IGNORED

Gavin Williams

BristolCityFC1

Has scored twice again today, surely he would be involved in next seasons squad, he has been a great player and i never saw why Johnson didnt play him. What do you all think?

I reckon a goalscoring midfielder isn't a commodity that should be ignored or discarded, simple as that.

We were always told he wasn't fit enough yet he seems to be able to play regularly, and for the full 90 mins. for Yeovil.

I feel he deserves a run in our first team. Does anyone know if his contract is up at the end of the season?

Gavin Williams was consistantly overlooked by the previous administration.

I'm not sure what SC is going to think but I feel that this is a player that comes in and does a good job when called upon. I hope he gets at least a chance to show his value particularly as 442 is likely to suit him more!

I've always had a lot of time for Gavin Willams. I think he is one of the most naturally talented footballers we at the club. I always compare the situation with GW to the one we had with Paul Heffernan. I felt sorry for him as he just didn't get his chance even though he was, in my opinion, one of our better players at the time.

I've always had a lot of time for Gavin Willams. I think he is one of the most naturally talented footballers we at the club. I always compare the situation with GW to the one we had with Paul Heffernan. I felt sorry for him as he just didn't get his chance even though he was, in my opinion, one of our better players at the time.

Totally agree. Say what you like about Tinnion, that was a cracking signing. Made me sad to see him playing for the Gas this season, he's SOOOOO much better than that! :crying:

Has scored twice again today, surely he would be involved in next seasons squad, he has been a great player and i never saw why Johnson didnt play him. What do you all think?

Our previous manager made some strange selection decisions with not only Gavin Williams but several other players - David Noble included. He often opted for hard workers at the expense of more creative and classy players. He was pre-occupied with effort and covering the ground. I seriously doubt that Coppell will have a similar attitude if his Reading sides are anything to judge by.

Williams could be one of the first on the team sheet if Coppell gets to see what he's capable of producing.

Our previous manager made some strange selection decisions with not only Gavin Williams but several other players - David Noble included. He often opted for hard workers at the expense of more creative and classy players. He was pre-occupied with effort and covering the ground. I seriously doubt that Coppell will have a similar attitude if his Reading sides are anything to judge by.

Williams could be one of the first on the team sheet if Coppell gets to see what he's capable of producing.

Williams was overlooked by Ipswich, as well as us..........why's that i wonder? To say the bloke wasn't given a chance is ridiculous, at times he was quite good.....but mostly average. He's now playing at his level. I am sure Millen and SC will talk about him, and I'm also sure he won't be with us next season......and if that's the case.....what will that tell you. David Noble also.....good league 1 player. Not in the same league as Hartley( a GJ signing)! We need to be bringing in much better players than these if we want to improve......move on people!

Not in the same league as Hartley. We need to be bringing in much better players than these if we want to improve......move on people!

Different type of player to Hartley who is cultured in a different way. No way would you see Hartley running at defenders and jinking past them. Nor would you see Williams sitting deep, breaking up play and spraying telling passes around the pitch.

Both midfielders but thats where the similarity ends.

Different type of player to Hartley who is cultured in a different way. No way would you see Hartley running at defenders and jinking past them. Nor would you see Williams sitting deep, breaking up play and spraying telling passes around the pitch.

Both midfielders but thats where the similarity ends.

That is a very good post.

I understand GW is quite a shy individual - a classic confidence player....where normally that trait is limited to strikers.

Bottom line - every player on the books surely has a clean slate under the new regime - and those delivering in first team football come the end of the season surely have a slight head start?

Williams was overlooked by Ipswich, as well as us..........why's that i wonder? To say the bloke wasn't given a chance is ridiculous, at times he was quite good.....but mostly average. He's now playing at his level. I am sure Millen and SC will talk about him, and I'm also sure he won't be with us next season......and if that's the case.....what will that tell you. David Noble also.....good league 1 player. Not in the same league as Hartley( a GJ signing)! We need to be bringing in much better players than these if we want to improve......move on people!

I'd disagree with that. David Noble proved in the small amount of games he was given to shine in the Championship that he definitely has what it takes to play at this level. He was fantastic at the end of the playoff season when given a run of games and also played well in the small amount of games he was picked for last season, before being banished following the Burnley game for reasons I've never understood.

I'd disagree with that. David Noble proved in the small amount of games he was given to shine in the Championship that he definitely has what it takes to play at this level. He was fantastic at the end of the playoff season when given a run of games and also played well in the small amount of games he was picked for last season, before being banished following the Burnley game for reasons I've never understood.

Sorry, but for me...if you want to be a top player you need - natural ability, good fitness and a good attitude. I'm afraid DN only had one of the above! We can do much much better than him.......I expect to see better players under SC. However i can see why GJ signed him.....but i just think we need to move on and bring in players of a higher calibre!

I'm disagreeing with most of the posts on this thread.

It's all so predictable - Gavin Williams goes on loan to LEAGUE 1 & scores a few goals and suddenly all these posts appear

saying we should have played him him and one post - surreal - saying basically he could be the first name on the (midfield) teamsheet

under Coppell.

I'm sorry but none of these posts/opinions were forthcoming when he was at AG & out of the side, and no big protests when he was farmed out to Yeovil. And no big lobby to say start him ahead of Hartley/Elliott/Skuse -----but a few good games for our 6 fingered friends and now he's Tevez !!

He didn't do much when given the chance at AG, and showed why Keane was happy to allow him to leave ipswich.

I though he was another poor (ex-Yeovil) signing by Gary and didn't look up to CCC standard and despite a few touches and cameos he didn't look a 46 game dominant/creative consistant CCC player that we will need to get out of the CCC.

Sorry guys but we've moved on and Coppells going to strive to take us up a level in performance and achievment.

The bars been raised.

Doing well (past or present) in a Yeovil shirt ain't going to be the standard anymore!

CR

How many starts was he given in his best position at City?

Not sure of the exact number, but I'd suggest it should have been alot more, especially when other players of lesser ability played over him, not a first team regular but a vital part of the squad over the course of a season that should be retained. After Hartley/Skuse/Elliott is the only other decent central midfielder at the club

How many starts was he given in his best position at City? - Enough!

Not sure of the exact number, but I'd suggest it should have been alot more, especially when other players of lesser ability played over him, not a first team regular but a vital part of the squad over the course of a season that should be retained. After Hartley/Skuse/Elliott is the only other decent central midfielder at the club -At the moment|!

I really expect SC to bring in some quality players in the summer, so players like GW need to move on if they want first team football. He will be a good player at league one, and hopefully we will get a few bob for him!

We'll find out in the coming months, at times he looked very good, at other times, very ordinary. A number of players seem to have improved significantly in recent weeks, and it remains to be seen whether he will be part of Coppells plans, or moves on. If selling to Div 1 wages might be an issue, so he may end up on loan somewhere. Personally, I'm pretty indifferent, it all depends what movements in and out that we have, I suspect that Hartley will go, I hope that Lee goes, I can't see Sno returning, so we might be a bit short in midfield.

I'm disagreeing with most of the posts on this thread.

It's all so predictable - Gavin Williams goes on loan to LEAGUE 1 & scores a few goals and suddenly all these posts appear

saying we should have played him him and one post - surreal - saying basically he could be the first name on the (midfield) teamsheet

under Coppell.

I'm sorry but none of these posts/opinions were forthcoming when he was at AG & out of the side, and no big protests when he was farmed out to Yeovil. And no big lobby to say start him ahead of Hartley/Elliott/Skuse -----but a few good games for our 6 fingered friends and now he's Tevez !!

He didn't do much when given the chance at AG, and showed why Keane was happy to allow him to leave ipswich.

I though he was another poor (ex-Yeovil) signing by Gary and didn't look up to CCC standard and despite a few touches and cameos he didn't look a 46 game dominant/creative consistant CCC player that we will need to get out of the CCC.

Sorry guys but we've moved on and Coppells going to strive to take us up a level in performance and achievment.

The bars been raised.

Doing well (past or present) in a Yeovil shirt ain't going to be the standard anymore!

CR

agree! Good post IMO

Don't know how to do the little yellow men but this is a little yellow man with clappy hands.

Archived