IGNORED

Clarkson

glastonred

I know Maynard & Haynes are out injured, and I know Nicky's our main striker, and we'll miss his eye for a goal, but surely Clarkson has done enough to be considered for a longer run in the team than he's ever been given. He rarely scores spectacular goals like Nicky, but a winning poached goal is still worth the same points. Clarkson's done well in pre-Season and I for one would not hesitate to give him a fair number of consecutive games. He's never been given the chance before and I think he could soon become a crowd favourite.

I know Maynard & Haynes are out injured, and I know Nicky's our main striker, and we'll miss his eye for a goal, but surely Clarkson has done enough to be considered for a longer run in the team than he's ever been given. He rarely scores spectacular goals like Nicky, but a winning poached goal is still worth the same points. Clarkson's done well in pre-Season and I for one would not hesitate to give him a fair number of consecutive games. He's never been given the chance before and I think he could soon become a crowd favourite.

one million % agree he had a bad season last year didnt have a proper pre season and was plagued by illness and injury i think this year with delivery into the box he could get 10-15 goals if given the chance

Deffo. Depending on the Seriousness of NM's and DH's injuries and of course who else is brought in, i would love to see him given a run as i think he will flourish. I would prefer Clarky over Haynes as he would offer something different.

On that note this could be a Important season for Haynes. If Maynard, Clarkson and A.N Other are impressing up front and Sprouley (never been a fan but has had a good pre-season, hoppefully SC will bring the best out of him), JCR and Adomah are playing well in the wide positions i think he might struggle to nail down a place in the starting XI, just my opinion mind!!

Cheers,

Whites.

In all my posts regarding our front line this summer I have continually supported Clarky for a run in the team. He plays a role that none of our other front players can fill - In the hole behind the main striker - His link up play is first class as he showed with the ball for Ivan's goal as well as another scintilating 40 yard cross field pass to again release Sprouley yesterday.

With Maynard and Haynes out injured he will almost certainly start against Millwall so I guess the rest is up to him.

Quality player IMO

Clarky looks to me like what he needs is confidence. He can finish, he has some good vision and touch, and he's clever. Not a big targetman or a lightning fast poacher - but a player with some craft who will need patience and support given the blow his self belief must have taken last season.

He will get a chance and I hope he takes it.

From peoples reviews on here from pre season and the bit and bobs we seen of him from least season, he seems very much to be a similar player as Steve Brooker

I wouldn't say that similar, he has the guile but Brooker was a bit stronger aerially & on the ground.

Well, we all see things from a different perspective and for me Clarkson is nothing like the sort of player Brooker was (or is).

Brooker is a centre forward in old money, Clarkson is better played in a deeper position as he's a bit too slow to play up front on the shoulder of defenders, and he certainly isn't as aggressive a player as Brooker.

I wouldn't mind a Stevie Brooker in the side now ..

A fit and all guns firing Brooker and Maynard - there's a thought.

I'd say that's about spot on. Wouldn't have occurred to me to compare the two, either. I always feel a tinge of regret whenever Brooker's name comes up, because when fit and in form I'd rate him one of the very best, more-or-less orthodox centre forwards I've seen at the Gate.

Clarkson is a very different type of player, I'd say. I saw him quite a few times in reserve team football last season. The viral illness left him completely drained of energy for a very long time and he was dragging himself around the pitch. You had to feel sorry for him. He endured a thoroughly miserable time and there is no way you could make a reliable judgement about him based on a season when few players really did themselves justice. Despite all that, he still looked an intelligent player with a good football brain, who likes to play the way Teddy Sheringham did (though I'm not of course suggesting he's in that class). Playing just behind a front man, he links play and brings others in, and when faced with scoring opportunities he is quite a composed finisher. If he gets a run in the side I would be hopeful we'll see a very different player this time around and I think he's definitely got something to offer.

Well, we all see things from a different perspective and for me Clarkson is nothing like the sort of player Brooker was (or is).

Brooker is a centre forward in old money, Clarkson is better played in a deeper position as he's a bit too slow to play up front on the shoulder of defenders, and he certainly isn't as aggressive a player as Brooker.

are you saying brooker was quick?

Nice comparison and not one that anyone else has considered, possibly because it wouldn't occur to them!

From what I saw of Clarkson last season it was obvious that he wan't 100% fit at any point but it was obvious that he's a clever player both with the ball and with his movement. Under Coppell he should get chance to show his quality especially with Maynard and Haynes not fit yet.

Brooker at his best was/is some player. Strong, hard and a great finisher. Different from Clarkson who is more of a team player with more variety to his game. I doubt we'll see Clarkson scoring many Brooker type goals. I remember his winner against Norwich in added time. No other City striker in the last 15 years would have a) been there and b) finished it. If Brooker can stay fit Donny fans will love him.

I've said in the past and still maintain that clarkson has a better first touch and better movement in the box than any other forward at the gate, maynard included

I don't think you'll get much arguement. Maynards movement is not the strongest part of his game. Just look at how many spectacular goals he scores compared to the number of simple 'tap-ins'. His best quality is the combination of knowing where the goal is from virtually any position and ability to hit the target. One 'old boy' told me that Maynard scores goals in a similair fashion to the way John Atyeo used to. Like Maynard he was never afraid to shoot from anywhere.

I've said in the past and still maintain that clarkson has a better first touch and better movement in the box than any other forward at the gate, maynard included

I agree. A poster on another thread doesn't rate him and expresses a desire for a "big lump" up front but Clarkson's presence and skills encourage us to play the ball on the ground, as we did yesterday, as opposed to hoofing long balls to that kind of player. Personally I hope we have seen the last of "big lumps" in our team and in English football (and the England team) in general. Given a run I am convinced Clarkson would improve our style of play and make chances for Maynard and others (as he did for Ivan yesterday) as well as get his fair share of goals.

Just got him 80/1 e/w with William Hill to top score the Championship, long shot I know but worth it at that price

Hmm 80/1. If he hits the ground running he's got a great chance of making the shirt his own with both nicky and Danny playing catch up fitness wise.

I really hope he has a good season, not just for the team bit for himself as last year must of been hell for him.

I would be happy for Clarkson to start, he has every chance of doing well.

I dont get the love in with Brooker though, put him in our league 1 team by all means but we have progressed way past what he can offer, even if he was fully fit.

Cant agree with that. You obviously didnt see enough of him, simple as that.

Archived