IGNORED

Back From Southend.......

The Chaplain

Just got back, very depressing stuff!

Started brightly, helped by the early goal obviously, but seemed to be sharper and quicker than Saturday. As the game wore on though, and especially after they equalised all the energy seemed to go, they gained in confdidence and we retreated. After the first 20 mins of the 2nd half we had Gerken to thank for not being 3 or 4-3 down. Akinde came on and made a big difference, contributed to our 2nd, but was unable to sustain it. An all too familiar late goal and they seemed far more up for it in injury time. Hunt let the guy cross far too easily for their simple headed winner.

A good humoured and positive away following was probably more than the team deserved. yes it's only the League Cup, I'm not too fussed about the result, but the performance was similar to the one I witnessed at Aldershot and this was pretty much the strongest team avaliable to us. Make no mistake, forget about settling for mid-table and concentrating on a promotion push next season, the current personnel, given our injuries, will not be good enough to stay in the Championship.

Just back too. Not an entertaining two hours; it's going to be a long old season. However for me AKinde and Adomah were two positives. The one thing I did find strange was that after starting last game with two holding midfielders (at home), we started an away game with none. I don't think jcr. Williams and Johnson could tackle a crossword puzzle between them.

Started brightly, helped by the early goal obviously, but seemed to be sharper and quicker than Saturday. As the game wore on though, and especially after they equalised all the energy seemed to go, they gained in confdidence and we retreated. After the first 20 mins of the 2nd half we had Gerken to thank for not being 3 or 4-3 down. Akinde came on and made a big difference, contributed to our 2nd, but was unable to sustain it. An all too familiar late goal and they seemed far more up for it in injury time. Hunt let the guy cross far too easily for their simple headed winner.

A good humoured and positive away following was probably more than the team deserved. yes it's only the League Cup, I'm not too fussed about the result, but the performance was similar to the one I witnessed at Aldershot and this was pretty much the strongest team avaliable to us. Make no mistake, forget about settling for mid-table and concentrating on a promotion push next season, the current personnel, given our injuries, will not be good enough to stay in the Championship.

And they couldnt chip the midget :( thats got to be the smallest goalie ever (Ivan made him look silly though) no way is he 6ft what is says on wiki hes more like 5'6 or somthing tiny little keeper :( with our current personel were gonna be fealing the pain till mid september maybe later :(

People just got back from the Kurrsal.

In military terms "Your efforts tonight certainly went well beyond the call of normal duty" unfortunately it appears that your team did not have the same atitude?

Sleep well and again unlike the team you went to watch only another five hours before you have to get up to go to work!!!!

WE SALUTE YOU - The fans that is?

winner_third_h4h.gif

**** me you must drive quickly if you were back in time to post this at 5 to 11! ha (or are you based a little closer to southend?) we got back around 2am

Agree with much of what you have posted above, I thought williams had a good game but the number of times he picked the ball up in space and was dying for some movement in front of him was unbelievable! Sproule decided he didn't fancy being a winger and rather a CF so everytime gav looked out for help wide right he only had Hunt casually limbering over halfway.

Akinde looked a handful when he came on and seemed to have a lot more purpose with his runs, you could see he was scaring the s**t out of their 2 centre backs!

Adomah still looks out of his depth at this level but did well for the second goal to be fair to him,

Very dissapointing evening especially after the effort we all made to make it there but take the good with the bad and all that...

Next on the agenda - a similar journey North come 9am Saturday...

The original thread summed it up perfectly for me,so glad we were watching the same game, was a horrible evening really, took me 5 hours to get there so many bloody roadworks and traffic jams, then the game starts and we bang one in within a minute and for a while we were knocking the ball around quite nicely, they then started to take control(why do City constantly allow other teams to dominate) and got a very soft penalty, am I the only one who thought that JCR didn't have to touch the fella.

All second half we struggle to create anything in front of goal, as the guy states not for Gerkin we'd have been buried long before Sproule put us ahead with our only bit of football all evening, a low cross from the left would you believe, so there I was thinking that we were going to come through what turned out to be harder than I thought it should've been, forgive me for being a bit petty, but I really believe that a side two divisions below us should not be providing too much of a test.

Then of course we do what we are good at, stand off the winger so much as to give him a free cross which the header put the match into extra time,btw I thought there right winger Spencer looked very sharp and despite the freedom put in the sort of cross that we never see at the gate anymore, then of course the same thing happens for the winner only this time they profit from Nicky Hunt's generosity only this time it was on the opposite flank :grr: why oh why dont we stop crosses coming in, surely they'd be easier to defend if we stopped them altogether.

So you are thinking 15 minutes attacking our fans we'd pile on the pressure in search of an equaliser to avoid an upset(well the usual lower league embarrassment) but no we fade and die and allow Southend to progress, cue more roadworks on the way back , I then get home at 1am only to learn that Maynard is out for a long time.

I see a long season ahead here guys(I so want to be wrong here) the first two games haven't inspired me at all, it seems that our main problem is we cant defend(6 in 2 games) and we lack any punch up front, we don't create hardly any periods of sustained pressure, you know the kind where you are on top for 10-15 minutes i.e hitting the post/bar, having shots cleared off the line etc..

I agree that it;s going to take SC time, what worries me is that a lot of these players last night are first team players, how often are we crying out for the likes of Gav Williams and Clarkson to get runs in the team, yet last night these two were over-run by southend!

Anyhow thats my view, another 5 hour trip awaits saturday now, please lads if nothing else let's put up a fight for 90 minutes, I'd settle for any result so long as I see a bit of fire

Hunt let the guy cross far too easily for their simple headed winner.

I think he is carrying an injury from the Blackpool game still. He looked very sharp against Blackpool (admittedly they were poor), but was not the same player against Millwall. I wonder if they are playing him because they have to??

I think he is carrying an injury from the Blackpool game still. He looked very sharp against Blackpool (admittedly they were poor), but was not the same player against Millwall. I wonder if they are playing him because they have to??

Saying that, I thought he was very good on saturday up til the first Millwall goal - after that he pretty much capitulated, along with everybody else.

For those that went, how was Skusey in the defensive role?

Saying that, I thought he was very good on saturday up til the first Millwall goal - after that he pretty much capitulated, along with everybody else.

Skuse looked good to be fair to him (marv did a job aswell when called upon) but as one of the few players with Bristol blood in him I didnt expect anything but the 100% commitment Skusey showed in that role.

Personally I thought Hunt was absolutely terrible for the entire 90 minutes of both the Millwall and Southend fixtures, If he is carrying an injury then of course I can understand his below par performances but he looks at least 5 yards off the pace, his positional play is frankly terrible and he just didnt seem to give a damn as soon as he was beaten by the man.

This is all IMO of course but the same was being said by many of last nights travelling support. Both goals from open play were due to his misjudgement/poor defensive play, the equaliser by not bothering to track the runner and the winner for putting next to no pressure on the crosser.

I was as excited as the next person by this signing and fair enough to the lad if he is playing with a knock which will no doubt be affecting his play but on these two showings id much rather see a fully fit Edwards given the chance to allow Hunt back to full fitness.

I thought he did well under the cercumstances, tracked back well and gave gerkin good cover. We got nailed on Hunts side of the defence quite a bit but like others said he looks unfit and lumbers so I think edwards needs a run out, so nicky can recovery fully.

I was worried until I seen hayter is injured for saterday now I think a draw is on the cards :D

Doesn't say much for him considering "this level" last night was mid-table League Two at best?

I realised shortly after posting what a strange comment this was to make ha,

What I meant (in more depth) was something along the lines of... *deep breath* -

No doubt he did look more accomplished in taking on the league 2 wing backs but he was able to do the same whilst at Barnet, my point was meant to be similar to those that have been made numerous times on the subject - that he is an un polished diamond - he undoubtedly has the pace and skill to beat a player but its what he does with it after that makes him the unfinished article, as i said in my above post he did extremely well for Sprouley's goal - beating 2 players before getting his head up and firing a dangerous ball across the 6 yard box, however there were numerous times he could have done similar things but instead ran himself down dead end alleys thus losing the ball.

I think Coppell (along with many of us) can obviously see some POTENTIAL in the lad and although he wouldn't neccessarily slot in to all of our "first teams" if we had everyone available too us this game time will no doubt be doing him the world of good!

I thought Hunt was average on Saturday, did anyone else notice him pulling his socks up by the penalty spot seemingly unaware of the cross coming over then failing to jump when the ball was on his head for their first on Saturday, got turned inside out a few times, once for their 3rd I believe, he's simply not fit, looks miles of to me.

Archived