IGNORED

Chris Iwelumo

healey robins

The higher up the divisions you go the better quality players you get. Defenders are more accomplished than the majority in Div 1 and Div 2 and so are the strikers. Thats why we see so few teams using whooosh tactics upto a lump of a target man. Most teams in the CCC try to play decent football. Its also why long punts into the box return such a low percentage.

When City were using different lumps up front the football was not only dire to watch but ineffective as well. Now without one City are playing some decent attractive football and relying on the pace, movement and skill of the strikers to create and score goals. I think City played one longish ball all game against Swansea and it was great to see. Someone posted on the forum about it.

I can accept that bringing on a lump when chasing a game can be usefull sometimes but I wouldn't miss long punts up the pitch if I never saw one again.

Brooker at his best was the type of striker who was strong, powerfull, good in the air and able to fend off defenders but in no way was he a target man. Darius Henderson and Rob Hulse are in a simliar mould. If either of those became available I'd love to see one at City.

So who are/were these 'lumps' you refer to ? We may have played a dozen games at most this season with a big guy up front and the defenders didn't always 'lump' it up.

And can you explain the difference between Iwelumo & Hulse/Henderson. I seem to remember we had one of our best performances of the season v WBA when Iwelumo played and we didn't necessarily 'lump' it up to him all match. He has similar attributes to Hulse/Henderson yet you'd love them to come but not CI. Not for the first time I'm confused by your logic.

As for 'long punts' I've lost count of the number of times in the last few games where Carey has 'punted' it diagonally 50/60 yards to Maynard to run on to/get behind the defence, and as a tactic it seems to work.

The higher up the divisions you go the better quality players you get. Defenders are more accomplished than the majority in Div 1 and Div 2 and so are the strikers. Thats why we see so few teams using whooosh tactics upto a lump of a target man. Most teams in the CCC try to play decent football. Its also why long punts into the box return such a low percentage.

When City were using different lumps up front the football was not only dire to watch but ineffective as well. Now without one City are playing some decent attractive football and relying on the pace, movement and skill of the strikers to create and score goals. I think City played one longish ball all game against Swansea and it was great to see. Someone posted on the forum about it.

I can accept that bringing on a lump when chasing a game can be usefull sometimes but I wouldn't miss long punts up the pitch if I never saw one again.

Brooker at his best was the type of striker who was strong, powerfull, good in the air and able to fend off defenders but in no way was he a target man. Darius Henderson and Rob Hulse are in a simliar mould. If either of those became available I'd love to see one at City.

I agree I dont ever want to see whoosh ball but having that big player gives you more options and I wouldn't class Iwelumo as a lump up front/traditional target man because he can do stuff with his feet and always thought he was pretty good with his feet and averagely fast for this league.

The problem with having a tall person up front isn't a problem with the tall person if your keeping the ball on the ground and passing it around, eventually getting his head on some crosses (real crosses, not crosses from the halfway line) but as soon as you start lumping the ball to him then it does become a problem - not his problem though, its the problem of the person lumping it to him.

A fit Clarkson with a proper preseason behind him (as opposed to one disrupted by illness) should provide us with a decent physical presence.

Though smaller than a traditional targetman, Haynes looks decent to me in the air and his pace can make something out of a long ball.

Assuming we don't lose anyone in the Summer I think we have enough striking options in Maynard, Haynes, Clarkson and Akinde to challenge at the top end of the league. The priorities are elsewhere (defence) in my opinion.

I agree I dont ever want to see whoosh ball but having that big player gives you more options and I wouldn't class Iwelumo as a lump up front/traditional target man because he can do stuff with his feet and always thought he was pretty good with his feet and averagely fast for this league.

The problem with having a tall person up front isn't a problem with the tall person if your keeping the ball on the ground and passing it around, eventually getting his head on some crosses (real crosses, not crosses from the halfway line) but as soon as you start lumping the ball to him then it does become a problem - not his problem though, its the problem of the person lumping it to him.

Your second point is exactly what happened when City were playing Adebola. Big Dele was decent enough on the ground but he rarely got the ball to his feet. On some of the occaisions that did he scored some good goals - against Wolves at AG for example.

We'll never know if lumping balls upto him was a pre planned tactic or just lack of imagination from the defence who were largely responsible for hoofing the ball.

If City signed Iwelumo or someone like him in the summer I would be worried that we would see a return to the dreadfull long ball stuff. Not the individual players fault as you say but it is so easy for the defenders to take route one rather than play through the team.

All about having a 'play football' mindset from the manager I guess.

Your second point is exactly what happened when City were playing Adebola. Big Dele was decent enough on the ground but he rarely got the ball to his feet. On some of the occaisions that did he scored some good goals - against Wolves at AG for example.

We'll never know if lumping balls upto him was a pre planned tactic or just lack of imagination from the defence who were largely responsible for hoofing the ball.

If City signed Iwelumo or someone like him in the summer I would be worried that we would see a return to the dreadfull long ball stuff. Not the individual players fault as you say but it is so easy for the defenders to take route one rather than play through the team.

All about having a 'play football' mindset from the manager I guess.

Its a valid concern, I would be concerned as well but I dont think you can sacrifice having a top championship striker thats tall because the defense might hit it long - they need to have that learnt out of them.

As for your last comment I think thats a little bit fishing as you know my point of view on GJ and how he wanted us to play football and not lump it forward but you cant stop the players sometimes\all the time.

Archived