IGNORED

Notw Says Fulham's Offer For Nm Is 4.5 M

Mclovin BS14

FULHAM boss Roy Hodgson is set to signal his commitment to the club.

He will make an offer of up to £4.5million for Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard.

And Hodgson is convinced the Championship outfit will be unable to say 'no'.

Maynard, 23, has also become a prime target for Everton boss David Moyes.

But Hodgson is determined not to lose out on the former Crewe forward, who has scored more than 30 goals in his two seasons at Ashton Gate.

City manager Steve Coppell insists his prize asset is not for sale.

But a fee approaching £5m will be impossible to snub.

Just more cheap and predicatble journalism. Of course bigger clubs will be aware of Maynard and its hardly rocket science to look at the Championship leading scorers and then link them to a couple of PL sides. No doubt Whittingham will be linked in the same way if Blackpool beat Cardiff in the play-off final next week.

Whilst I understand people saying " 4.5 mil is not quite enough" or " 5-6 mil might be something we cant refuse", I don't really understand where people are coming from with this, simply because, Steve Lansdown has made it clear WE DO NOT NEED THE MONEY...so whatever figure makes no difference!

Steve Coppell even said it in his interview, we have the finances to be able to turn down any offer. Whilst Maynard might not be "worth" 6 - 10 million to a club trying to sign him, he is probably worth much more to us. what really is 6 million!? its hard to put across the point I am trying to put forward, but whether we sold nicky for 6 million or not, it would make NO difference to our ability to buy other players. Lansdown will back coppell for anyone he wants to buy regardless of sellling nicky or not, so what is the point in feeling good about making a "profit" of a couple of a million pounds!? We paid 2.25 million, have probably paid him 1 - 1.5 million in wages so far and would have to spend about 4 million to buy a proven 21 goal a year striker at this level, and we are certainly not top of the list of clubs for players to want to join in this league, so there is no question of a "profit" in real terms.

sorry to go on...!...but with a man at the helm like landsown, he has made it clear himself a player like him is priceless. we HAVE to keep hold of him.

however, the other side to this is that as soon as the player is unsettled, he probably has to go. But like coppell says, if Nicky knows best, he should give it one more season to prove he can do it consistently, and who knows, he could become a cult hero taking US up to the promised land!

Can't see Fulham or anyone else paying 5m for a Championship player when they could easily get a top(ish) european striker for around 6m - 7m.

If we are to sell Nicky then it has to be cash, no performance clauses because we will have to spend 2m+ to replace him.

BCAGFC

£8m is not disrespectful, it would be a ridiculous/desperate bid. You can buy much better seasoned Prem players for less than £8m.

Seeing as Chopra went for £5m was it, and has a similar record to Nicky in this league, you would say that is about the market value of him.

£8m is not disrespectful, it would be a ridiculous/desperate bid. You can buy much better seasoned Prem players for less than £8m.

Seeing as Chopra went for £5m was it, and has a similar record to Nicky in this league, you would say that is about the market value of him.

Chopra is older than Maynard. Maynard def worth more now I recon.

Nice to know our player is on the radar at a higher level.

Think we should keep Nicky whatever the cost for at least 1 season to see

how he gets on under Coppell but he stated lets hope interest from prem

doesnt get into Nicky's head etc...

If you have paid 2.25m and getting goals back (with dodgy service!) and

with the potential cash from going up even 4.5m looks shabby - does this

show we overpaid initially?

£4.5m????????????

After what we paid for him and the progress he's made Even £8m is disrespectful to NM, SL and the Club.

Eight million, i thinks Lansdown head might look up to above five. Coppell made a great comment in the EP this week Maynard may become a Premier League footballer, those he want to do a Scotland (swansea), Etc be on the fringes of Premier League CLUB or stay and do that with BRISTOL CITY. Maynard is going nowhere apart from helping us to the dreamland.

I worry about this link. It is the first one that I could see happening. Fulham would be an ideal club for Nicky in the prem, and after recent exploits would be an attractive option.

If/when Maynard's head gets turned by all the speculation, then its hard to keep an unhappy player. It all depends how Maynard reacts to this.

Why? we don't need the money. But if Fulham did bid £8m and Maynard wanted to go, then fine. but we are under no pressure to sell whatsoever.

For 8 million we could bring in several high quality championship players. We'd be foolish not to sell for that. Don't get me wrong I don't want him to go and he has done superb to score 21 goals on what has been very inconsistent service but for that money we could bring in a few players who would improve our team significantly overall. To suggest 8 million is disrespectful is foolish, what is a respectable bid for him in your eyes?

Fulham fan here,

Wouldn't worry about it lads. Maynards agent is probably just banging the drum to get some interest in the lad. Or maybe he wants a new contract or something.

Kit Symons is one of our main scouts and regularly scours the lower leagues and reports back, doesn't mean we are buying them

I know every player has his price etc but for Maynard I would hope that he would want to play for Coppell and see how a better quality manager could progress him ( no disrespect to Gary Johnson). Maynard took a while to make the step up from Crewe and a move to the Premiership now would put him in the same situation, how ever tempting it is. I'm not sure either if players are given the time to 'come good' in many Prem teams and may find himself warming the bench or worse more often than not.

Also maybe us having Maynard and indicating we intend to hold on to him and progress with him could have been one of the reasons why Coppell was persuaded to sign? He won't want to lose such an attractive asset quickly or easily.

Wittingham takes pens I thought?

Last season they shared them Chopra took 7 of the unbelieveable 19 that they were awarded.

I think he's taken a few this season, too because Whittingham has only taken 7...

Just to add a slightly different perspective...we bought NM for £2.25 - so in theory we could buy two new players with his talent for £4.5m (yes I know it doesn't always work like that)

With just 2 years on his contract, now is the time to sell if the right offer comes in. I'd be very disappointed if we turned down a £5m bid. He's our best player but is not indispensible and a cash pot like that would be great for Coppell to be able to invest in the players he wants.

If the right offer comes in, we should sell. And SL is a business man, he'll make the best business decision.

For an example of when to sell, look at Olympic Lyons in France - their philosophy has been to sell any player as soon as the valuation exceeds that placed on the player by the club. No exceptions. So as a result they've gone from being no-one to being CL semi-finalists in just over a decade. They use the money raised to scout out young talent, and take risks on it - not all of them pay off. OL tend to go for 20-23 year olds when scouting.

I think we should follow this model. It keeps the coffers full and is attractive to players (conversely) because they can see that we get players to a higher level quickly.

I'm probably not going to be popular for saying this, but there you go...

Archived