IGNORED

Peaceful Protest March (merged & Name Change)

spudski

Something needs to be done, as i said in another post Its more than just a new stadium for us, it could of been (Could still be) the catalyst of an exciting regeneration of south bristol, 1000's of temporary construction jobs, 1000 permanent jobs. An awful lot of money into the local economy. It would put bristol on the map, and bring in more tourism. It could bring the world cup to bristol, a dedicated music venue and many other things no doubt. People wont stop using north street just because sainsbury's relocated If it was a completely new store in the area then maybe a different story. I bet if sainsbury's put in a planning application to expland their current store it would of been given the go ahead.

It would be good to encourage non bristol city fans, who want to see bristol become the city it deserves to be, to join the protest so that they can see how much this means to bristol as a whole and not just a few people.

• SC&T Board Members

Its great that the ST seem to be taking this on, as it's something that's got to be organised, and as big as we can make it.

I take the point about the day of the Millwall match not being the best for a demo in town, but what about something inside the ground that day. We have the potential to get a huge amount of national media exposure because of the coverage that the Champioship gets on national TV. Brighton exploited it well on occasions - and we need to be quite clear in the message - that Bristol CC is the most backward, reactioanry council in the land. Not sure what, but if we could come up with something very visual that would appeal to the TV cameras....?

Time for the gurt big 'No Superstore = No Stadium' flag to be dusted down again, methinks!

• SC&T Board Members

Hmm, where to target first - Tobacco Factory, College Green, Green Party HQ ....

Despite the temptation to want to blow up any of those targets, it will be better for achieving a positive reaction in the media to demonstrate our strength of feeling in a positive pro-stadium way, rather than in a negative anti council / Ferguson / Greens fashion, which would always have the potential to backfire if anybody got 'over-excited' and thus generate all the wrong sort of headlines.

I don't post very often on here but please take on board this information from someone who knows. The council house does not open on a weekend, there is nobody there at all so any protest then would be a waste of time. It needs to be done at some point during the week if it is to have any effect. My opinion would be to do it at the next full council meeting, probably a month or so away, feel free to check the date on the council website, but this is the only time that you will get all the counselors and top bods in the same place at the same time, that is the time that they will all be forced to take notice if there are afew thousand on college green making themselves heard. In the meantime I would suggest mass mailing the counselors who made the appaling decision last night, aswel as the council leader, chief exec and the complaints department. They have to take notice if we do this. Please consider the next full council date as the day we voice our disgust at the way this decision has been made. That is all...

Guest oftbc

Think we need to hold back for a while and let the dust settle and take stock before anything is planned. Yes a march is a must imo but until we know what Sainsburys intend to do then in the mean time a march would be pointless. If Sainsburys do appeal and then a date is set then that is the time to have a march and also flood the council chamber with support for the scheme. A petition of 59 names was handed to the commitee against the scheme. I'm sure we could easily beat that. What we need to remember is they are not seeing this as an enabling development so we have to show our support for the superstore rather than for the stadium. Yes we all know it's a smoke screen but we have to play them at their own game. A boycott of North Street in the mean time would be most welcomed.

Yep straight up College green and put a Shell straight through the front of the council house.

It was a tongue in cheek comment borne out of frustration after all the hard work that has gone into this process so far.

*quickly puts ST board members hat back on, and promises to be sensible from now on*

The problem with 'protest marches' is that it only takes a few subversives (even someone who has literally nothing to do with the reasons for the march) to cause trouble and initiate violence or negative undertones and you will completely destroy what it is you're trying to do.

Any hint of violence or negative incidents will completely undermine the original reasons for protesting.

Be very careful...

In my opinion, there is more to gain from every person unhappy with the decision writing personally to the council, the media and their MP. This alone would demonstrate the numbers who feel the decision was wrong.

What needs to be organised is not a march, but a form letter that can simply be handed out at the MIllwall and Blackpool games for people to photocopy, add their name and address and sign to send to the council, media and their MP.

Perhaps this is something the Supporters Trust can get their teeth into?

Might also be an idea to hand them out at Sainsburys, in Winterstoke Rd, too?

Think we need a poll to show the appoximate numbers of people that would be willing to take part in this peaceful protest, then we can decide on the time and date.

EDIT: Or decide the time and date first, then do the poll.

I can't do next Tuesday after 7pm.

Archived