IGNORED

Bristolian Manager

beaverface

When applying for a passport the other day, put in my postcode which is BS4 and it come up with the County of Somerset, i don't see why a goverment website would supply incorrect information. Its a ****ed up situation with some people still even saying Avon, there needs to be real clarity on the situation.

Im sure it does say welcome to Bristol because if it said welcome to Somerset it would confuse the hell out of people, imagine the look on there faces! :D

Its because since "avon" went walkies people like the royal mail etc dont seem to beleive bristol is a county.

Brilliant. A thread on whether or not Cadbury Heath and possibly some other places are part of Bristol.

All I know is that if Cliff Britton is the only Bristolian to manage a team in the top flight, I certainly don't want that Gas **** to be the second.

The very thought of having to listen to his b*ll*cks on Match of the Day next season fair curdles the blood.

:badmood:

Brilliant. A thread on whether or not Cadbury Heath and possibly some other places are part of Bristol.

All I know is that if Cliff Britton is the only Bristolian to manage a team in the top flight, I certainly don't want that Gas **** to be the second.

The very thought of having to listen to his b*ll*cks on Match of the Day next season fair curdles the blood.

badmood.gif

It WON'T happen!

Bristol was a City and County the only one in the country apart from

the City of London.

In 1973 the Tory goverment distroyed ancient counties across England and created new counties including Avon.

Avon consited of the City of Bristol, part of somerset and part of gloucestershire. The in 1994 the Tory goverment again decided to reorganise the counties again (talk about wasting public money )the city of Bristol bcame a unitry authority and new authorities was created including South Glos and North Somerset.

The Bristol authority remains along the same boundry of the city council and did not take in any greater Bristol area unlike Newport and Cardiff and other cities and towns across England and Wales which took in large rural area adjacent to the city or town.

Depends how you want to look at it. Bristol is a city and county, if somewhere is not in that county, like cadbury heath then how is it part of that city.

So coming from Downend, I should be deemed as coming from Gloucestershire??

I am not a Bristolian either then.

Got it wrong for 30 years I have....

But that is in gloucestershire, it is not in bristol.

Give it a rest luv, Holloway is Bristolian.

Yes, Downend, Hanham, Kingswood are all technically in Gloucestershire as South Glos is only a district.

In reality though, look at it on a map. Bristol has expanded over the years, beyond its county boundary.

Someone from Hanham is hardly going to describe themselves as being from Gloucestershire, end of.

Bristol was a City and County the only one in the country apart from

the City of London.

In 1973 the Tory goverment distroyed ancient counties across England and created new counties including Avon.

Avon consited of the City of Bristol, part of somerset and part of gloucestershire. The in 1994 the Tory goverment again decided to reorganise the counties again (talk about wasting public money )the city of Bristol bcame a unitry authority and new authorities was created including South Glos and North Somerset.

The Bristol authority remains along the same boundry of the city council and did not take in any greater Bristol area unlike Newport and Cardiff and other cities and towns across England and Wales which took in large rural area adjacent to the city or town.

I know this is taking us somewhat off the football trail, but it's always been an interest of mine. The County status was granted by royal charter at the auspices of Edward the 3rd. It was a reward for the Merchants of Bristol for supplying vessels for a battle against the french. In those days the King was not rich enough to own a navy (it would be nearly 200 years before one really existed) so they would borrow or rent ships from the wealthy merchants. At that time Bristol was the only City outside of London that had wealthy enough merchants and suitable ships to help.

The award of County status was a massive thing, giving Bristol almost carte blanche to make it's own laws and raise it's own taxes. They had a huge banquet to celebrate inviting the King and his wife (Phillippa) who was quoted as saying it was the most magnificent feast ever seen. That's not surprising when you consider it cost £700 to put on in a period of time when you could buy 200 acres of land for £100.

As far as what is and isn't Bristol, it's worth noting that even somewhere as geographically close to the centre as Clifton wasn't officially made part of Bristol until the 1830's.

It always seem to me that people outside of the very centre are Bristolian when it suits them, if Holloway claims to Bristolian then thats his choice. I still hope we beat Blackpool though

Some very pedantic people on here as far as Bristol boundaries/geography are concerned. Wonder if they're the same people who refer to fans of any vaguely Greater London team from Watford to Palace as "cockneys"....

The original question was a great one though. Just highlights how much of a football backwater we are and always have been.

This is a great thread!

I haven't enjoyed one like this for a long time!

I'm half tempted to post 'What is the highest transfer fee paid for a Bristolian', just to see what will happen.

In fact........

Archived