IGNORED

Qpr To Bid £500.000 For Orr

westonred

Well that cracked me up!

It's his bloody fault. When the tabloids reported his latest transfer (every six months pretty much) they always referred to him as a journeyman and in the same article referred to him having played for lots of clubs.

When they called him a journeyman they meant "he's not very good really", the clue is that they always mentioned the number of clubs he'd play for separately, because it wasn't implied.

However now a large proportion of football fans have a mental process that goes like this:

Journeyman -> Steve Claridge -> Lots of clubs -> Journey -> Move around alot

So bear this in mind - every time you think journeyman means lots of clubs, you are also inferring that Steve Claridge was a good player.

Let's not forget that Orr has been a decent player for us but I'm inclined to agree that it's time he moved on and we found a replacement offering a bit more ability going forward. Ribs when fit will be cracking but we'll need experienced cover here. Rosenior might end up back here!

Let's not forget that Orr has been a decent player for us but I'm inclined to agree that it's time he moved on and we found a replacement offering a bit more ability going forward. Ribs when fit will be cracking but we'll need experienced cover here. Rosenior might end up back here!

Would not surprise me in the slightest.

It doesn't have any special meaning in football terms, it just has a common misunderstanding for which you can blame a combination of the norman invasion, the education system, tabloid journalists and Steve Claridge.

It's a mistake that is also peculiarly much more common in Bristol than elsewhere as well for some reason.

When you say "common misunderstanding" you mean that it is now generally accepted to mean "moves around a lot".

Or, in other words, since English is a living language, that's what it means.

When you say "common misunderstanding" you mean that it is now generally accepted to mean "moves around a lot".

Hardly.If you look at how the topic arose in this thread you will see that people quite clearly misunderstood what SImplyRed meant. That's not an example of word meaning changing as a language evolves, nor is it generally accepted to mean "moves around a bit", it's just ignorance that's quite specific to football fans.

• Admin

You mean like "bad" which quite happily went through the ages meaning something wasn't very good until the 80s when a whole load of people decided it also meant that something really was very good?

You mean like "bad" which quite happily went through the ages meaning something wasn't very good until the 80s when a whole load of people decided it also meant that something really was very good?

Yes - decided, not misunderstood.

That's a fairly simple difference between slang and wrong.

Only if it's generally accepted - and most of us have only seen the incorrect usage on this forum, which doesn't qualify!

Well my understanding of the word 'journeyman' has always been that it meant 'of middling or average ability, lacking excellence'. I have never come across it meaning 'well-travelled' except on this thread. But you are correct in your assertion that if the word has become used in the context of being well-travelled then that's exactly what the word means and the dictionaries should be updated (much the same as the kidnapping of the original meaning for the word 'gay').

However, in my experience, the word is always used in terms of the dictionary meaning and I have no recollection of the word being used with another meaning.

You must be a politician then , They can never recollect anything either.

The same story again in tonights Evil Post must be a slow news week..

http://www.thisisbri...il/article.html

why did they put ??

Sources inside Ashton Gate suggest an offer of £500,000 or above will probably be accepted.

QPR are hardly going to bid above that price, if the EP has printed we will probably accept £500,000 D'OH !!!!

I saw Bradley driving along Greenway Bush Lane (the road from Coronation Road to North Street past the Try Again pub) at 7.30 this morning. Bit early for a footballer, i thought, so perhaps they're doing the deal today?

I'll be sad to see him go, if he does, as players who actually care for the club they're playing for are extremely rare these days. Bradley always gives 100% in my opinion and he is always first over to thank the fans, win, lose or draw. I personally think he's a good footballer and i'll be sorry to see him go and the 'i'll drive him there myself' comments are very unfair on someone who has served the club well and seems to be being judged solely on his crossing ability.

Wow! I didn't think my use of the word 'journeyman' would cause so much debate. It is in danger of hijacking this thread!

Maybe we should start another thread in the non-footy forum?

I agree with Nibor, I don't think the word has come to mean something else, but merely that a small group of people with connections to football have misunderstood the word. That is not the same as a large portion of the population generally using the word to mean well-travelled. In order to get that meaning established in a dictionary, it would require a very large proportion of the population to accept that meaning and use it in that context in order to get the Oxford English Dictionary to accept it as an alternative meaning.

:tumbleweed:

Anyway... getting back to topic... :whistle:

I would be happy to sell Orr, but in today's market I think he's worth more £500k, especially to a rival club, because I think it would cost at least £1m to replace him with someone better.

I saw Bradley driving along Greenway Bush Lane (the road from Coronation Road to North Street past the Try Again pub) at 7.30 this morning. Bit early for a footballer, i thought, so perhaps they're doing the deal today?

I'll be sad to see him go, if he does, as players who actually care for the club they're playing for are extremely rare these days. Bradley always gives 100% in my opinion and he is always first over to thank the fans, win, lose or draw. I personally think he's a good footballer and i'll be sorry to see him go and the 'i'll drive him there myself' comments are very unfair on someone who has served the club well and seems to be being judged solely on his crossing ability.

2nd that very good defender. Perhaps Bradders had enough of all the negativity towards the end of the GJ reign and has decided he is better off. Lets be fair though QPR will probably give him a nice fat pay rise, so at the end of it all who could blame him.

You didn't ?! Oh come on this is OTIB.

Anyway, Orr is a Water Carrier.

Orr is a right back not a wing back, and a very good right back too, I hope we bring in better if he goes or Ribero can step up to the mark and stay fit, sometimes you don't realise what you've got until it's gone.

Were I from the Seventies I might ask "Do you mean he's going on a journey. Man?"

I'll get my coat.

Yes, good example, or errr, bad example.

Take the money now before he walks for free next year. Would rather see him stay and sign the deal that has been offered him, but if he wont then let him go and get as much as we can for him.

As much as I like Orr for his attitude and commitment I think SC would prefer a full back that can use the ball better than orr can.

Don't forget Cole Skuse who can do a decent job anywhere. I wonder if Coppell thinks that Marv should revert to a right back role? He could certainly play there if needed - depends who he is planning to fill our midfield with.

Archived