IGNORED

Lee Johnson

luke_bristol

Amazing how often we read that.

Sno's probably not staying and Hartley's been getting worse since the start of the bad run that lost us GJ.

Can't see him starting much in a 4-4-2, mind.

He was immense for the first few games under Millen actually. Seems off the boil now, perhap due to having nowt to play for.

LJ may get kept as cover if Coppell wants to play 433 and Hartley and Williams leave. Otherwise, I doubt it.

He did play very well off the bench yesterday.

I agree with this.

Personally I rekon he'll go to another Championship side, then lets all watch his career degress.

My bet would be that he joins Coventry or a team in that mould.

How about him going to Peterborough, I would have thought it is the only place where he will be assured of regular football.

What is he then ?

A holding player, or a tough tackler. His main role is not to score goals, it is to provide solidity in the midfield, like De Jong for Man City. However he does drive forward at times and is more positive than LJ in many ways. To suggest he's a creative midfielder is absurd.

A holding player, or a tough tackler. His main role is not to score goals, it is to provide solidity in the midfield, like De Jong for Man City. However he does drive forward at times and is more positive than LJ in many ways. To suggest he's a creative midfielder is absurd.

Correct. Cole's favoured position is that of a 'holding' midfielder sitting in front of the back 4 and breaking up play and distributing the ball from there.

Coppell tried to sign Cole a few years ago so I expect him to be retained in the summer and hold his place in the first 11.

It's funny hwo some people have completely blinkered opinions of players.

For the record I am niether an LJ lover or hater, and try to keep off these threads as much as possible as they serve no purpose.

IMO any nuetral observer would have a very different opinion than many on here.

from a purely footballing viewpoint we saw many different midfield stories yesterday. During his time on the pitch yesterday Hartley was completely outplayed by a much older player - Savage. love him or hate him savage's influence on the midfield yesterday was far superior than any of our midfield, with Hartley showing why he has been a great dissapointment to me, no pace, no stamina and no interest.

When LJ came on Savage knew he had to up his game as LJ was closing him down, tackling him and getting under his skin which made him lose his composure, as we were creating more chances with LJ on the pitch than without him.

Whatever decision SC makes regarding our current crop of players lets support him and leave the personal vendettas to one side, it's amazing what togetherness can achieve.

from a purely footballing viewpoint we saw many different midfield stories yesterday. During his time on the pitch yesterday Hartley was completely outplayed by a much older player - Savage. love him or hate him savage's influence on the midfield yesterday was far superior than any of our midfield, with Hartley showing why he has been a great dissapointment to me, no pace, no stamina and no interest.

Hartley was even worse at Wednesday away and apparently shite at Scunny too. Don't know if he's played too many games and his age is catching up with him or what but he's been out of sorts recently.

I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him leave in the summer, there must be better options out there.

I only asked because the goals against column doesn't make for good reading and we've also conceded a few goals this season where CS has given the ball away/been caught out of position.

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike him just think he's slightly overrated.

He was immense for the first few games under Millen actually. Seems off the boil now, perhap due to having nowt to play for.

Yeah he was good for 2 or 3 games. Kinda concerns me, perhaps because I saw him as a future captain of City.

Who knows, maybe he's got marriage difficulties because of the distance. Not trying to speculate but from our ignorant fan perspective, maybe LJ is needed.

It had already been happening before Millen took over. Lee Johnson was the least used of all the centre midfielders this season under Gary Johnson and as you point out he loaned him to Derby.

That's not entirely correct if you include Williams who many myself included consider is capable of making more of a positive contribution. And Sno, who was consistently played out of position, not to mention maybe one or two of the academy players who maybe could have been given more of an opportunity.

Before Millen took over, Johnson wasn't that far behind Elliott, and then if you strip out the games where Elliot was against his wishes played wide rather than in the centre, only Hartley and possibly Skuse (who don't forget played right back and wide midfield in many games) played more often than Johnson at centre midfield.

Johnson loaned Johnson to Derby in the knowledge that he couldnt justify his inclusion following the infamous and short-lived rotation policy. The beginning of his downfall was bringing Johnson back from Derby and putting him back in the team.

I can see LJ staying under Coppell.

And thats the bottom line.

I'm not sure when LJ's contract is up but I suspect that he will not feature is Coppells plans and be off during the January window. Coppell will want more from a midfielder that being able to cover 13k in a game and link the play, a decent number of assists and goals for a start.

The defence will be the priority but the midfield runs a close second when it comes to summer signings.

That's not entirely correct if you include Williams who many myself included consider is capable of making more of a positive contribution. And Sno, who was consistently played out of position, not to mention maybe one or two of the academy players who maybe could have been given more of an opportunity.

Before Millen took over, Johnson wasn't that far behind Elliott, and then if you strip out the games where Elliot was against his wishes played wide rather than in the centre, only Hartley and possibly Skuse (who don't forget played right back and wide midfield in many games) played more often than Johnson at centre midfield.

Johnson loaned Johnson to Derby in the knowledge that he couldnt justify his inclusion following the infamous and short-lived rotation policy. The beginning of his downfall was bringing Johnson back from Derby and putting him back in the team.

I meant less appearances than the centre midfielders Millen played but I take your point.

Regarding the rotation policy its possibly worth noting that Hartley has been less affective in recent games following being asked to play every game. That may be coincidence or other factors of course but it could also be that he struggles playing lots of consecutive games.

I think the beginning of his downfall was a number of factors. I wouldnt highlight that one in particular as more relavant than others really.

I meant less appearances than the centre midfielders Millen played but I take your point.

Regarding the rotation policy its possibly worth noting that Hartley has been less affective in recent games following being asked to play every game. That may be coincidence or other factors of course but it could also be that he struggles playing lots of consecutive games.

I think the beginning of his downfall was a number of factors. I wouldnt highlight that one in particular as more relavant than others really.

You may be right there were several factors but the Johnson/Johnson situation caused resentment among some of the players. Sending him to Derby was the best possible thing Johnson could have done; bringing him back the worst.

Not sure if I agree entirely about Hartley. His near faultless performance in the first match under Millen showed what a class act he is (the improvement possibly/probably linked to the above). While he was never going to keep that up, I think he's played well, albeit tiring in some games towards the end. But then he covers more ground than some people I think give him credit for. In most games he produces a handful of moments that only possibly Skuse would also be capable of.

You may be right there were several factors but the Johnson/Johnson situation caused resentment among some of the players. Sending him to Derby was the best possible thing Johnson could have done; bringing him back the worst.

Not sure if I agree entirely about Hartley. His near faultless performance in the first match under Millen showed what a class act he is (the improvement possibly/probably linked to the above). While he was never going to keep that up, I think he's played well, albeit tiring in some games towards the end. But then he covers more ground than some people I think give him credit for. In most games he produces a handful of moments that only possibly Skuse would also be capable of.

Possibly. I cant recall the timing now but didnt Sno injure his back and Elliott do his groin around that sort of time limiting the options? I tend to agree tho that it would of been better for the club and the player if he'd taken up the option to stay at Derby.

I actually think only Skuse will survive under Coppell long term in cerntre mid. Elliott might if he can refind his first season form under Coppell which is possible. But I think Johnson and Hartley will both be moved on as Coppell likes high energy midfielders who get box to box which you need with two wingers. Interesting and exciting summer ahead for sure.

And thats the bottom line.

I'm not sure when LJ's contract is up but I suspect that he will not feature is Coppells plans and be off during the January window. Coppell will want more from a midfielder that being able to cover 13k in a game and link the play, a decent number of assists and goals for a start.

The defence will be the priority but the midfield runs a close second when it comes to summer signings.

You obviously didn't read KITR's post.

I only asked because the goals against column doesn't make for good reading and we've also conceded a few goals this season where CS has given the ball away/been caught out of position.

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike him just think he's slightly overrated.

I see your point, but imo he's had a fantastic season and it's no coincidence that he's started in EVERY win this season. His main aim is to break-up play and get in the oppositions face, LJ's is to provide a creative spark, so to compare there goal/assists records, even though Skuse's is in fact better (granted he's played a lot more) is hardly fair.

Archived