IGNORED

Bcfc Nickname

stroudy

Would people like to vote on a potential new nickname for BCFC  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"The Robins"? Wot a stoopid name! Wot's red? Duh - I know A ROBIN!!!! So...we'll call our football team (alongside countless other teams) the robins!!! Might as well call our team "the postbox" or "traffic light"!!! We want something that is distinctlively Bristol - or, better still represents the wider West Country area where many of the City fans come from. Personally, as someone who lives outside Bristol, I'm still happy with the Bristol crest: the best team in Bristol!

I have never liked the nickname the Robins and never use it. When the media use it I never think they are talking about us, ditch it.

It's got to be Cider'eds for me.

Robins are well known for there agressive courageous behaviour,defending their territory and for their great agility darting around the field.

The robins is a fine nickname now give up all you insecure little morons who for some reason dont think our beloved nickname is tough enough.

Long live the robins! (well about 1.5 years on average apparently although they can live to 12 years old and i once knew a bloke called robin who was well into his seventies!)

Robins are well known for there agressive courageous behaviour,defending their territory and for their great agility darting around the field.

The robins is a fine nickname now give up all you insecure little morons who for some reason dont think our beloved nickname is tough enough.

Long live the robins! (well about 1.5 years on average apparently although they can live to 12 years old and i once knew a bloke called robin who was well into his seventies!)

I think that's a bit harsh when most people are just agreeing with our Chairman!

My own opinion is that I don't mind being a Robin, if it was unique. But it must be the most common nickname for anyone who plays in red, which sort of defeats the object. I don't like the coat of arms crest thing we have have though, as others have said its a City of Bristol thing not a Bristol City thing. Again the need for uniqueness IMO. Even if we do something with the BCFC letters, we still aren't the only BCFC.

As much as it pains me our neighbours have both the 'Pirates' and the 'Gas', which are unique, even if 'Gas' was meant to be an insult they have taken it and made it their own. If you look on their forum for example almost every user is (something) Gas or Gas(something).

I don't know what the answer is, and I guess in the whole scheme of things not that important, unless there is a huge marketing spin-off maybe???

When we leave our home and relocate to whatever it will be called it will be sad to leave the Ashton Gate name behind, maybe we should be called the 'Gaters' (easy to chant), and if thats not fierce enough what about Aligaters!!! I also think the bridge is very important to our identity and would like to see that in a logo, so a crocodile walking over the bride it is then!

You can tell I'm not in marketing can't you! :D

When we leave our home and relocate to whatever it will be called it will be sad to leave the Ashton Gate name behind, maybe we should be called the 'Gaters' (easy to chant), and if thats not fierce enough what about Aligaters!!! I also think the bridge is very important to our identity and would like to see that in a logo, so a crocodile walking over the bride it is then!

the gay-ters? arn't they american corcodiles?

this corporate re-branding nonsense is rubbish

how can you not like the robin?

He is bristol city.

unless there is a huge marketing spin-off maybe???

I think that is what our chairman sees, an opportunity to rebrand, new nickname, new ground (named after the highest bidder) etc

People have posted that the robin is a common nickname, which is true, but what next stop being 'City' cos we are not the only ones, stop wearing red cos we are not the only ones...

Now I understand that the club has to make whatever money it can so that it can continue to compete but it doesn't have to lose some of it's history in the process.

The supporters trust use the robin, forza eastend use the robin, there are facebook campaigns to bring it back, I dont think we should underestimate the importance the robin and its history has with a lot of City supporters.

Maybe we should have a proper vote (not just on here) but if the Robin remains the prefered choice then the club should be willing to put it back on the shirt.

Nice Avatar Rif! rolleyes.gif

I don't mind the old badge, with the suspension bridge in the background and I love the birds, my favourite in the garden, I'm just not keen on the nickname.

As our chairman says, there are more important things to worry about.

I think that is what our chairman sees, an opportunity to rebrand, new nickname, new ground (named after the highest bidder) etc

People have posted that the robin is a common nickname, which is true, but what next stop being 'City' cos we are not the only ones, stop wearing red cos we are not the only ones...

Now I understand that the club has to make whatever money it can so that it can continue to compete but it doesn't have to lose some of it's history in the process.

The supporters trust use the robin, forza eastend use the robin, there are facebook campaigns to bring it back, I dont think we should underestimate the importance the robin and its history has with a lot of City supporters.

Maybe we should have a proper vote (not just on here) but if the Robin remains the prefered choice then the club should be willing to put it back on the shirt.

When Scott Davidson was chairman I actually wrote to him extolling the virtues of the Robin / Suspension Bridge badge as opposed to the Coat of Arms and suggesting a poll of the supporters. To his credit, he replied saying that although the club was committed to the Coat of Arms for that particular season, he thought that a poll was a good idea. The next season Mr Davidson did indeed conduct this survey of the fans and the majority chose the Coat of Arms. Therefore I have always assumed that in wanting the Robin badge back on the shirts I was in the minority. However, this thread would seem to suggest that a lot of you agree with me.

If you were to show the Coat of Arms to most people in the country (minus the Bristol City wording) and ask them which football club it represents, I would imagine that a lot of them would not have a clue. Show them a Robin and the Clifton Suspension Bridge and I'm pretty sure most would associate it with Bristol. For a long time I would not buy a City shirt with the Coat of Arms on in the hope that the Robin would soon return, as to me it looked like it could just as well be a Swindon, Leyton Orient or Rotherham shirt. Unfortunately the Robin never did return, so I had to bite the bullet or not have a shirt.

BRING BACK THE ROBIN (and Suspension Bridge)!!!

I'm surprised how close the poll is at present to be honest, I really thought it would be a lot more one-sided than this. It's very interesting to here everyone's views on the subject with some very passionate and some very considered views.

Thanks all for contributing so far keep it up!

As i remember Bristol citys shirts did not always have a badge on them and the crest was used before the robin and back to the crest after, however Bristol city have used the robin on their programmes for along time even when there was no badge on the shirts, the image was a robin in front of a gate, ok not the best of drawings but remember this was done before a computer was a mere twinkle in bill gates eyes

Maybe someone could re-draw it??

9427_1236096592100_1519775573_30637616_6510580_n.jpg

9427_1236096632101_1519775573_30637617_1748031_n.jpg

6454_118372627507_798687507_2249789_4292243_n.jpg

from the 1960's programme

n666857513_420711_5108.jpg

The robin

5534_104417777507_798687507_2074092_4603411_n.jpg

5534_104417792507_798687507_2074094_153744_n.jpg

5534_104417797507_798687507_2074095_3909394_n.jpg

Poll i spotted on FB

Should Bristol City FC Bring back the Robin badge in place of the current crest to go on the clubs shirts.

http://host1.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=12584

I think that's a bit harsh when most people are just agreeing with our Chairman!

My own opinion is that I don't mind being a Robin, if it was unique. But it must be the most common nickname for anyone who plays in red, which sort of defeats the object. I don't like the coat of arms crest thing we have have though, as others have said its a City of Bristol thing not a Bristol City thing. Again the need for uniqueness IMO. Even if we do something with the BCFC letters, we still aren't the only BCFC.

As much as it pains me our neighbours have both the 'Pirates' and the 'Gas', which are unique, even if 'Gas' was meant to be an insult they have taken it and made it their own. If you look on their forum for example almost every user is (something) Gas or Gas(something).

I don't know what the answer is, and I guess in the whole scheme of things not that important, unless there is a huge marketing spin-off maybe???

You can tell I'm not in marketing can't you!

biggrin.gif

[/quote

Now just because the chairman may have suggested it doesnt make him right.

Sorry steve i think your wrong on this one. Now lets get our fierce little robins back on the shirt any self respecting carrot crunching wurzel shithead knows it makes sense!

The Fury

The Purveyors of Darkness

Death from Us

The Killers

The Slaves

Double Ard Bastards

The Shitheads

The Only team

Baby Eaters

Carrot crunchers

Straw Eaters

Combine Drivers

Apple Pickers

I'll Kill you

First Line of Defence against a Welsh Invasion

Bridge Trolls

Trolls

Welsh Haters

The maimers

Severnsiders

Death Squad

The Western Fury

Best of the West

Plymouth is Ghay

Cardiff baiters

Swindle Smashers

OK, its not that easy to find an intimidating name that doesn't make you sound like a terrorist organization or a racist.

Wow. The programme from my first ever game, I had it for years until I lost it. I remember it well as I didn't get to go again for another two years as I were only a youngster.

Thnaks for the memory ciderhead.

How about THE PIGEONS , theres bloody enough of em in Bristol :P

The Fury

The Purveyors of Darkness

Death from Us

The Killers

The Slaves

Double Ard Bastards

The Shitheads

The Only team

Baby Eaters

Carrot crunchers

Straw Eaters

Combine Drivers

Apple Pickers

I'll Kill you

First Line of Defence against a Welsh Invasion

Bridge Trolls

Trolls

Welsh Haters

The maimers

Severnsiders

Death Squad

The Western Fury

Best of the West

Plymouth is Ghay

Cardiff baiters

Swindle Smashers

OK, its not that easy to find an intimidating name that doesn't make you sound like a terrorist organization or a racist.

Severnsiders sounds the best out of a bad lot :)

How about "Bristols", bird related, on the badge we could have a picture of some.........errr....maybe not.............

I think we should explore this idea....might put the opposition off, might also increase our free kicks as the other players will be pulling at our shirts!

Archived