IGNORED

Gerrard

Portland Bill

Gerrard was virtually the only player in our team that seemed to try and make things happen.

He was the best player on the pitch vs usa,he had a ok game vs algeria and slovenia he was constantly trying his hardest,unlike most of the other players in our team.

Trying your hardest doesn't make you international class so that's a poor arguement. As for being ok against Algeria he wasn't. Nobody was. Apart from Ashley Cole who was left to mark 2 players all game,..because Gerrard refused to play out wide. (And yes I know he's not a wide player and I'd have him play in the middle but it's not exactly disciplined playign CM when your told to play out wide.)

Trying your hardest doesn't make you international class so that's a poor arguement. As for being ok against Algeria he wasn't. Nobody was. Apart from Ashley Cole who was left to mark 2 players all game,..because Gerrard refused to play out wide. (And yes I know he's not a wide player and I'd have him play in the middle but it's not exactly disciplined playign CM when your told to play out wide.)

and who told him to play out wide?

im sure his orders was to join rooney as much as possible and help out in the middle of the park in case we are over run.

you really think he would just wonder behind rooney or play alot in the middle off his own back?

also when he joins the midfielders in the middle it gives ashely cole some room to get forward,which is exactly what ramos does for spain and maicon for brazil.

its not gerrard that decides the tactics!

From today's gossip on the BBC site.

England's Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard have pulled the plug on a £16m football extravaganza to be held at the O2 Arena in London. The duo were due to be paid £500,000 each for one day's work next month for participating in a skills challenge with fellow Premier League stars Didier Drogba, Crisitano Ronaldo, David Villa and Cesc Fabregas. The event has now been postponed until next summer.

From today's gossip on the BBC site.

England's Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard have pulled the plug on a £16m football extravaganza to be held at the O2 Arena in London. The duo were due to be paid £500,000 each for one day's work next month for participating in a skills challenge with fellow Premier League stars Didier Drogba, Crisitano Ronaldo, David Villa and Cesc Fabregas. The event has now been postponed until next summer.

just sums up how rediculous things are in this country. I was listening to talk sport this morning and a guy rang in who runs a youth team, and he reckons it costs a minimum £800 per year to rent a pitch! Just think of all the money being pi$$ed up against the wall paying off Sven, McClaren, Capello, and spent entertaining these idiots at 5 star hotels all over the world that could be used properly. No one wonder the game is in such a state, and morals are at a strict premium.

and who told him to play out wide?

im sure his orders was to join rooney as much as possible and help out in the middle of the park in case we are over run.

you really think he would just wonder behind rooney or play alot in the middle off his own back?

also when he joins the midfielders in the middle it gives ashely cole some room to get forward,which is exactly what ramos does for spain and maicon for brazil.

its not gerrard that decides the tactics!

Of course he does, and you'd be naive to think otherwise! He's naturally a central player and therefore drifts in. I'm not saying he's told to stay out wide all game, and I'm sure he did have instructions to link up with Rooney at times, but he was clearly meant to occupy the left flank for long periods, not just play CM for 90 mins. And I see your point with the full backs but it's not quite as striaghtforward as that. When full backs get forward for world-class teams it often involves overlapping, not just firing everyone forward, much like Cole overlaps Malouda on the left for Chelsea. The reason Cole didn't get forward as much against Algeria is because he was left to mark the entire left side on his own, yet some people don't seem to realise this and still expect him to be bombing forward and whipping in crosses.

Archived