IGNORED

Cov City 2 V Bcfc 2 1977

spudski

This is one of the best games I have ever been to. What a great day out this was.

I was only 15 at the time, i remember sitting in the classroom thinking about this game wishing i would be there, It was the talk of the week. After about 10 minutes the Headmaster walked in the door, everyone was thinking the same thing....someone is in trouble. He walked up to my desk, my heart was pounding. But he looked at me with a smile on my face and said.

"don't worry lad, your not in trouble this time, your brother just rang and asked if you would like to go to the football match tonight?"

I almost fell out me seat! i asked the headmaster if i could go. surprisingly he said ofcourse you can go son. he must have knew how much this meant to us city fans. I walked out the door and he couldnt help but say "keep outa trouble lad" with a grin.

After catching the coach from clevedon. all i remember seeing was rows upon rows of coaches with city fans in em. never seen so much beer on a coach before :drunk2:. had to stop for a leak on the hard shoulder, had a great laugh.

Arrived at the coventry ground late, 5 mins to get in the stand. nobody knew where to go so we just headed for the first turnstile we saw. We ended up in the open end with the coventry fans, about couple of thousand of us surrounded by coventry fans behind the goal. What an atmosphere! great party it was. There seemed to be city fans in every stand, it was unbelievable.

After 2-0 down we thought...off back to the 2nd division...getting that 2nd goal was a better feeling than reaching the play off final a few years back.

Thanks for this video, what a cracking memory!:city:

Is it any wonder us grumpy old men are so cynical about how things are now? I was actually studying in Worcester and had tickets in the home end .. almost got attacked during the game then such fun at the end. That was the day .. it is such a dull commercial experience these days. If you haven't been there you won't understand. Re-live the day .. try a Bath City game versus Luton this coming season ... real football ... and Scottie pops up with a 90th minute winner ... and the crowd ... nostalgia.

Glad it bought some happy memories back to you guys on such a depressing day. I remember it like it was yesterday.

The guy who downloaded it onto youtube gives thanks to a Bristol City fan who originally put it on the Web. Unfortunately he doesn't mention who it was. Perhaps the City fan has that extra footage?

Happy days...

Archived