IGNORED

Peaceful Protest March (merged & Name Change)

spudski

With the advent of Computers and Technology, and forums such as this, it gives fans like ourselves, opportunity to vent our spleen and displeasure, at outcomes like last nights Council decision.

We type furiously about our displeasure, and in a weird way, it makes us sublimely feel like we've done something.

Unfortunately, all our words and feelings are just floating about in the ether, and no one at the Council will be any wiser of our anger.

Before Forums like this, we would all, en masse, be demonstrating outside the Council House making our feelings known with banners and chants. Locals would take notice, press and TV.

Hardly anyone watches the local news or reads the EP these days. This Council decision will just pass over the masses without anyone noticing.

Unfortunately...as a nation we are very apathetic, and we all like to moan down the pub and on forums etc

Unlike the French or Italians, we refuse to get off our ass's and physically voice our displeasure.

I know, if this had happened in Roma or Napoli or Verona, then there would demonstrations outside the Council house and a certain drinking establishment wouldn't have any windows left. I'm not condoning the latter, but it would happen and imo, makes a difference.

Just a thought...

Reckon we'd be lucky to get 700 let alone 7000...Apathy is very prevelent in this country i'm afraid.

Off the top of me head, All City fans need to have some kind of march/demo before the Millwall game. That is the first date we can get thousands in one place. Plus the OB would have nightmares with Millwall in town.

A mass demo at College Green and then a march to Ashton Gate?

Peoples thoughts?

We've got the mail addresses of the councillors, can someone not write a "template letter" and we all send it to each member that voted against! They'd soon get the message when 7,000 emails came flooding in. Have we got any good writers? Would this work? Any think it's a good idea?

Tim

I think it's a decent idea, if the letter was well-written and not full of abuse and it's sent in the masses could be an option. I'm sure if it was sent around the forum a lot of people would send it, I mean this does seem to have pissed of the entire population of otib!

I think it's a decent idea, if the letter was well-written and not full of abuse and it's sent in the masses could be an option. I'm sure if it was sent around the forum a lot of people would send it, I mean this does seem to have pissed of the entire population of otib!

As mentioned above, e mails wont do anything because they dont care, a demo is the only way to show the strength of feeling.

Demo before Millwall would be quality - I think it would be taken very seriously as well.

Well lets get it going then. Time and place? Can we get the dummers down to make some noise? I say gather at college green?

I was just thinking last night we need to organise a demonstration, but is leaving it to the milwall game going to be a bit late?

A demo outside the council house then a march to ashton gate would be very well received by the media in my opinion provided we don't get people going over the top

Count me in regardless

Well up for a March. Count me in.

As some have already stated, direct and visible action is the only option or these Idiots will sit comfortably and anonymously behind their desks. At any government level, those elected by Bristolians need to feel venom when they take the majority for granted and make seemingly self-gratifying and spiteful decisions. We the electorate, need the elected to realise the priviledged position they hold.

As somebody has already stated, if this situation occurred in France, the Council House would be besieged and the elected held to account. Come, we are Bristol, we have a history of fighting injustice by demonstration. We need numbers though, not a token "Few". We should select a date and place and inform the press. Hopefully it will catch their imaginations and will get the coverage to ultimately encourage The Red Army to converge en masse.

Red Trousered Clown, although not elected (He was once as a self serving president of the RIBA) holds far too much Political swing. Going back to his sabotaging of the original Crest Nicholson Harbourside scheme, his actions stink of self publication and self gain. Just check this link, sound familiar? http://www.propertyw...2005074.article

Outrageous really. Speaking as somebody from the local Architecture Scene, he has never been widely "Liked". He's a prat in all honesty.

His businesses stretch long and deep throughout South Bristol. I would appreciate if anybody has a comprehensive list and a boycott can be arranged.

RW.

Best place to start is the bottom of North Street say outside the Robert Fitzharding. Then a march up North Street through to Greville Smyth Park. Starting at the Council House and walking to Ashton Gate may put a few off that have kids with them...like me!

This way you hit the heart of the community (shop keepers mainly) on North Street, stopping outside The Red Trouser Arms giving him a verbal then moving on to Greville Smyth.

But make it a peaceful one. Any trouble and the tar brush comes out and we then start hearing, "thats why we object" blah blah.

MM

Spudski, as your post has sparked interest in apathy and the causes of - Resulting in positive responses to march - would you mind if this thread were renamed "Protest March" or something like that (Is that even possible MODS)? I think the sooner we can get momentum, the better.

Good Work Spudski.

Spudski, as your post has sparked interest in apathy and the causes of - Resulting in positive responses to march - would you mind if this thread were renamed "Protest March" or something like that (Is that even possible MODS)? I think the sooner we can get momentum, the better.

Good Work Spudski.

Agreed, changing the thread name would be good. Perhaps pinned as well if we gain enough interest?

Well done Spudski, you have inspired a nation (or at least a football forum.) englandsmile4wf.gif

We've got the mail addresses of the councillors, can someone not write a "template letter" and we all send it to each member that voted against! They'd soon get the message when 7,000 emails came flooding in. Have we got any good writers? Would this work? Any think it's a good idea?

Tim

I've just e-mailed this to our friends at the council, entitled 'Thank-You'

Count me in for any demo march, look forward to hearing more details, we can't take this lying down.

Dear sirs,

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank-you all for missing a huge opportunity for South Bristol and missing the chance to create numerous long term employment in the area, not to mention the huge number of construction jobs that would have been secured both in redeveloping the current Ashton Gate site, housing development on the current Sainsbury's, Winterstoke Rd site and also the new stadium build.

This decision seems even more bizarre when you consider the current economic state of the country and the commercial benefits that would have been presented to our City, the City you are charged with serving.

I would also like to know why public money was wasted on numerous consultations by qualified people who subsequently recommended approval of this development only for 4 people to ignore them and 2 others to choose not to express an opinion, how on earth can people in elected office choose not to vote on such a huge decision for the City they have been elected to serve, it is completely ludicrous.

I fail to understand the numerous arguments that seem to suggest North St would suffer as a result of the Sainsbury's relocation, are you seriously suggesting that a relocation of a few hundred yards is suddenly going to drain all the trade from North St ? The fact is that those who wish to use the shops in the North St area will continue to do so regardless of the Sainsbury's relocation.

The 'bigger picture' should also not be ignored with regards to a new stadium, on which I'm sure your aware the Ashton Gate redevelopment was relying upon, this would bring huge benefits to the area in providing a quality venue for major sporting events such as the Football World Cup and Rugby World Cup that would bring additional revenue into the area, surely some of the narrow minded people who campaigned against the redevelopment of the current Ashton Gate site, would have themselves benefited from the money that would have subsequently been generated in the area, not to mention other non-sporting events such as concerts that would have really put Bristol on the map and provided something for numerous generations to enjoy, not only now but for many years to come.

I am very upset that you have deprived hundreds of thousands of people a real opportunity to be proud of Bristol in listening to the vocal minority who fail to see beyond their own selfish motives.

I am left in total disarray by this decision as I'm sure are many, many others and I'm sure you will now hear the voice of the very disillusioned majority over the coming weeks and months.

You had a real opportunity here and you choose to ignore it, what a great day for Bristol.

Yours extremely disappointed,

Good Work Spudski.

Of Course...be my guest.

People will sit up and take notice at a physical demonstration. When was the last time you can remember one in Bristol? It will be unique, and force home the general feeling of how disgusted we are with Bcc's backward thinking.

As long as it's kept non abusive, and doesn't give the public and Council amunition to throw back at BCFC, then i think it will be a proactive and positive thing to do.

Personally, i think starting it at College Green would have the biggest impact.

I've just e-mailed this to our friends at the council, entitled 'Thank-You'

Count me in for any demo march, look forward to hearing more details, we can't take this lying down.

Dear sirs,

I would just like to take this opportunity to thank-you all for missing a huge opportunity for South Bristol and missing the chance to create numerous long term employment in the area, not to mention the huge number of construction jobs that would have been secured both in redeveloping the current Ashton Gate site, housing development on the current Sainsbury's, Winterstoke Rd site and also the new stadium build.

This decision seems even more bizarre when you consider the current economic state of the country and the commercial benefits that would have been presented to our City, the City you are charged with serving.

I would also like to know why public money was wasted on numerous consultations by qualified people who subsequently recommended approval of this development only for 4 people to ignore them and 2 others to choose not to express an opinion, how on earth can people in elected office choose not to vote on such a huge decision for the City they have been elected to serve, it is completely ludicrous.

I fail to understand the numerous arguments that seem to suggest North St would suffer as a result of the Sainsbury's relocation, are you seriously suggesting that a relocation of a few hundred yards is suddenly going to drain all the trade from North St ? The fact is that those who wish to use the shops in the North St area will continue to do so regardless of the Sainsbury's relocation.

The 'bigger picture' should also not be ignored with regards to a new stadium, on which I'm sure your aware the Ashton Gate redevelopment was relying upon, this would bring huge benefits to the area in providing a quality venue for major sporting events such as the Football World Cup and Rugby World Cup that would bring additional revenue into the area, surely some of the narrow minded people who campaigned against the redevelopment of the current Ashton Gate site, would have themselves benefited from the money that would have subsequently been generated in the area, not to mention other non-sporting events such as concerts that would have really put Bristol on the map and provided something for numerous generations to enjoy, not only now but for many years to come.

I am very upset that you have deprived hundreds of thousands of people a real opportunity to be proud of Bristol in listening to the vocal minority who fail to see beyond their own selfish motives.

I am left in total disarray by this decision as I'm sure are many, many others and I'm sure you will now hear the voice of the very disillusioned majority over the coming weeks and months.

You had a real opportunity here and you choose to ignore it, what a great day for Bristol.

Yours extremely disappointed,

Very well put, i would gladly put my signature to a letter like this....

This has to be done peacefully with absolutely no trouble at all. i agree starting at college green would be best where they would pay the most attention. Of course BCFC and Sainsbury's would have to appeal for the protest to actually have any meaningful affect on our stadium bid. Best time would be before the millwall game and any other home game until BCC can see how many people are against the rejection. also if anyone can organise a petition for people to sign when visiting AG or on matchdays in the supporters club and all around the ground im sure this would also help, especially if you could get 10000-15000 names on it.

This has to be done peacefully with absolutely no trouble at all. i agree starting at college green would be best where they would pay the most attention. Of course BCFC and Sainsbury's would have to appeal for the protest to actually have any meaningful affect on our stadium bid. Best time would be before the millwall game and any other home game until BCC can see how many people are against the rejection. also if anyone can organise a petition for people to sign when visiting AG or on matchdays in the supporters club and all around the ground im sure this would also help, especially if you could get 10000-15000 names on it.

Count me in. About time we spoke out against the faceless do-gooders and the tobacco factory empire. Together we are strong !!!!

Seriously let's get this done. Are we looking at sooner rather than later? Someone come up with a date and we can take it from there. Let's not talk about it, let's do it. Strike whilst the iron is hot. Some would even suggest this weekend

Archived