IGNORED

Testimonials

Robbored

In view of Tinnions Testimonial year maybe nows the time to ask the question about the morality of the testimonial concept.

I would argue that is morally wrong to take advantage of fans by having testimonials for any player (unless,like Niall Quinn and Ryan Giggs the proceeds go to charity).

Professional players have priveleged life. Most have top,paid for medical cover.They earn good money(even in the 2nd Division) and have the protection of and excellant "union" in the PFA should they fall upon hard times in later life.

Most fans (as we see on here) have much tougher lives.Money is tight, and in many cases jobs are often poorly paid. Yet all the fans money taken at testimonials outside the Premiership go directly into the players bank account and we are talking thousands and thousands of pounds to people who already earn a very good wage.You've only got to look at the cars that the City players drive to see that.

Personally I think the whole concept is wrong and I won't be supporting Tinnions or any other players testimonial if the money isn't destined for charity.

I'd agree it's always better if at least some of the money goes to charity. But, i think testimonials are as much about the fans paying tribute to a long serving (and usually popular) player as much as it is about the player in question picking up a big paycheck. Someone like Tinnion deserves the recognition that this will bring him.

I respect your stance on this Robbo, though clearly I don't agree.

Anyone who shares your views can simply not turn up for the game and donate the admission price to the charity of their choice. Or the brewery of their choice :whistle:

but most people don't invest all their time and efforts, foresaking further/higher education etc for a career that may end in their mid-thirties. Wrong for the super-dooper earners of the premiership, but personally I believe a necessary pension for the lower leaguers.

Can we criticise players for seeking the big bucks elsewhere (as some have in the past), then criticise those who haven't and have stayed loyal for taking advantage of an established and accepted tradition?

Anyone who shares your views can simply not turn up for the game and donate the admission price to the charity of their choice. Or the brewery of their choice :dunno:

I will definately do that - donate to charity I mean, not the Brewery.. :whistle:

Personally I think the whole concept is wrong and I won't be supporting Tinnions or any other players testimonial if the money isn't destined for charity.

It's absolutely fine that you don't approve of testimonials, though I don't much see the worth in telling people so. They will either approve and support Tins or stay away.

By the way, thanks for all your hard work for Tins' Testimonial Quiz Night. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Makes me wonder how you were able to bend your morals on that occasion, though.

Tins' Testimonial Quiz Night Link.

I tend to agree with you Robbo, but I'll certainly make an exception for Tinman. It did make me angry when I saw the Martin Keown testimonial, someone like him surely doesn't need the money.

I have to say they are a good thing for someone like Jamie Shaw, whos career has been destroyed by injury.

I think a lot of people over-estimate the earning power of most lower division players over their lifetime. A testimonial is a chance for a decent lump-sun to see them through what could be a 50-year retirement, and the single-minded devotion and commitment required from an early age to carve a career in football, even at the lower league level, often means players have not studied or been trained for another profession - certainly not to climb on the job ladder at a salary level one might expect for someone aged 35-40.

Many fans - myself included - would love the chance to pay tribute to Tinman for his loyalty. Let's not forget that in the early days he was treated appallingly by some yobbish fans who abused him and his family at home and spat on him etc. Despite that, he stuck with the club and has become a legend.

Being a footballer isn't like most other jobs. There are many, many perks, but I'll wager a good percentage of the fans will earn more over their lifetime than a player in a lower division team who fails to make the grade as a manager over the long term. Sure, there are Premiership charlies on multi-million pound contracts. But for every one there are half a dozen who have devoted their lives to the game, and to enriching our lives, and who face a bleak future after leaving the game in their 30s.

Being a football fan isn't like being a customer of most other businesses either. City players are my idols, even now. In my job I've interviewed prime ministers, movie stars and pop stars, yet the only time I'm star-struck is when I meet City players. Sure, we don't go out of our way to hold parties for an assistant at the local chemist who's been serving us for 10 years, or the milkman/postie/paperboy who's been visiting our doorstep for a decade. And you can argue that nurses, doctors, teachers etc are worthy of tribute.

But the simple fact of the matter is that Tinman has played a central role in some of the most memorable moments of my life, of which the Liverpool FA Cup win was just one, and I want a chance to thank him.

Bristol City make my life better. They bring me emotional highs and lows beyond most things in life, however illogical that is and however unimportant a game of football appears on paper. I live for Saturday afternoons, like thousands of others. Tinman has been loyal to the club I love, and I will be there to pay tribute to him.

If you don't agree with it, then the beauty of living in an free country is that you don't have to come. You can spend your money how you like. But for me, the price of a ticket to the testimonial will be a small one to pay to say: "Thanks for the memories, Brian."

Agree with RedTop on this one. Tins loyalty and dedication to BCFC is rare in the game these days and he deserves a testimonial. If I didn't know better I would swear that him mum gave birth to him on a seat in the Dolman stand!!!

What Naill Quinn did in donating to charity is admirable but he's probably made more in signing on bonuses for his transfers from club to club than Tins has made his entire career, played at Prem & International level so received higher goal & win bonuses, sponsorships, etc and is I'm sure set for life financially. One thing that bothered me about his testimonial is how many clubs did he play for and how long was he with Sunderland? Tinman's was awared to him as an honor for his services to BCFC and a way for us all to show our appreciation. Quinn's was more an end of good career thing. Different circumstances.

Wish I could get over there and thank Tins for the memories.....

Note to self....remember lottery ticket on way home!

Besides....how many times has Tins donated his time to charity causes over the years representing BCFC or gave up his own personal free time to stop and chat and sign autographs with fans while out shopping and such.

I'm sure it's a whole lot more than I have ever done for charity!

Guest Spunkwood

what relavence does Portsmouth have to Tinns though :dunno: yea I know Jim Smith is Assistant Boss but still I dont get it! :whistle:

Guest bath_red

Attendance at testimonials is not compulsory, so I have no problem with any player, being rewarded for years of loyal service.

I watched Keown's testimonial and did not see to many people who did not seem to enjoy an entertainig evening.

Tinnion, deserves the same support from all City fans.

Archived