IGNORED

March This Sunday - Pro-stadium, Pro-supermarket

Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members

In response to the many ideas put forward on here and elsewhere, the Supporters Trust is calling on fans to show their support for the club's new stadium plans and their dismay at the council's decision on Wednesday in a positive way by joining in a march on Sunday afternoon.

Objective:

1) To show Bristol City Council just how much the fans of Bristol City FC want the new stadium and how much we are dismayed by the extent to which the council fail to share the ambition of SL and co.

2) To get positive media coverage / pictures etc. so that when any revised application or appeal is heard, those responsible for considering it have these images fresh in their minds and know how strong the feeling in favour of them approving the proposals is.

3) To avoid any negative publicity that an anti-protest, e.g. with a march on the council house or Tobacco Factory, might create.

Time: 2pm Sunday

Starting point: Ashton Gate

Finishing point: New stadium site

Route: Via Barton Close (down the side of Brunel Ford)

That's the bare bones. Now let's put some flesh on it.

Who can provide a stage (say a large van or curtain-sider lorry) for the new stadium site? Anyone got any amplification equipment? Any musicians want to come along and blast out a few numbers?

It's now over to forum users to shape this event... remember the aim is to have a big gathering of people all showing their support for the stadium and supermarket plans.

Over to you...

• SC&T Board Members

This will be just after the Q&A in the Dolman I imagine. Perfect time. Plenty of fans about. Good start to the campaign.

That's the idea ... actual start time of the march will be slightly dependent on how long the Q&A goes on... but idea would be that all those at the Q&A wanting to take part can then join others in the Winterstoke Road car park and carry on from there. So the march may set off at 2, 2.15 or 2.30, just depending on how many questions there are for SC and CS in the DEH.

Maybe we get some portable goal posts and stage the first ever game in the new stadium!!

A little short notice on Friday afternoon to announce a demonstration on Sunday. Most (especially those with family) will already have plans.

The route will also be seen by no-one. Walking from Ashton gate through North Street, City Centre Council house will be seen by hundreds-possible thousand people and cause a stir and interest, a march to the new stadium may at best pique the passing interest of a few motorist as they speed by.

Sunday also sucks for anyone needing public transport.

Placards, flags, flyers - no way they can be done in time.

A low turnout would also hurt the cause, so a little more time, and preparation would I think be better suited for most.

With so many people going on Sunday we couldn't NOT get this campaign up and running at such short notice. Expect more announcements as we sort things out.

Quite right. The Open Day usually attracts a few thousand fans with families who could then go on the march. If nothing else you can see the new site up close and personal.

Sorry guys not happy about the route. Who will it be seen by? Council houses surely? Feel like this is going a bit pear shaped

*** sorry that sounded Negative. Well done for organising but the location and timing I don't agree with. Just my opinion but well done.

Wouldnt leaving AG and heading to the new site, via the side of Brunel Ford, take everyone away from the public eye and lose most of the impact? A bit like having a demonstration down a back alley where noone can see or hear you?!

I'm all for a show of protest but agree it is a bit short notice, it's appearance will be diluted by the open day, meaning many people will be about anyway and not tuning out as a show of support for the cause.

People really need to commit to attending anysort of event, otherwise it would do more harm than good, should it not gain an impressive number of supporters.

IMO

Need a way to get an estimate of numbers. I'll come, but if there's a low turnout it will do more harm than good.

PETE same here large numbers are needed,quite happy to committ 5 st holders if it is a real go.

Ashton gate to college green is what is needed,with full media exposing it.

Happy to commit 2 adults and one child city fans as am planning to go to the open day on sunday this is the perfect opportunity to do this i agree on the route being North St and on to the centre with a stop off outside the TF just for prosperity (SP).

Happy to commit 2 adults and one child city fans as am planning to go to the open day on sunday this is the perfect opportunity to do this i agree on the route being North St and on to the centre with a stop off outside the TF just for prosperity (SP).

There's not going to be anyone at the council house on Sunday though, plus anyone who has driven to AG for open day will then have to get back to get cars etc, whereas if we march from our old home to our potential new one it has a more symbolic meaning. Plus i'd prefer redtrousers to not even get given the time of day, it will hurt him a lot more to get no attention and no business than to have another audience.

This won't be the only thing we do believe me, myself and the other board members of the ST are as fuming as everyone else is, we just needed to put something together in a hurry whilst we have such a large audience at AG on Sunday. A petition will also be following shortly (which can again be signed at open day, and I am sure online sooner rather than later as well)

We really are all trying to sort things out, lots of people are busily working in the background believe me.

• SC&T Board Members

There are a couple of key reasons behind the timing:

1) There will already be thousands of fans at AG on Saturday, so the march has a good chance of being well supported, which might not be the case on any other day (save, perhaps, next Saturday).

2) The feeling of indignation is at its height now. With every passing day it will diminish and a call to protest in a week's time might well receive a luke-warm response.

Re the route: While there is a natural temptation to want to march down North Street or to the Council House, there is clearly a danger that if just one person in the march did anything silly, all the good work would be ruined. As for visibility, yes, of course, it's not very visible in terms of passers-by seeing it, but they're not the target audience: press cameras are, and they will get their photos at the start and finish.

Now how about more ideas for things to do at the new site when we get there?

There's not going to be anyone at the council house on Sunday though, plus anyone who has driven to AG for open day will then have to get back to get cars etc, whereas if we march from our old home to our potential new one it has a more symbolic meaning. Plus i'd prefer redtrousers to not even get given the time of day, it will hurt him a lot more to get no attention and no business than to have another audience.

This won't be the only thing we do believe me, myself and the other board members of the ST are as fuming as everyone else is, we just needed to put something together in a hurry whilst we have such a large audience at AG on Sunday. A petition will also be following shortly (which can again be signed at open day, and I am sure online sooner rather than later as well)

We really are all trying to sort things out, lots of people are busily working in the background believe me.

Good Work Dolls am absolutely fuming this week has been so bad for me on a personal level so would be nice to vent some vocal frustrations and march side by side like minded people that want Bristol not just City move in to the future rather than dwelling and lingering in NIMBYISIM

Regardless of whether the march goes to Ashton Vale or College Green, please everyone be on your best behaviour with no threats of violence or any utterings of bad language. We want to be seen in a positive light, not as a bunch of foul mouthed thugs to be shunned. Not only will the Council be possibly watching, but the EP will prob be there to report on the event.

Hi Dolly, thanks for organising. I can see where you're coming from. It is a great idea to strike whilst the iron's hot. I (like many others, I'm sure) won't be able to make it on Sunday, but this march should be seen as the first of many steps. There's plenty more time for other protests in the coming week. The Millwall game would be a great chance for everyone to join in. Maybe a few placards could be made, so they're on display when the highlights are eventually shown on the BBC (probably half 1 in the morning!).

Archived