IGNORED

Scouting

City1984

Sorry if this has already been duscussed but does anybody know what the situation is with our scouting network?

Is the taxi driver still in charge or even still here?

I ask because as happy as I am with SC being our main man and as excited at the type of players he could attract it seems he has always had an excellent scouting network backing him up who do all the leg work and it is them who find these hidden gems and players that could make the difference.

So to sum up my point

crap scouting network = crap prospects.

Sorry if this has already been duscussed but does anybody know what the situation is with our scouting network?

Is the taxi driver still in charge or even still here?

I ask because as happy as I am with SC being our main man and as excited at the type of players he could attract it seems he has always had an excellent scouting network backing him up who do all the leg work and it is them who find these hidden gems and players that could make the difference.

So to sum up my point

I belive Coppell said in his first interview that he was going to work with all the stuff currently at the club (assume that means the scouts aswell?!) and would guage the situation and work out which areas need strengthening in the team and back room staff

id be willing to bet that Pete will be north of London within a month anyway....

So to sum up my point

Late 1960's City signed up some of the successful Bristol Boys team; Merrick, Tainton etc.

Mid 70's Paul Cheeseley from Gordano had been completely missed by City, but not by Norwich for whom he signed leaving City to buy him. Watching the England Under 18s the other night there was a talented guy on the right from............ Gloucestershire.

It truly seems that not just recently, but for 40 years now City's scouting has gone downhill at a local level, yet the number and quality of Scots signed in that same timespan bhas been incredible.

Recently it's gone uphill if anything.

There seems to be a lot of moaning about Pete Johnson going on, and I must admit that some recent signings, especially foreign ones (Styvar, Saborio) haven't worked out, but think back to the Wilson days. Wilson seemed to sign whatever garbage was touted to him by an agent. I know that some supporters at the time made recommendations to him that were treated with contempt. These suggestions included players such as McIndoe and Paul Parry, both of whom were available for peanuts from Yeovil and Hereford, but Wilson ignored them and spent something in the region of £100k on Marc Goodfellow. OK he did help us get to the playoff final, but where is he now?

Pete and Gary Johnson got us Elliot, Noble, McCombe, Basso, Fontaine and McAllister. All little-known players signed for relatively small fees who have turned out to be at least competent Championship players.

Recently it's gone uphill if anything.

There seems to be a lot of moaning about Pete Johnson going on, and I must admit that some recent signings, especially foreign ones (Styvar, Saborio) haven't worked out, but think back to the Wilson days. Wilson seemed to sign whatever garbage was touted to him by an agent. I know that some supporters at the time made recommendations to him that were treated with contempt. These suggestions included players such as McIndoe and Paul Parry, both of whom were available for peanuts from Yeovil and Hereford, but Wilson ignored them and spent something in the region of £100k on Marc Goodfellow. OK he did help us get to the playoff final, but where is he now?

Pete and Gary Johnson got us Elliot, Noble, McCombe, Basso, Fontaine and McAllister. All little-known players signed for relatively small fees who have turned out to be at least competent Championship players.

Agree. Pete Johnson's interviews on World were very well received by 99% on here up until a few months ago.

Agree. Pete Johnson's interviews on World were very well received by 99% on here up until a few months ago.

As were GJs :P

Keith Millen was also responsible for our defensive problems earlier in the season too. Where's that talk gone?

Again with Pete we don't know how much involvement he has in which signings we make. We don't know how much GJ listened.

Archived