IGNORED

Who Was The Best (johnson Era) City Striker?

Guest Roofio

Guest Roofio

Have you ever wondered who City's best striker was during the Johnson era? I must have witnessed this pub debate a million times. I got so sick of it, I decided to end all the arguments once and for all.

So here it is.....'the best striker to play for Gary Johnson'........

Steve Brooker

First number = Average number of goals per game.

Second number = Goals per game ratio ( 1: 2.7 = 1 goal every 2.7 games)

League table of strikers

1. Steve Brooker 0.366 = 1: 2.7

2. Nicky Maynard 0.345 = 1: 2.8

3. Dele Adebola 0.295 = 1: 3.5

4. Enoch Showunmi 0.260 = 1: 3.8

5. Phil Jevons 0.255 = 1: 3.9

6. Darren Byfield 0.242 = 1: 4.1

7. Danny Haynes 0.194 = 1: 5.1

8. Marcus Stewart 0.185 = 1: 5.4

9. David Clarkson 0.176 = 1: 5.6

10. Lee Trundle 0.132 = 1: 7.5

11. John Akinde 0.1 = 1: 10

12. Alvaro Saborio 0.095 = 1: 10.5

13. Stern John 0.083 = 1: 12

14. David Noble 0.082 = 1: 12.1

15. Bas Savage 0.043 = 1: 23

NOTE TO MODS: You are welcome to put this in the next printed edition of 'OTIB'.

I was thinking about this when clicking on the thread title and, genuinely, my initial thought was Brooker. He formed a lethal partnership with Lita in his first season, scored some cracking goals in his second and battled through injury problems to perform admirably towards the end of his City career, I remember a quick flurry at the beginning of last season before he went on his way.. Had he not been blighted by injuries I think he could have gone further, where Maynard will end up.

Maynard and Adebola scored all their goals in the Championship against much better players. Most of Brooker's were in the league below.

By your yardstick Ricky Lambert is better than Wayne Rooney.

And Brooks was injured so much I rather suspect his 1 in every 2.7 games really did account for 1 goal in the 2.7 games he managed to get in under GJ! and were your figures based on his goals only in the Johnson era? He had a good record under Tins, didn't he?

Keeping injury free is also a requirement of a good striker - how highly do you rate Michael Owne these days?

What we did see of Brooker looked good as did Lee Matthews, but they weren't fit enough of the time. The table of goals per game when they were on our books, rather than actually played, would read very differently. Nicky Maynard would clearly be the winner.

Have you ever wondered who City's best striker was during the Johnson era? I must have witnessed this pub debate a million times. I got so sick of it, I decided to end all the arguments once and for all.

So here it is.....'the best striker to play for Gary Johnson'........

Steve Brooker

First number = Average number of goals per game.

Second number = Goals per game ratio ( 1: 2.7 = 1 goal every 2.7 games)

League table of strikers

1. Steve Brooker 0.366 = 1: 2.7

2. Nicky Maynard 0.345 = 1: 2.8

3. Dele Adebola 0.295 = 1: 3.5

4. Enoch Showunmi 0.260 = 1: 3.8

5. Phil Jevons 0.255 = 1: 3.9

6. Darren Byfield 0.242 = 1: 4.1

7. Danny Haynes 0.194 = 1: 5.1

8. Marcus Stewart 0.185 = 1: 5.4

9. David Clarkson 0.176 = 1: 5.6

10. Lee Trundle 0.132 = 1: 7.5

11. John Akinde 0.1 = 1: 10

12. Alvaro Saborio 0.095 = 1: 10.5

13. Stern John 0.083 = 1: 12

14. David Noble 0.082 = 1: 12.1

15. Bas Savage 0.043 = 1: 23

NOTE TO MODS: You are welcome to put this in the next printed edition of 'OTIB'.

And city league games per year

Brooker 101/5 = 20.2

Maynard 82/2 = 41

If Maynard plays the next 3, he will have averaged out 42.5 games out of 46 in his two seasons here. Fit, fit, fit

Maynard has a far better record than Brooker because of the quality faced.

Maynard is a handful for Championship defenders. Brooker was a handful for L1 defenders.

Jamie McCombe is a good League One defender. Yet he couldn't lace the boots of decent CCC defenders.

Maynard performs consistently in a level far above that which Brooker operated in.

So for me, Maynard is by far the best striker we have had for a long time now.

Is this averaged out of minutes on the pitch or have you included substitute appearances as a whole 90 mins on the pitch? I suspect that Clarkson might be a little higher up the list as he has scored quite a few goals coming on as a sub in the last 10-20 min

As for Brooker, the problem he always had was that he was not a natural athlete and athleticism is part of the modern game. Had he been able to stay fit i imagine he would have done well at CCC level and I think a fit Brooker COULD have got us promoted in our first season back at this level

No doubt that Maynard has been the best, but a fit Steve Brooker was awesome. They would've made a great pairing, power and pace.

Agree 100%.

I didn't realise that there had been so many strikers in the last 5 seasons and the list doesn't include Mark McGammon or Barry Corr.

Nicky for me - he's come on so much since the start of last season, he looked lightweight at Blackpool - compare him to the next time we play at Blackpool :fingerscrossed: and we're talking two different players

Adebola's record speaks for itself - but so does city's fall after he came in, Johnson changed our style to relying on the target man which is easily sussed out

Great for his selflessness, power, hard work and experience though

Maynard and Adebola scored all their goals in the Championship against much better players. Most of Brooker's were in the league below.

By your yardstick Ricky Lambert is better than Wayne Rooney.

I still think we should have signed LAMBERT. he knows where the goal is. hes a good striker. I think he will do well in the championship.although ? yes he played for them (the gas)

You can't not give credit to Showunmi and Jevons, as it was those two which scored the goals that took us.

In the first season back in the Championship you've got to say Byfield and McCombe scored vitally important goals for us.

But in terms of impressiveness, Maynard and Adebola have to be the best.

But in terms of impressiveness, Maynard and Adebola have to be the best.

I'm taking a guess but I reckon Maynard has probably scored more goals when playing with Haynes. The two together look very impressive and imo better than Adebola and Maynard.

I like the pace and movement they both provide.

There's no doubt Brooker was quality when fit. I do think the 'goals to game' ratio is a little unfair to the likes of Darren Byfield though. The season he was here, he was top scorer and if I recall correctly, made most (or at least a lot) of his appearances from the bench late in games.

Although he was no spring chicken, I never agreed with us getting rid of him at the time. I think a 'goals to minutes on the park' ratio would see him further up the list.

For me Adebola or Jevons.

Adebola, because no matter what anyone says that guy kept hold of the ball once he had it and he linked well with Trundle during that play off season. I just remember the wolves game he was absolute quality that day. If only we had him 5 years earlier!

Jevons, he may not of had the pace but he could score and was always in the right place at the right time and I was surprised he was let go, I thought he could of done a job for us in this league to. The stand out goal was Bournemouth away last few minutes. He was a vital part of our promotion team.

Archived