IGNORED

The Not Happy With Keith Millen Thread

Smokey

Keith is agood choice in my eyes, city through and through, he will steady the ship and i believe it may make for a better performance on sat at Donny, totally agree rather have 100% Keith than 50% coppell. lighten up, the fact that he has retired from management means that he would probably have gone from whoever he has managing anyway, may have done us a big favour

come on KEITH, get the boys playing again. FOD BARMY ARMY.

To be honest, I think the club were left with very little choice. They could have gone through the usual process of advertising, interviewing etc. That could have taken a while and all the while we and the club would be expecting Millen to sort out the mess, if he was even willing. And as the Coppell story has shown even the 'proper' method can still leave you falling flat on your face. I think in the circumstances it is the right move. No one knows how it will work out, and if I've learnt anything from years of following football, it's that you can rarely predict anything. We as supporters now have no choice but to give Keith our full support. He must at least have balls because he's got hell of a mess to sort out.

Good luck Keith.

I understand why and am not complaining but I dont believe my post deserves to be in the 'not so happy with Millen thread'.

Personally id have advertised the position as, if anything, we're probably a more attractive proposition now than we were when Coppell took over. However im not necessarily unhappy at the appointment, simply concerned by the length of time.

As has been mentioned, which not being able to view interviews I was unaware of, it appears Millen was in the process of a three year deal regardless which goes a long way to explaining what, on face value, appeared a rather baffling decision.

I do not believe we will battle relegation or especially struggle, but my expectations have shifted from 'could make play-offs' to 'happy with mid table obscurity' based on one, unavoidable, moment.

Which is why he has "retired from football management".

Lighten up - Coppell has left us because he doesnt want to be a manager of any football club.

Lansdown has been fantastic for our club, lets not start calling him desperate for making from what i can see is a fairly straight forward decision to make Keith manager.

Up the reds.

And if you believe that you will belive anything, Coppell will be back in football management, he has shown us huge disrespect, yes the chips are down through injuries, yes we may not have vast amount of money available for wages that he may like, but surely this is where a quality manager like we were led to believe shows exactly what he is worth....he bailed out cuz he knew we would struggle for a few months and it would tarnish his reputation. Leaving now after two games in charge keeps his reputation in some tact and he will get a good job again on back of what he did at Reading

The bloke is a c@nt

To be honest, I think the club were left with very little choice. They could have gone through the usual process of advertising, interviewing etc. That could have taken a while and all the while we and the club would be expecting Millen to sort out the mess, if he was even willing. And as the Coppell story has shown even the 'proper' method can still leave you falling flat on your face. I think in the circumstances it is the right move. No one knows how it will work out, and if I've learnt anything from years of following football, it's that you can rarely predict anything. We as supporters now have no choice but to give Keith our full support. He must at least have balls because he's got hell of a mess to sort out.

Good luck Keith.

I agree we were left with no choice at all, he guided us to saftey last year, wanted the job and was overlooked for a high profile manager. he deserves a chance but i now think this is gonna be a very long season for us and i am now very worried....

good coach and good caretaker (but pressure was not on him when he was caretaker) i think this is a very bad day for bcfc

I am happy with Millen, I would have preferred to have had him on a one year contract, if he keeps us up then he will have done well, I can't help think that Cockles walk out could set us back a couple of years.

Sensible post as always mate. Sorry to all the negative people but I totally agree with what actually appears to be a majority here.

KM has been at the club for a huge amount of time in football terms

Passionate about the club

Wants to see the club in the Premier League as much as SL

Knows what sort of football the fans want to see

Proved tactical knowledge in the few games he was in charge last season

Already knows the majority of players

My only gripe as with others is that perhaps 1 year would have been a better decision, but there's no point complaining now, the decision has been made.

Give him a chance! i have full belief in Millen. He done really well as caretaker manager and when he was in charge i think our defence looked a lot better. He fully respected in the club. Im not going to compare but look at Chris Hughton at Newcastle, he was a long serving and fully respected at Newcastle and he done a really good job there. This thread is typical of most people on this forum!

Millen is the right appointment. When you consider that there are two weeks left of the transfer window and it would probably take that time to find a new manager, then we really would have been up shit creek. Millen knows the team, he knows what is required in terms of what personnel need to be brought in and i'm told the players have the utmost respect for the guy, so they will play for him. Plus you can't ask a man to take over the management of the team and then reduce his existing 3yr deal down to one. Not exactly inspiring for him that sort of move.

Lest we forget that he put the square pegs in the square holes when Johnson left and the players responded to that as much as they did the change of management. Let's get behind the bloke shall we.

A three year contract for Millen is a huge mistake and has got be to looked apon with the same degree of disbelief as Tinnion's appointment.

This is a desperate move from Lansdown.

All of the euphoria of the close season has been blown away , not only by Coppell going but by this appointment as well.

Sure Millen did well as a caretaker at the end of a season with no pressure but to offer him 3 years is crazy.

Hopefully the reasons for Coppell leaving will become apparent , no money / players not wanting to move to the S/W Coppell not wanting James ?? That is now history.

What is more important is the future and it looks bleak

Keith was already on a 3 year contract so whats the point of changing it

Millen fine as caretaker for short term but not for 3 years

Cue Bashing from Happy Clappers ........

I'm not a happy clapper, but I hope I'm a realist.....can't you see the need for stability? Not least for the playing staff themselves?

Yes, if things don't work out for Keith which of course I hope they do, do you really think terminating a 3 year contract as team manger will be an issue? It's as though you think because someone is offered a contract for a certain length of time then that is the be all and end all....we all know that isn't the case now in the modern football world.

SL and the board have opted for stability in the face of a situation that no one could have foreseen.

Fair play to them.

Under Lansdown we have:-

Sacked Wilson

Appointed Tinnion

Sacked Tinnion

Appointed Johnson

Sacked Johnson

Appointed Coppell

Appointed Millen

I would have voted for 3 of these 7. We have certainly progressed as a club under his stewardship but this desision smacks of desparation. Millen as a stop gap is fine but is not the long term solution IMHO. Dull times ahead..

Under Lansdown we have:-

Sacked Wilson

Appointed Tinnion

Sacked Tinnion

Appointed Johnson

Sacked Johnson

Appointed Coppell

Appointed Millen

I would have voted for 3 of these 7. We have certainly progressed as a club under his stewardship but this desision smacks of desparation. Millen as a stop gap is fine but is not the long term solution IMHO. Dull times ahead..

Johnson resigned

There isn't a lot of great choice out there is there?

Dowie, Southgate, Robson?

No ***king thanks, KM will steady the ship if we give him the support he needs to help us through these bad times :city:

Absolutely. SPECIALLY if he gets a good outsider in to help. Be a bit worried if he didnt though.

millen is the cheap option, he got a few results when the players got rid of gj and there was a temporary feelgood factor,

3 years for a rookie boss ?? millen should have went when gj went , was he not the defensive coach of a team who conceeded 60 goals last season ???now he is the answer to our prayers ???

millen is the cheap option, he got a few results when the players got rid of gj and there was a temporary feelgood factor,

3 years for a rookie boss ?? millen should have went when gj went , was he not the defensive coach of a team who conceeded 60 goals last season ???now he is the answer to our prayers ???

Yes!

Quite mad, spend all that time and probably money getting Coppell in and then within 5 minutes of him going we give Millen a 3 year contract, why not just do that in the first place then? :disapointed2se:

Still, as long as we don't have to see some of the sh1te football that was served up last season at least we know that Millen aint gonna leave us in the lurch :fingerscrossed:

To give any footy manager a 3 year deal is hasty in my opinion, given how quickly results, fans and players can go against. To give a complete rookie, in pure management terms, such a contract is a poorly thought out decision, if thought out at all, given the speed of the decision.

What alarms me most about this situation is that (in the words of Sexstone) Millen was a close second to Coppell when the original summer appointment was made. Have we become a poor relation in the footballing world and decent managers have a reluctance to even apply for a job with us? I mean come on, most of us were calling for Millen to leave with GJ and now he's got a 3 year deal as manager.

I'll be very interested to seewhst contacts Millen possess in the game to secure some decent signings, loan or perm.

Let's see what gives, but l worry about this appointment nut more importantly how attractive a proposition we are to the sort of players and managers that we need to secure in order to make us a real threat in this Division?!

And if you believe that you will belive anything, Coppell will be back in football management, he has shown us huge disrespect, yes the chips are down through injuries, yes we may not have vast amount of money available for wages that he may like, but surely this is where a quality manager like we were led to believe shows exactly what he is worth....he bailed out cuz he knew we would struggle for a few months and it would tarnish his reputation. Leaving now after two games in charge keeps his reputation in some tact and he will get a good job again on back of what he did at Reading

The bloke is a c@nt

Absolutely spot on.

Millen is the only choice given the timing. If we advertised the job then this time Millen would rightly leave and we would have no leadership at all. Furthermore, nobody else would take the job knowing that by the time they were installed they would not be able to sign anyone until January.

We NEED Millen now and therefore we NEED to keep him sweet. Reducing the length of his contract would hardly achieve this.

I bang my head against the wall with this 3 year nonsense. He was on a 3 year contract already which we'd have had to pay him off if someone else came in.. Brining in a new manager on probably 2-3 times what KM is now on.. you do the maths. It makes no difference financially.

Give the guy a chance.

I'm happy to give millen a chance, really hope he does well as he is a nice bloke, just think that if we start drifting down the table, taking afew hammering's here and there, the knives will be out, the fans will get the raving hump(if they haven't already!) And both him and lansdown will be under massive pressure to make the change. Coppell has brought this situation on us though let's remember that, no blame can be put on lansdowns door, just hope our season does not go further downhill.

Dissapointment was my first reaction, but given the pre-season we've had together with the disasterous season start, I am beginning to think he is the right person for the job in hand right now, particularly given his success at the end of last season with essentially the same group of players.

Yesterday is history, onwards and upwards as they say. Let's all get behind him and the players to show this division what we are made of.

I wanted Millen to go when Tinnion went thought it was wrong to get to inexperienced guys in to the hot seat. If millen gets a good experienced assisstant it could work in our favour if the team gel and work better we could still be there or ther abouts in may next year. 3 year contract SL must be farley sure hes the man and that the team is good enough when all are fit.

Lets give the man a chance better the devil you know as they say and he has passion for the club better to have that than pay good money chasing someone who doesn't know the club.

Archived