IGNORED

How Good Are Coppell's Connections?

herman

am i the only one wondering exactly how well our new manager is linked up to the rest of the footballing world?

it interests me, for starters, that he brought no staff with him and didn't replace pete johnson with another scout. he taped over the hole with an internal appointment which stretches the resources at the club. the signing of adomah was a positive sign, however moves for cisse, sonko, rosenior etc simply imply he only really knows players he has worked with before. big names like stead don't require much brainwork

i was surprised to find myself thinking this, given his reputation for uncovering unearthed gems, however it seems the link with irish players (according to reading fans at the time) was actually via brian mcdermott, and rumour has it SC didn't even see some of them play before they came over. whether that is true or not i have no idea. but it has all left me wondering exactly how big his book of contacts really is.

in the PL now with the 25 man squad rule, you have the double edged sword that some potential loanees will have to be included, but also that those at the age of 22, 23 who do not make the 25 are essential loan candidates, and if i was SC i would surely be trying to get in some of them.

anyone got a better impression on his connections inside the game? i don't remember the club ever having had this much trouble signing players, and i find his excuses about money a litte off the mark - players like elliott, fontaine, clarkson etc hardly came in on huge money. i am not criticising anyone, i am just beginning to wonder if we shouldn't have employed a proper scout as soon as GJ went, since it was blatantly obvious pete would follow (who knows if adomah was his tip?)

am i the only one wondering exactly how well our new manager is linked up to the rest of the footballing world?

it interests me, for starters, that he brought no staff with him and didn't replace pete johnson with another scout. he taped over the hole with an internal appointment which stretches the resources at the club. the signing of adomah was a positive sign, however moves for cisse, sonko, rosenior etc simply imply he only really knows players he has worked with before. big names like stead don't require much brainwork

i was surprised to find myself thinking this, given his reputation for uncovering unearthed gems, however it seems the link with irish players (according to reading fans at the time) was actually via brian mcdermott, and rumour has it SC didn't even see some of them play before they came over. whether that is true or not i have no idea. but it has all left me wondering exactly how big his book of contacts really is.

in the PL now with the 25 man squad rule, you have the double edged sword that some potential loanees will have to be included, but also that those at the age of 22, 23 who do not make the 25 are essential loan candidates, and if i was SC i would surely be trying to get in some of them.

anyone got a better impression on his connections inside the game? i don't remember the club ever having had this much trouble signing players, and i find his excuses about money a litte off the mark - players like elliott, fontaine, clarkson etc hardly came in on huge money. i am not criticising anyone, i am just beginning to wonder if we shouldn't have employed a proper scout as soon as GJ went, since it was blatantly obvious pete would follow (who knows if adomah was his tip?)

Ok, so he's gone after 3 ex Reading players, but he's also gone for Stead, Grant, Hunt and James (so we're led to believe), so it's not just ex Reading players

Elliott needed to revive his career, I bet he was in no place to bargain. Fontaine came in L1 and was a young lad wanting to play football, I doubt if he bargained too hard either. Clarkson came from Motherwell, hardly the most flush club in Scotland! The other people you've mentioned are all established pro's and would expect a good wage, as is their right. I think that there's other reasons around people not coming to City besides money, pay offs from other clubs, uprooting family etc

If GJ fancied Adomah I'm sure he would've gone and got him, he done a lot of business early. Maybe he did try and get him, maybe Adomah prefered us to Peterboro - but that is so unlikely seeing as how unattractive we are to most people out there......

Worry not, I'm sure SC will get this sorted - was never going to happen overnight my friend

I would expect Steve Coppell to have very good contacts. He has played at the Highest level alongside and against quite a few of todays managers. He has been busy on the media scene so must make contacts there as well.

The OPs comments about looking at players SC has worked with before is a trust thing and is no different to what Gary Johnson did when he arrived.

Lets just cut SC some slack and comment once we reach a minute past midnight on 1 September 2010 and know the full story.

Better than most peoples on here I would imagine. Seeing as he has played and managed at the highest level.

i couldnt agree more with this statment ............. ffs didnt take long for the negative posts to get going did it ......most clubs when a new manager comes in they get a couple of years to get there own players and mould the team .......

not here though eh ..... because of the negativty of how some people think we want it all yesterday ..... i have complete lunatics that sit by me in the dolman who have the same train of thought .....

and to be honest i just got um down as moaning inpatiant W ankers ...........

he will have loads of contacts,

the biggest problem for BCFC is our location,

most players we can afford also have interest from other clubs, We are not likely to be offering silly money so it is probably a case of which club is nearer to where the players come from. dont get me wrong of course players are pro's but if a club of equal ability was offering you the same amount of money you would probably choose a club nearer your roots.

I believe the loan system is going to be our best bet, with the new 25 rule, in the prem, some good players should be available, hopefully we can get some better players in than would normally be expected to sign for city. We only have to stump up part of the wages and with no signing on fee involved it is probably the best route.

i think coppell will be making lots of enquires. he wants to succeed make no mistake about that.

I would say his contacts are impeccable, as is his deserved reputation.

Exactly right.

The 'problem' is that the West Country historically is not a hotbed of football and outside of the area we are still seen as one of the smaller clubs. Add to that the location and its easy to see why some players don't want to come here. At least 90mins from Birmingham and 2 hours from London is enough to put some players off.

Add to that the fact that the club quite rightly refuses to pay silly money to entice players here and it becomes easy to see why City managers sometimes find it hard to attract good quality players.

Exactly right.

The 'problem' is that the West Country historically is not a hotbed of football and outside of the area we are still seen as one of the smaller clubs. Add to that the location and its easy to see why some players don't want to come here. At least 90mins from Birmingham and 2 hours from London is enough to put some players off.

Add to that the fact that the club quite rightly refuses to pay silly money to entice players here and it becomes easy to see why City managers sometimes find it hard to attract good quality players.

as i said originally, i am curious, not meaning to criticise

i just find it a bit convenient how suddenly no one wants to come to the west country, although it never seemed to be a big problem before...

i just find it a bit convenient how suddenly no one wants to come to the west country, although it never seemed to be a big problem before...

Name one quality player that has signed for City in recent years? Don't include those like Hartley who are in the swansong of thier careers.

Name one quality player that has signed for City in recent years? Don't include those like Hartley who are in the swansong of thier careers.

that depends how you define "quality" - anytime someone makes a point like mine, a series of sarcastic "oh, so you'd sign messi?" style arguments appear

we got to the playoff final on the back of (admittedly a lot of luck but also) signings like elliott, fontaine etc - not in the same wage bracket as hunt and stead. blackpool got promoted without, i am sure, paying anyone 12k a week or more.

a lot of people are confusing a valid point of "if coppell has so many contacts, why are we suddenly having much more trouble attracting players than before?" (and the likes of o'flynn etc clearly show that our standards aren't higher - in fact, i think guys like meteb who previous management tried to get are clearly better players than stead) with blind panic and criticism. all i said was we should have examined whether or not coppell played a major role in uncovering players at his former clubs, and given that the answer seems to be no (which in no way effects his reputation) then tried to appoint a scout who would be able to help out in that capacity

please don't throw tar me wiht the same brush of people panicking blindly, i think it is a fair point to ask how involved coppell really was in unearthing the players whom he is credited with turning into stars while at reading

think about it. gj never went for Premier League type players. He always concentrated on the lower leagues or scotland. maybe he had the same constraints. maybe we are not that attractive to the big time charlies. unless we really go for it we may always be seen as country cousins. but, what the hell, lets just prove em all wrong and have fun.

Archived