IGNORED

What A Load Of Tosh

Keith_Lemon

...it's a fan's view written by Barry Hayes - a City supporter who has been commenting on each of our matches and our prospects in the Observer for a few seasons now.

Is Barry on here?

Dunno.....but he used to be a schoolmate of mine and we attended a lot of games together :me?:

I didn't know he was writing for the Observer, so thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Have been seeing a lot of predictions recently of Leeds going up again, I really don't get it they've lost beckford and basically have the same L1 team that just managed to scrape promotion...am I missing something???

I would love to see them go straight back down or at least struggle. their supporters are so bloody arrogant!

The predictions were actually in the Observer, owned by Guardian Media.

Anyway, we were actually tipped by the Watford fan for top three !

Also, no one, apart from S****horpe (23rd) predicted their club would finish lower than 14th and the QPR fan was totally underwhelmed by their signings.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/01/bristol-city-championship-steve-coppell

Prediction: 14th? :disapointed2se:

A big if for Maynard to shine this season with Hartley gone!:disapointed2se:

Going up? Sorry Leeds, Norwich, and Boro? :grr:

I think this article is the worse one I have ever read on Bristol City, this guy has a pea brain and obviously has no idea about us!

where do we finish and who goes up then?

http://www.guardian....p-steve-coppell

I think this article is the worse one I have ever read on Bristol City, this guy has a pea brain and obviously has no idea about us!

As others have said it was a City fan's view not The Guardian's view. I do think he put too much emphasis on the importance of Hartley, but having said that we do need a creative midfielder, and someone with a left foot! Surprised at his promotion predictions mind!

Does it matter? The Championship is incredibly tight and unpredictable, so it is anybodys guess how we will do. Don't think it's unreasonable though, I think it will be a transitional season, and the capture of James is making many fans overlook the weaknesses in the squad. Having said that, if Blackpool can do it, anything is possible.

http://www.guardian....p-steve-coppell

I enjoyed reading the Watford Fans' prediction though :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/01/bristol-city-championship-steve-coppell

What the hell are you talking about? I agree with pretty much all that this guy says.

I presume you are one of these "We've got Coppell and James so we must get promoted" types.

If this is the case then you are exactly the sort of impatient supporter that makes me worry!

Enjoy the Coppell ride, but ffs give him time!

As for the promotion predictions:

1) Leeds - Wouldn't be surprised to see them go straight to the top end of the table.

2) Norwich - Under Lambert, one of the teams that I fear most in this season's Championship.

3) Boro - Many people's tip, but I actually think they might struggle. Delusions of grandeur IMO, a bit like you seem to have for us!

I'm all for excitement and positivity, but if we are not in the top 6 at Christmas, will you be calling for Coppell's head?

Get real, ffs!

:bruce_h4h:

What the hell are you talking about? I agree with pretty much all that this guy says.

I presume you are one of these "We've got Coppell and James so we must get promoted" types.

If this is the case then you are exactly the sort of impatient supporter that makes me worry!

1) Leeds - Wouldn't be surprised to see them go straight to the top end of the table.

2) Norwich - Under Lambert, one of the teams that I fear most in this season's Championship.

3) Boro - Many people's tip, but I actually think they might struggle. Delusions of grandeur IMO, a bit like you seem to have for us!

I'm all for excitement and positivity, but if we are not in the top 6 at Christmas, will you be calling for Coppell's head?

Get real, ffs!

Actually matey boy if you look at my past postings not for one second I have said we must get promotion this season. I'm actually the one who tried telling other people it's going to take time with Coppell! Perhaps you should look over your evidence first before posting that. Also I expect us to finish higher than 14th, we should be looking to finish at around 9th/10th this season.

Adding to this Leeds, Norwich, Boro will not be the teams promoted in my opinion but will find themselves just below mid table with perhaps Boro fishing around a play off place. I hope to think you will give me an apology!

Actually matey boy if you look at my past postings not for one second I have said we must get promotion this season. I'm actually the one who tried telling other people it's going to take time with Coppell! Perhaps you should look over your evidence first before posting that. Also I expect us to finish higher than 14th, we should be looking to finish at around 9th/10th this season.

Adding to this Leeds, Norwich, Boro will not be the teams promoted in my opinion but will find themselves just below mid table with perhaps Boro fishing around a play off place. I hope to think you will give me an apology!

the points difference between those 2 positions the season before last was 3 points. so your prediction might not be as far off his as you think.

The Press Association's form pundit (I have no idea who writes it) is more optimistic. Written before last week's fabulous transfer news he/she says this:

Bristol City

Manager: Steve Coppell

Position last season: 10th

Nickname: The Robins

Ground: Ashton Gate

Capacity: 21,497

Players in: Kalifa Cisse (Reading, undisclosed), Albert Adomah (Barnet,

tribunal)

Players out: Brian Wilson (released), Jamie McCombe (Huddersfield,

undisclosed), Frankie Artus (Cheltenham, free), Paul Hartley (Aberdeen, free)

Key man: Nicky Maynard

Chances: New manager Steve Coppell has a proven track record in this division

and takes over a settled squad that has gone close before. Keeping Nicky Maynard

fit and in form will help the Robins finish in the play-off places.

Prediction: 3rd

They have Forest down as Champions and Boro as r/up.

Get real, ffs!

Of course I am happy to apologise if I have misjudged you (although please take note of the highlighted words in my previous post).

If you are 'the one' (as obviously nobody else has said it) that has encouraged patience among the supporters with Coppell, then good on you. However, if you appreciate that this season is likely to be a transitional one, I fail to understand how you can (apparently) take offence at somebody suggesting that we may finish 14th.

I don't suppose that there is any chance of an apology for referring to me as 'matey boy', given that I am neither a boy or your mate?

:closedeyes:

442 are tipping us to finish 8th. Seems a reasonable prediction, but I think we'll finish a bit higher. Maybe the play-offs and can't see us being too far behind the top 2.

With a fully fit squad I'd be feeling rather optimistic but I can't see us getting anywhere near top 2 if we're not gonna have a fit Maynard for another month or two. We need him and Haynes back a.s.a.p if we're gonna mount a big promotion charge imo. I'm liking the look of our squad when fully fit however.

With a fully fit squad I'd be feeling rather optimistic but I can't see us getting anywhere near top 2 if we're not gonna have a fit Maynard for another month or two. We need him and Haynes back a.s.a.p if we're gonna mount a big promotion charge imo. I'm liking the look of our squad when fully fit however.

Yeah. Would be alot more confident if we had a fully fit squad. Will be interesting to see if we bring in a striker and possibly a leftsided midfielder in the next 2 days. That could tip the balance in our favour. Still think that people predicting a mid-table finish are a bit pessimistic, bearing in mind how we finished last season. Not sure the transition period will be as bad as people fear, as we kept Millen on this should give us some continuity. Our first few fixtures don't look the hardest on paper either, so probably best to have injuries now, rather than when we are playing the top teams.

I would love to see them go straight back down or at least struggle. their supporters are so bloody arrogant!

Got to admit, this made me laugh out loud !!!!

PDG

PS As predictions go, Maynard out long term is a big blow. Added to other injuries we are going to be far from full strength for the start of the season, so tbh i don`t know. Top 10 would be easier with a steady confident start to the season, a bit of a struggle if we have to play catch up when our top players come back. Clarkson is going to get his chance it seems but NM he is not. I really don`t know how this is going to pan out but looking at the big picture i`d be happy with a mid-table at worse, it`s going to take some time for Coppell to have the squad as he`d like it i think.

PDG (again)

Archived