IGNORED

City Internationals

Just wondering who in the current squad can be classed as an international player (i.e. having played for their country)

Also, who is the best international to play for city? Surely John Atyeo's up there?

The best international to play for City you could argue was Stern John, believe it or not. His record is impressive; 69 international goals in 109 appearances. :tumbleweed:

Just wondering who in the current squad can be classed as an international player (i.e. having played for their country)

Also, who is the best international to play for city? Surely John Atyeo's up there?

Ribiero, Nyatanga and Hartley are the three that immedietely spring to mind. And yes I'd suggest John Atyeo although he only ever won 6 caps didn't he?

Was thinking the other day, there were 3 ex City players in the 2006 World Cup I believe, think there could be just the one in this years. Anymore anyone?

Another played 4 games in 1986 World Cup - Jakki

Another Played in 74,78 & 82 - Joe Jordan

The best international to play for City you could argue was Stern John, believe it or not. His record is impressive; 69 international goals in 109 appearances. :tumbleweed:

I can't recall that individual actually playing FOR City he was present on a number of occasions but was surely there for himself.

Was thinking the other day, there were 3 ex City players in the 2006 World Cup I believe, think there could be just the one in this years. Anymore anyone?

Luke Wilkshire was registerd as a City player when he played for Australia in the 2006 tournament - I believe he was the only "current" player to take part in a World Cup finals tournament. Is he the one you are thinking of this time?

A couple of others who have played for us and been in World Cup squads would be Terry Cooper and Norman Hunter. Am I right in thinking that Andy Cole never got the call-up for a WC squad?

Not sure if Jan Moller played for Sweden in a tournament, should really do my research before I start the postdisapointed2se.gif

On a slight variation we must have had more representation for Wales than any other national team. If they actually qualified for World Cups we could have watched many of our boy(o)s in WC action. Off the top of my head the following all played for Wales (as in full international team) over the years:-

As well as Lewin and Ribs currently:-

Dave Partridge

Dave Cotterill

Howard Pritchard

Mark Aizlewood

Rob Edwards

John Emmanuel

Clayton Blackmore

Christian Edwards?

Ther must be more...

Luke Wilkshire was registerd as a City player when he played for Australia in the 2006 tournament - I believe he was the only "current" player to take part in a World Cup finals tournament. Is he the one you are thinking of this time?

A couple of others who have played for us and been in World Cup squads would be Terry Cooper and Norman Hunter. Am I right in thinking that Andy Cole never got the call-up for a WC squad?

Not sure if Jan Moller played for Sweden in a tournament, should really do my research before I start the postdisapointed2se.gif

Yes, but I'm basing it on World Cup appearances.

2006 = Wilkshire, Saborio & John all played games.

2010 is just Wilkshire, I think, if he plays a game.

Yes Cooper played 4 games in 1970 World Cup.

Hunter, Andy Cole & Moller only played Qualifiers, as did many others.

Hunter was part of the 66 squad tho

yep but only played in 4 qualifiers during 72/73 for the 1974 World Cup. Scored in the 1-1 draw with Wales at Wembley.

Surprised Norm didn't get into the 1970 squad, he would have got a lot more caps if he hadn't been Bobby Moore's understudy. There again his mis-timed tackle against Poland in the infamous 1-1 draw at Wembley didn't help the causedisapointed2se.gif.

Agreed that we would have a great big list of players who have played in WC qualifiers, I think 3 from our current squad played in qualifiers last season (Lewin, Clarkson and Hartley).

Most notable contribution for a WC qualifier must be Vilmos Seebok's hat-trick for Hungary against Lichenstein.

Of course Wilkshire will play- he's one of the most consistent players we've got.

By the way ,Nick Carle has been omitted from the squad.

Guest Parson St Station

Phil's absolutely spot on. Carle and McDonald omitted and another 5 will go before the final 23 are named.

Would have liked to see Tommy Oar play.

I still say we should try to get him from Utrecht.....

Of course Wilkshire will play- he's one of the most consistent players we've got.

By the way ,Nick Carle has been omitted from the squad.

Yes I'm sure Wilkshire will play, unless he suffers some type of injury. Been allot of press about him lately, some where he has spoke about his time with City and he was trying his hardest to get out!

Nick Carle has had the Chop, read this yesterday Palace's Carle axed from Australia squad

Surprised Norm didn't get into the 1970 squad, he would have got a lot more caps if he hadn't been Bobby Moore's understudy.

Norman was indeed in the 1970 world cup squad, wearing number 18. The complete squad was:

1 Gordon Banks, Stoke City

2 Keith Newton, Everton

3 Terry Cooper, Leeds United

4 Alan Mullery, Tottenham Hotspur

5 Brian Labone, Everton

6 Bobby Moore , West Ham United

7 Francis Lee, Manchester City

8 Alan Ball, Everton

9 Bobby Charlton, Manchester United

10 Geoff Hurst, West Ham United

11 Martin Peters, Tottenham Hotspur

12 Peter Bonetti, Chelsea

13 Alex Stepney, Manchester United

14 Tommy Wright, Everton

15 Nobby Stiles, Manchester United

16 Emlyn Hughes, Liverpool

17 Jack Charlton, Leeds United

18 Norman Hunter, Leeds United

19 Colin Bell, Manchester City

20 Peter Osgood, Chelsea

21 Allan Clarke, Leeds United

22 Jeff Astle, West Bromwich Albion

So Terry Cooper in there too...

Norman was indeed in the 1970 world cup squad, wearing number 18. The complete squad was:

1 Gordon Banks, Stoke City

2 Keith Newton, Everton

3 Terry Cooper, Leeds United

4 Alan Mullery, Tottenham Hotspur

5 Brian Labone, Everton

6 Bobby Moore , West Ham United

7 Francis Lee, Manchester City

8 Alan Ball, Everton

9 Bobby Charlton, Manchester United

10 Geoff Hurst, West Ham United

11 Martin Peters, Tottenham Hotspur

12 Peter Bonetti, Chelsea

13 Alex Stepney, Manchester United

14 Tommy Wright, Everton

15 Nobby Stiles, Manchester United

16 Emlyn Hughes, Liverpool

17 Jack Charlton, Leeds United

18 Norman Hunter, Leeds United

19 Colin Bell, Manchester City

20 Peter Osgood, Chelsea

21 Allan Clarke, Leeds United

22 Jeff Astle, West Bromwich Albion

So Terry Cooper in there too...

Yep but like 1966 did not start a game, just found he did come on as a sub against West Germany though. So I guess Hunter makes that list too.

Yes I'm sure Wilkshire will play, unless he suffers some type of injury. Been allot of press about him lately, some where he has spoke about his time with City and he was trying his hardest to get out!

Nick Carle has had the Chop, read this yesterday Palace's Carle axed from Australia squad

True, although in all the programmes I've seen ,produced for Australia's international games, the pen-picture for Wilkshire always favourably mentions his time with CITY .

I feel rather sorry for Carle. Who knows, if he'd been able to stay with a class club like CITY, he might have become an Australian regular.

and who could forget Greg Goodridge - captain of Barbados

Paul Agostino (Australia)

Mark Aizlewood (Wales)

Russell Osman (England)

Tommy Doc (northern ireland)

Ivan Testemitanu (Moldova)

sure there are loads more :)

Until the early 1950's England was considered to be the best team in the World (which is why we didn't compete in the first three World Cups). Therefore all City players who made the England team before 1950 were arguably members of the greatest team in the world.

Luke Wilkshire is in Austrailias squad

Archived