IGNORED

Southend Match Thread

!james

I was of the opinion that pre season losses to Aldershot, Exeter and Torquay did not augur well.

I did not expect this start however. Following on from Saturday, a defeat throwing away a lead twice to a side who had to release many players over the summer and were in dire straits financially. An unacceptable start, things can only get better!

executedwolf- MORE injuries? Who was it this time, this is beyond a joke really!

I was of the opinion that pre season losses to Aldershot, Exeter and Torquay did not augur well.

I did not expect this start however. Following on from Saturday, a defeat throwing away a lead twice to a side who had to release many players over the summer and were in dire straits financially. An unacceptable start, things can only get better!

executedwolf- MORE injuries? Who was it this time, this is beyond a joke really!

I think he's referring to Skuse.

Even with all players fit the squad looks unbalanced, I don't think that the defence will be that good whoever plays (We are really going to miss Orr), the midfield lack creativity, goals and a left-sided player and we are too reliant on Maynard for goals. JCR, Sproule, Albert, Haynes - All similar types of players.

Most worryingly, the team spirit looks to be sadly lacking. Sides normally raise their game at times of adversity.

best post ive read 4 ages nail on head n all that

We have EIGHT first team players out for good sake, and not a single fit centre back, of course we are going to look weak and inbalanced. Get a grip.

Yep - and Southend only had two players on their books a few weeks ago after having to release/sell the rest of the squad due to their financial difficulties. No excuses - letting a 2-1 lead slip against a team like that is a joke.

If GJ was still in charge and produced a 0-3 home league defeat followed by a 2-3 away cup defeat to a shambles like Southend I'd be p*ssed off. I'm not going to laugh it off just because Coppell is now in charge.

Pre-season results were crap and so have our first two in competitive games. Time to show us what you've got in the locker Steve!

Can't score, can't defend, can't keep the ball, otib in meltdown.. thank **** this is a work in progress! Always Believe!

First of all please stop with the 'Always Believe' its embarrasing. Basso has gone Johnson has gone were in a different era.

Guys come on the carling cup is not important, what else do Southend have else to look foward to this season huh? I would rather we were out so we focus on the league and get players fit and keep them fit. Yes Im sure we played awful but were in no different circumstance to Nottm Forest. With two games played alot of you are pushing the panic button already and its very irritating. Alot of you thought City would get promoted this season, but at the moment your dreams are evaporating. As Coppell said when he first joined it would take 3 years in order to build a side worthy of promotion. At this current moment we have a very poor unbalanced side.

Players such as McAllister, Sproule, Clarkson, Elliot, Nyatanga, Styvar are deadwood and need to leave the club. But this is not a process that takes a few days or weeks, it could take two or three seasons to see these guys leave. The most important thing is not changing the core of the football club.

Accept it that we will probably be in this league next season. And by then have a more balanced, fit, secure squad who will experience their first season at City and first season under Coppell. Let's get that squad first who understand the aim's of the club. And then take it by the horns and show them what we got.

We may have a very bumpy season but if it is better in the long run so be it. We must overcome the darkness in order to see the light first.

Up the Reds, and give Coppell your full backing!

:city:

First of all please stop with the 'Always Believe' its embarrasing. Basso has gone Johnson has gone were in a different era.

Guys come on the carling cup is not important, what else do Southend have else to look foward to this season huh? I would rather we were out so we focus on the league and get players fit and keep them fit. Yes Im sure we played awful but were in no different circumstance to Nottm Forest. With two games played alot of you are pushing the panic button already and its very irritating. Alot of you thought City would get promoted this season, but at the moment your dreams are evaporating. As Coppell said when he first joined it would take 3 years in order to build a side worthy of promotion. At this current moment we have a very poor unbalanced side.

Players such as McAllister, Sproule, Clarkson, Elliot, Nyatanga, Styvar are deadwood and need to leave the club. But this is not a process that takes a few days or weeks, it could take two or three seasons to see these guys leave. The most important thing is not changing the core of the football club.

Accept it that we will probably be in this league next season. And by then have a more balanced, fit, secure squad who will experience their first season at City and first season under Coppell. Let's get that squad first who understand the aim's of the club. And then take it by the horns and show them what we got.

We may have a very bumpy season but if it is better in the long run so be it. We must overcome the darkness in order to see the light first.

Great post.

However I think we all give Coppell our backing, it's just some of the players are underperforming and forgetting to do the simple things correctly (I.e defending, simple passes, communication etc) it's these sorts of mistakes that cost teams so deerley.

Technically you are right, of course, but as I commented yesterday, it's like groundhog day. Thirty years I've been watching our club and in all that time whoever the current manager has been has been the one to get us settled then take us forward. What actually happens, bar the odd promotion and season or two of relative success, is we don't make it. The manager is sacked or leaves and we're back to square one. It's a vicious circle that never ends.

I'm not too dispondent. I am certainly concerned, but I don't blame the manager or the team at all. We barely have enough players to field a side. It's just one of those things, but I wouldn't be the most surprised person if a year or two down the line we are talking about giving a new manager time to establish a squad before he takes us toward the promised land. Maybe one day it'll happen

Yep - and Southend only had two players on their books a few weeks ago after having to release/sell the rest of the squad due to their financial difficulties. No excuses - letting a 2-1 lead slip against a team like that is a joke.

If GJ was still in charge and produced a 0-3 home league defeat followed by a 2-3 away cup defeat to a shambles like Southend I'd be p*ssed off. I'm not going to laugh it off just because Coppell is now in charge.

Pre-season results were crap and so have our first two in competitive games. Time to show us what you've got in the locker Steve!

Pretty much sum's things up last couple of seasons have gone backwards the same problems back again, no leadership with Paul Hartley gone no midfield play maker ,defence who can't mark or close down runners let alone defend from free kicks or dead ball situations....God knows how bad Blackpool were ???? Didn't expect anything this season seeing what a shambles the team was until Millen pulled some pride and spirit back but with injuries and just poor players filling in anything above the drop zone will do ....

Im pretty upset to lose tonight as will be the Chairman! The League Cup is a great revenue source if you can pull a premier league or attractive championship side out of the bag, however it is not to be

Lets just see how the current injuries shape up

Carey

Cisse

Vokes

Haynes

Maynard

Ribero

and now Skuse

I dont necessarily subscribe to the theory that injuries are an excuse for poor performance as the players coming in should be up to take their chance, nevertheless add this to a team that is also full of new boys Hunt, Adomah and Stewart and James (not tonight) there is a case for some bedding in.

Tonights team of Gerkin Hunt Skuse Fontaine McAlister Williams Johnson JCR Sproule Clarkson Adomah should have been to strong for Southend but it wasn't, these players have no excuse for this defeat and none should be offered by the staff or the players themselves.

Now is not the time for panic, whether you are a fan or a player or a coach, regardless of how attractive that might be, now is the time for the fit players to get heads out of backsides and work hard to justify their salary...we cant ask for anymore

Archived