem to fit the description..........oooh...i know....i'll just let everybody else decide who they think SL was talking about!

dancing6.gif

Oh. It one thread you say that SL named me and then in this one you say he didn't name me or anyone else for that matter.

fastasleep.gif

Your right! For some strange reason i seem to have jumped to this conclusion......still it should be of no worry to you......unless you think SL was implying you?

innocent06.gif

More like Ward stepped down in a hissy fit when he didn't get to work with Ray Harford & Ward's version of being "out of his depth" was leaving City in the bottom 6.

Johnson led City to a play-off final and a respectable top 10 finish. The first time we looked like finishing in the bottom half he agreed to leave without having the remaining 3 years of his contract paid up.

Hardly comparible, except in agenda-land.

So are you telling GJ said to SL ' no it's ok you keep my remaining three years of pay, I dont need it' Or maybe, he never had much of a choice, especially if rumours of what happened in the away dresing room at Plymouth are to be believed.

• Admin

So are you telling GJ said to SL ' no it's ok you keep my remaining three years of pay, I dont need it' Or maybe, he never had much of a choice, especially if rumours of what happened in the away dresing room at Plymouth are to be believed.

Whilst the rumours of what happened that night clearly had an impact, that sort of situation can get messy but is no means guaranteed to ensure we could sack without compensation. Look at Fergie at Man U & Beckham etc.

The fact remains that GJ agreed to leave with the minimum of fuss in the end and much of that will in the end be to do with the additional factor of league position.

Had we been sitting in 4th and the same (rumoured) event taken place, do you think he'd have left?

Archived