IGNORED

Chris Iwelumo

healey robins

Anyone think Big Chris would come back to AG next season.

Living in wolves and being surrounded by their fans, we're welcome to him, e-blake, kightly, practically any forward that aint Doyle.

but it depends on who the manager is, may not fit the style of play.

Don't think we need him really...

Maynard and Haynes up front will do me.

Agreed. Signing a target man simply send out the wrong message imo. They are usefull in the lower leagues but far less effective in the CCC. Hardly any other team use them regularly.

Agreed. Signing a target man simply send out the wrong message imo. They are usefull in the lower leagues but far less effective in the CCC. Hardly any other team use them regularly.

Off the top of my head,

Newcastle - Carroll

WBA - Bednar

Sheff U - Henderson

Watford - Helguson

Derby - Hulse

Preston - The Beast, Mellor

Reading - Sigurdson

Plymouth - Fallon

Blackpool - Burgess

Most of the above have had decent season's.

Off the top of my head,

Newcastle - Carroll

WBA - Bednar

Sheff U - Henderson

Watford - Helguson

Derby - Hulse

Reading - Sigurdson

Plymouth - Fallon

Blackpool - Burgess

...yeah, but apart from them wink.gif.....

Barnsley - Bogdanovic

Blackpool - Burgess

Bristol City - Agyemang, Iwelumo, Akinde, Haynes

Cardiff - Bothroyd

Coventry - Morrisson

Palace - Lee

Derby - Hulse

Doncaster - Sharp

Ipswich -

Leicester - Howard

Middlesbrough -

Newcastle - Carroll

Forest - Adebola

Peterborough - McLean

Plymouth -

Preston - Mellor, Parkin

QPR -

Reading -

Scunny -

Sheff Utd - Henderson

Sheff Wed - Tugay

Swansea - Pintado

Watford - Priskin

West Brom - Bednar

And I'm sure there are some players to fill in the gaps, they are still a very important part of the game imo.

Off the top of my head,

Newcastle - Carroll

WBA - Bednar

Sheff U - Henderson

Watford - Helguson

Derby - Hulse

Reading - Sigurdson

Plymouth - Fallon

Blackpool - Burgess

Very few of those are what I'd call a traditional target man. Many of them have more to their game than being tall and able to head the ball. How you call Fallon a target man is ridiculous.

I notice to omit Steve Howard who I would describe as a target man.

Very few of those are what I'd call a traditional target man. Many of them have more to their game than being tall and able to head the ball. How you call Fallon a target man is ridiculous.

Why isn't Fallon a target man?

Billy Sharp a target-man?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a good target man, every side needs one in some capacity. But there's a difference between a big lump a la Adebola and a genuine target man who can play football. From what I've read this seems to be why Adebola is much maligned when he's now up against a footballing target man in Blackstock.

You look at the likes of Carroll and you'd obviously take somebody like him. The top scorers list features guys like Hulse and Henderson who always score goals, and I'm sure they'd be welcome as well seeing as they do the target man's job in a very reliable way. Likewise Iwelumo.

Billy Sharp a target-man?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a good target man, every side needs one in some capacity. But there's a difference between a big lump a la Adebola and a genuine target man who can play football. From what I've read this seems to be why Adebola is much maligned when he's now up against a footballing target man in Blackstock.

You look at the likes of Carroll and you'd obviously take somebody like him. The top scorers list features guys like Hulse and Henderson who always score goals, and I'm sure they'd be welcome as well seeing as they do the target man's job in a very reliable way. Likewise Iwelumo.

Against us they'd pump the ball up to him and he'd chest it/control it and then lay it back into them every time and for a bloke his size he does this very well.

Why isn't Fallon a target man?

In his prime Fallon was very skillfull and pacy. Good player at Swindon who scored a stunning overhead kick from 18 yards out against City some years ago. I don't remember either Swindon or Plymouth lumping 40 yards ball upto him. No way could he described as a target man imo.

Off the top of my head,

Newcastle - Carroll

WBA - Bednar

Sheff U - Henderson

Watford - Helguson

Derby - Hulse

Reading - Sigurdson

Plymouth - Fallon

Blackpool - Burgess

Gylfi Sigurdson? A target man? Really? When I watched him tear us apart he played in midfield and didn't look much taller than little Lee

Gylfi Sigurdson? A target man? Really? When I watched him tear us apart he played in midfield and didn't look much taller than little Lee

OK maybe not, he's listed as a midfielder, but he's a bit taller than LJ at 6 ft 1 !

I'll have Raziak instead then.

Really hope the new manager has a more sophisticated approach to scoring goals than lumping it upfield for a big man to chase.

Maynard and Haynes/another pacy striker like Mackail-Smith would be my ideal front pairing.

Mackail - Smith is a real hard worker a typical GJ type of player so i can't see him leaving Peterboro

Fallen is dog sh**

Iwelumu for me with Akinde as back up

I quite liked George Boyd but he wont leave Forest

I dont think we need a target man - I would be very happy to continue with Maynard & Haynes.

But Iwelumo is quality - if he becomes available, we simply HAVE to get him - when he was here we were playing very poorly - but his flick ons we're going in all the right places - he was ten times better than dele in the air - If we had him now, we would be unstoppable.

I might be doing the guy a bit of an disservice here, but my overriding memory of his loan spell was how he spoke to the press on numerous occasions and only ever sounded interested in getting back into the Wolves side/Premier League as quickly as possible, rather than in doing a job for us.

Barnsley - Bogdanovic

Blackpool - Burgess

Cardiff - Bothroyd

Coventry - Morrisson

Palace - Lee

Derby - Hulse

Doncaster - Sharp

Ipswich -

Leicester - Howard

Middlesbrough -

Newcastle - Carroll

Forest - Adebola

Peterborough - McLean

Plymouth -

Preston - Mellor, Parkin

QPR -

Reading -

Scunny -

Sheff Utd - Henderson

Sheff Wed - Tugay

Swansea - Pintado

Watford - Priskin

West Brom - Bednar

And I'm sure there are some players to fill in the gaps, they are still a very important part of the game imo.

How can you list Haynes as a target man? I'd also disagree with the likes of Sharp, Bogdanovic and Mclean. I guess the arguement, is whether people consider a target man someone who can simply hold the ball up and bring others into play, or a big lump who wins a lot in the air and provides countless knock downs and flick ons. I'd suggest the first is more a controlled skill, and does not neccessarily make you a target man.

I agree most teams have moved on to the target man + type role, just being a "lump up front" is no longer good enough in this league. I liked Iwelumo because I thought he did this target man + type role very well.

Barnsley - Bogdanovic

Blackpool - Burgess

Cardiff - Bothroyd

Coventry - Morrisson

Palace - Lee

Derby - Hulse

Doncaster - Sharp

Ipswich -

Leicester - Howard

Middlesbrough -

Newcastle - Carroll

Forest - Adebola

Peterborough - McLean

Plymouth -

Preston - Mellor, Parkin

QPR -

Reading -

Scunny -

Sheff Utd - Henderson

Sheff Wed - Tugay

Swansea - Pintado

Watford - Priskin

West Brom - Bednar

Bogdanovis is hardly a target man, neither is Haynes, Morrison, Sharp, McLean to an extent, Tugay and Priskin is better with the ball at his feet. Howard doesn't play for Leicester much anymore, and Pintado has scored something like 2 goals this year. Apart from that, it's a very good list...

I might be doing the guy a bit of an disservice here, but my overriding memory of his loan spell was how he spoke to the press on numerous occasions and only ever sounded interested in getting back into the Wolves side/Premier League as quickly as possible, rather than in doing a job for us.

Yet, he gave 100% on the pitch for us at all times. Sometimes seemed more passionate than our 'permanent' players.

I agree most teams have moved on to the target man + type role, just being a "lump up front" is no longer good enough in this league. I liked Iwelumo because I thought he did this target man + type role very well.

Playing a 'target man' regularly in the CCC smacks of lack of sophistication and encourages the long whooosh up the pitch. Its a low percentage tactic and simple enough to defend against. No problem bringing on a lump up front when chasing a game but overall its an approach I hate to see.

That said, Iwelumo was probably the best one of that type we've seen at AG and his goal at Palace was a top finish but its no surprise he can't get a game at Wolves in the PL.

Playing a 'target man' regularly in the CCC smacks of lack of sophistication and encourages the long whooosh up the pitch. Its a low percentage tactic and simple enough to defend against. No problem bringing on a lump up front when chasing a game but overall its an approach I hate to see.

That said, Iwelumo was probably the best one of that type we've seen at AG and his goal at Palace was a top finish but its no surprise he can't get a game at Wolves in the PL.

This is what I mean by target man+, its basically just a tall footballer that has a large presence and lets the stronger defenders in the league know they cant just bully our other strikers + being able to be skill full on the ball, 2 of these types of strikers would give most defences in this league a hell of a pounding. At the moment if we played a team that had fast defenders I think we would find it harder to score.

Saying that, having this type of player in midfield breaking forward might work a little better keeping the 2 fast guys up front. I guess if knew what was best I would make money out of it!

This is what I mean by target man+, its basically just a tall footballer that has a large presence and lets the stronger defenders in the league know they cant just bully our other strikers + being able to be skill full on the ball, 2 of these types of strikers would give most defences in this league a hell of a pounding. At the moment if we played a team that had fast defenders I think we would find it harder to score.

Saying that, having this type of player in midfield breaking forward might work a little better keeping the 2 fast guys up front. I guess if knew what was best I would make money out of it!

The higher up the divisions you go the better quality players you get. Defenders are more accomplished than the majority in Div 1 and Div 2 and so are the strikers. Thats why we see so few teams using whooosh tactics upto a lump of a target man. Most teams in the CCC try to play decent football. Its also why long punts into the box return such a low percentage.

When City were using different lumps up front the football was not only dire to watch but ineffective as well. Now without one City are playing some decent attractive football and relying on the pace, movement and skill of the strikers to create and score goals. I think City played one longish ball all game against Swansea and it was great to see. Someone posted on the forum about it.

I can accept that bringing on a lump when chasing a game can be usefull sometimes but I wouldn't miss long punts up the pitch if I never saw one again.

Brooker at his best was the type of striker who was strong, powerfull, good in the air and able to fend off defenders but in no way was he a target man. Darius Henderson and Rob Hulse are in a simliar mould. If either of those became available I'd love to see one at City.

Archived