IGNORED

New Manager Poll

Banksy

250 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

However, I think it's Simply Red on here that says the same, he's been part of the failed Tinnion era and the Johnson era that stalled. How he keeps his job when all this is going on around him is staggering.

You say that as though the past few years have been a complete disaster. It's not as though we've been through a succession of managers who've all failed. We've had 2 in 6 years and made a hell of a lot of forward progress in that time, which Millen has been a major part of.

The Tinnion era failed due to inexperience and Tinnion's various failings. The intentions were generally sound it was just the execution that failed.

The Johnson era stalled when Johnson was unable to adapt his methods to suit the players he'd acquired. For 4 out of 5 years there was reasonable progress being made.

I don't think Millen is ready to be City manager just now but I think he has a lot to offer and will continue to add value working with a new manager (hopefully Coppell).

I must say that I'm not a big fan of 'Directors of Football'. There may well be exceptions but it seems to me that in general they don't tend to last. Wasn't Sven appointed DOF at Notts County at the start of this season?

I think that a lot of them find themselves disillusioned in the job after a short time as they end up becoming 'piggy in the middle' between the board and the manager/coach. Club decisions often end up being taken over their head whilst at the same time they find themselves unable to influence matters on the pitch or training ground. As a lot of them are ex-managers (as Coppell would be) they end up yearning to get involved with the team and therefore end up leaving for a managers job.

As I say, there may be exceptions and hopefully at our club under SL, a DOF may be one of these. For me though, it has to be Coppell as manager and Millie as number 2.

Pleasing to see there are only 2 numpties people (less than 1% of the vote) who don't want to see Millen involved in some way. I think he's proved himself not to be Johnson/Tinnion's 'yes-man' and the man responsible for our awful defence, but a very good coach.

Just been thinking about this and came up with this,

O'Driscoll - Manager

Millen - Assistant Manager

Coppell - Director of Football

That would be my no.1 scenario, not sure if Coppell would want to be a director of football mind you!

I don't think Sean O'Driscoll will be in the frame now, as I guess we'd have to make a formal approach to Donny before we could even speak to him. If that is the case, it would be hard to keep that secret, so we would have heard about that already.

Copello with Milly as No.2. Maybe even a director of football if it was a possibility. I think whatever happens we need to keep Milly as the constant, somewhere within the club as that will help provide continuity which in turn increases the chance of success.

Promotion next season, Yes Please!

Why are people keen on a DOF?! I cant think of one success story of a club with a DOF in place. It always results in arguments between the manager and DOF.

I guess the DOF label has been tarnished over the years and the new term seems to be 'Sporting Director'. One club where this role worked well was Reading!

A key aspect of the role is to take contract negotiations away from the manager, meaning that (if negotiations don't go well) the relationship between the manager/player is protected.

Additionally, in the modern world, deals to secure players can be protracted and complex, and negotiations require a different skill set to those traditionally associated with a football manager, hence the desire to separate the roles.

The success (or failure) of this role is the definition of roles and responsibilties. I understand City are putting a lot of effort into this, with Coppell and Millen, to ensure this is clear and all parties are happy with it, before announcing the new structure, with Coppell at the helm.

I don't know if City will be appointing a DOF or Sporting Director but, if they do, we will have a manager that has previously demonstrated that he can operate within such a structure.

Archived